Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in the states tried out the new trailmax missions? They aren't available in the UK yet (that I have seen), however chaparrel motorsports gave them a great review and even agreed that they were true 50/50 tyres!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad you found a setting that works great for you! What I also noticed, was initially with the OEM tires, I had to fight the bike in the curves, it would have a tendency to go wide. When I changed the tires for Shinkos 804/805, it completely transformed the bike, the bike now falls into corners effortlessly. Insane the difference a tire can make.
First, I'd like to admit that I'm a noob. I've had my bike less than two months and the cold and rain of Tennessee winter has greatly limited my seat time. But I did break my bike in 600 - 700 miles before I realized that I absolutely had to make a change.

Second, I'd like to agree with the quote above, even I could tell immediately that the stock Dunlop Trailmax D610 tires are complete garbage. On and off road. I agree with Speedo007's comment that the bike fought me in curves. And off road, they are worse than I imagine quality street tires would be. I always felt like I was risking my left to tread off the asphalt.

On to my review ... The difference between Dunlop Trailmax D610 and Dunlop "Trailmax" MISSION tires is amazing. When I rode the bike home on Friday, it was honestly unsettling how eager they are to drop into a turn. The transition is smooth and confidence inspiring. Now I realize this is how the bike was supposed to be. On a straight road, the tires are steady and quiet. I burst up to 90 mph for a few minutes just to see and they never waivered and had no vibration or abnormal sound.

I spent most of my 100 miles today off road. Specifically dirt roads, gravel roads (some packed denser than others) and I will repeat confidence inspiring. The stock tires made me paranoid but I quickly became increasingly comfortable speeding into turns, braking and powering out in gravel mode. They felt like a limited slip clutch. They would consistently spin what felt like an inch and then grab in and not let go. Then I found myself looking for mud and everywhere I saw it, I headed in.

In fact, they probably led to OVER confidence, as I kept pushing them into more and more mud until I lost the front end. I do not blame the tires but rather my inexperience.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Great feedback Kines. Yes, the standard Dunlop Trailmax D610 are substandard - I don't understand the politics behind that tire. Nice to learn your experience with the "Mission" tires is very positive.

·
Registered
273 Posts
After ~7,000km my Mitas E07+ rear doesn't have a lot left on it. It has performed well and I'll consider replacing it with another E07+ for the price/performance/longevity. If Dunlop start selling these Trailmax Missions in other countries then they could be worth considering too, they look like another good 50/50 option with good tyre life.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I can't comment, however I did see an owner of the facebook owners forum who imported them to england from the states and said they were pants in the wet, as much as I love kyle's videos and reviews, a small patch of water isn't quite the same as the consistently wet, sodden and pot hole filled roads of the UK.
At this point I have settle on getting Pirelli Rally STR's as my next tyres, one of my friends has had 2 sets of these on his AT and stands by them as fantastic road tyres and pretty capable off-road tyres, as I do more road and off-road miles (annoyingly) I have to go with more road biased tyres at this point, or until I get discs and reluctor rings for my spare rims!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personally I can't comment, however I did see an owner of the facebook owners forum who imported them to england from the states and said they were pants in the wet, as much as I love kyle's videos and reviews, a small patch of water isn't quite the same as the consistently wet, sodden and pot hole filled roads of the UK.
At this point I have settle on getting Pirelli Rally STR's as my next tyres, one of my friends has had 2 sets of these on his AT and stands by them as fantastic road tyres and pretty capable off-road tyres, as I do more road and off-road miles (annoyingly) I have to go with more road biased tyres at this point, or until I get discs and reluctor rings for my spare rims!
Does 'pants in the wet' mean they suck ? Just a translation thingy. I have the tires on for some 500k now and I also have the feeling they have less traction in the wet on tarmac than the Pirelli STR's I'm coming from. Traction control has been busy at traffic lights, but also coming out of corners. So maybe I'm spoiled with the Pirelli's but these don't give me the confidence of the STR's. Not sure if I should adapt my riding style or get a STR in the back. Front seems to be OK by the way, no problems (so far).

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm a avid fan of Karoo 3s but made the switch to the Trailmax Missions because of the reviews. I can address the wet weather traction after riding in pouring rain through mountain roads for over 30 miles. They work great in the rain. No issues what-so-ever. This includes water running across the road. No deep standing puddles. but definitely the water running on the road.

IMO, they aren't a true 50/50 tire. Again as a Karoo 3 fan which I consider a true 50/50 tire, the Missions aren't quite as good. But they aren't bad either. I would say they are more of a 60/40 or 70/40. Thats based on how and where I ride. They just aren't as "sure footed" in the loose stuff like gravel, loose sandy dirt. But on more firm dirt they are just fine. While I'll take a chance on mud with the Karoos I won't with the Missions. At some point I'll try it.

We'll see if the longevity is worth the trade off....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does 'pants in the wet' mean they suck ? Just a translation thingy. I have the tires on for some 500k now and I also have the feeling they have less traction in the wet on tarmac than the Pirelli STR's I'm coming from. Traction control has been busy at traffic lights, but also coming out of corners. So maybe I'm spoiled with the Pirelli's but these don't give me the confidence of the STR's. Not sure if I should adapt my riding style or get a STR in the back. Front seems to be OK by the way, no problems (so far).
Curiosity got the better of me ...

pants pl (plural only) pants - Wiktionary
  1. .......
  2. ........
  3. (Britain, slang) Rubbish; something worthless.You're talking pants!The film was a load [or pile] of pants.

·
Administrator
3,419 Posts
I'm a avid fan of Karoo 3s but made the switch to the Trailmax Missions because of the reviews. I can address the wet weather traction after riding in pouring rain through mountain roads for over 30 miles. They work great in the rain. No issues what-so-ever. This includes water running across the road. No deep standing puddles. but definitely the water running on the road.

IMO, they aren't a true 50/50 tire. Again as a Karoo 3 fan which I consider a true 50/50 tire, the Missions aren't quite as good. But they aren't bad either. I would say they are more of a 60/40 or 70/40. Thats based on how and where I ride. They just aren't as "sure footed" in the loose stuff like gravel, loose sandy dirt. But on more firm dirt they are just fine. While I'll take a chance on mud with the Karoos I won't with the Missions. At some point I'll try it.

We'll see if the longevity is worth the trade off....
Agree on the wet weather as well. I have ridden hundreds of miles on mountain roads in the rain and they never let me down.

Perhaps random FB reviews are pants? Hahaha. Maybe the reviewer didn't know the difference between the Trailmax Mission and the OEM Trailmax D610?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts