Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't hardly see the speedo when the sun is shining

Good way to get a ticket pulling into a small town :-(

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is true. Under certain light conditions it is vibrant and clear. But generaly it is hard to read.

I have a dream that the 2019 model will have a TFT display which will be backwards compatible and at a sensible price. Some smart connectivity features would not be a bad idea either.....

...but, I do not really believe that Honda will do me such a big favor..... :frown2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked at the owners manual for the first time and now I really hate this dash. A bike like this needs simplicity, if this dash broke down outside the US I'd have to throw the bike away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it true that the dash does not affect the ignition/performance at all? I've been told that we can remove the dash and the bike would run fine.

If that's so, it's a big relief since this thing would be impossible to have fixed in most places.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is it true that the dash does not affect the ignition/performance at all? I've been told that we can remove the dash and the bike would run fine.

If that's so, it's a big relief since this thing would be impossible to have fixed in most places.
I know no bike that needs the dash (or dials) to run. The dash is only for showing things, not a Proccessing unit of any sort.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know no bike that needs the dash (or dials) to run. The dash is only for showing things, not a Proccessing unit of any sort.
My last (and only) new bike was in 1971. I buy older used bikes and the newest bike of the 4 that I currently own was built in 96 and it has simple gauges.

Things like this traction control and ABS are making me nervous since repairing them is above my pay grade. I guess the complexity of the dash added to my fear.

I'm still wary but calming down

MeCasa

·
Registered
410 Posts
I did some search on LCD screens.

As it seems, the LCD screens use a polarising filter to be visible at all. Without the filter, the readings are simply invisible.

So, the orientation of the polarising filter defines if the display is a negative one (white readings on black background) or positive. Rotating the filter by 90deg, you change from possitive to negative and vice versa.

Obviously the positive display is by far much easier to read, contrary to the negative one. My understanding from reading in the net is that the only reason for going with negative display is that it looks cool!!!

Now, this filter is a film actually that it is glued on top of the LCD module. It can be removed and substituted by another filter with the proper orientation so that the diplay will be positive.

It sounds easier than it is though. Removing the OEM film is not that easy at all, it needs some surgical skills not to scratch the surface of the panel, and it requires quite some laborious cleaning of the display after to remove the glue residues. And finally, it needs some skill to apply the new filter without allowing air bubbles or dust particles.

I have found in the youtube some videos of people doing the mod on watches and other lcd displays. Polarising filters can be purchased even through ebay, and theoretically one can even choose different colors for their displays.

So the question is who will volunteer to treat his instrument cluster as a guinea pig .... :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's the worst display I've ever had on a bike. I can't believe it's actually legal because it's unreadable during the day (unless the sun is behind you) and unless you stare at it you cannot see the rpm either. With the bright colour displays available on the market today this is a disgrace by Honda to fit this on a 2018 model.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's the worst display I've ever had on a bike. I can't believe it's actually legal because it's unreadable during the day (unless the sun is behind you) and unless you stare at it you cannot see the rpm either. With the bright colour displays available on the market today this is a disgrace by Honda to fit this on a 2018 model.
I have an early 2016 and ridden the later models, all I can see in the display is a reflection of my white Shoei helmet, put me off completely swapping to an Adventure Sport.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I must admit that so far I haven't found the dash to be a problem at all - indeed, I think it's pretty good. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but a mixture of sunny and overcast weather. Is this an issue that comes up specific conditions? Or specific years? Mine's a 2019.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Mildly Interested, true it could be better in the sun but the display doesn't bother me and I can read it. It is also the same as when I researched which bike to get. I suggest you sell it if you dislike it so much and maybe move to the heaven that is Broke-My-Wallet or similar.

Regard from one Africa Twin lover!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I haven't had an issue with the display either (2018 ATAS). Once in a while it's just a tad difficult to read, but not so hard. Most of the time, it's fine.

I have adjusted mine to max brightness though, so maybe that helps.

Gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
The TFT on the 2020 model is horrendously complicated.
To be fair, this is the nature of these incredible displays showing everything and doing everything known to man and beast.
It does make me think that I miss the old simple dials!

As I speak I am going through the manual!

·
Registered
386 Posts
The TFT on the 2020 model is horrendously complicated.
To be fair, this is the nature of these incredible displays showing everything and doing everything known to man and beast.
It does make me think that I miss the old simple dials!

As I speak I am going through the manual!
this is true and untrue!
as there are numerous displays you can cycle through, some of them being really sparse!
Keep playing you'll surprise yourself lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is true and untrue!
as there are numerous displays you can cycle through, some of them being really sparse!
Keep playing you'll surprise yourself lol
ha, hope so.

All i do know right now is, at first glace, a plane's cockpit looks simpler! :laugh:

The buttons weren't that good with my new gloves either.

When on Urban do you know how to get those left hand side stats that you get on the Tour screen?
I like those - pillion, wheelie, etc.

Cheers
Ade

·
Registered
437 Posts
Between the instruments which has been turned to full brightness and my satnav, which I have displaying the speed. I have no problems keeping to the speed limits when I need to. The display on the new bike is nice. But for me, the cons of the new bike outweigh the pros. What rules it out for me as a contender is the height reduction. If I had wanted a lower bike I would have bought a standard bike in 2018. Producing a taller sports version, with a larger tank was just what I was waiting for. So despite the "improvements" the new bike is a step backwards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What rules it out for me as a contender is the height reduction. If I had wanted a lower bike I would have bought a standard bike in 2018. Producing a taller sports version, with a larger tank was just what I was waiting for. So despite the "improvements" the new bike is a step backwards.
There is an 890mm option and the standard seat goes up to 870mm.

Personally, even at 5' 10" with a 30" inside leg I bought the lowered seat option which takes it down to 830mm as I feel more comfortable with my feet down.
It was £140 so the higher seat option will likely be similar money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts