Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's very slight but I reckon the handlebars are skewed by about 2 degrees. Oddly I noticed the demo bike about 3 weeks ago had exactly the same skew.
Is it important?
Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mike loosen up your bar risers align the handlebars and re tighten the risers.

·
Registered
977 Posts
That's interesting. Mine are like that, too. The right side of the bar is slightly more towards me just like your photo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine is also. I thought it was due to a drop on the right side early in my bike's life, but perhaps it was always there and I just never noticed. Weird!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I thought it was from when I tied the bike down when I brought it home. I wonder if there is a reason for the handlebar to be that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is the same way, no drop. I also noticed my entire front plastics (fairing, headlight assembly, dash) are skewed off center.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's just the risers that are misaligned. I work in a shop and most ATs are like this. If you loosen the risers load the handlebar to the left and retighten it will straighten out
Pretty standard with dirt bikes or bikes with rubber mounted bars like DR650. If you drop the bike off road the bars will most likely be crook'd again.
Waste of time loosening the risers or loosening front axle and triple clamps / pumping & realigning.
Fastest fix is - Front wheel between the knees and wrench the bars - test - repeat until you have the alignment you like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine are also like this never been dropped, i loosened everything and pumped the suspension in an attempt to straighten them.. It didn't work i will try the risers tomorrow..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a follow up on this - my new (2018) bike has also come with skewed handlbars but this time the other way - i would say about 3 degrees skewed to the left. I've tried forcing them against the steering lock but it hasn't shifted them. Guess I will have to slacken off the bar risers, but here's a question. How do we know it's the handlebars and not misalignment of the front forks. The tops and bottom bridges do not come as one piece, so surely it's very possible to get them out of line on assembly or re-assembly. I've checked the workshop manual and there's no guidance on this so maybe it's impossible to get them out of line for some reason?
Mike

·
Registered
492 Posts
Usually the tolerances are tight enough that you can't get a top and bottom bridge out of alignment, unless something is very worn or bent. You CAN tighten everything up in the wrong sequence and get the forks to drag or bind on compression.

Loosen the bar clamps (they're tight as a tick). This will allow the rubber mounts at the bottom of the risers to normalize. Wiggle everything around until you're happy, then tighten the clamps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine was the handlebars too, forks were fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts