Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
Turn to the lock, sharp tug and they will straighten. Too much of a tug and you may go too far but if that happens just go to the other lock and tug again but this time with slightly less force.
I had to do it when I dropped my last AT, it fell off the Abba Sky Lift because I forgot to lock the castors before removing the offside part of the stand. Bars got twisted slightly so just put it full lock the opposite way, sharp tug and they moved too far so did it the opposite way and got them straight. I was surprised how easy it was to do.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
Pic from the manual of the 2020> but earlier ones will be the same.
Basically the bit arrowed is a rubber washer/bush. The stud on the risers goes through the yoke but it is an oversized hole to allow a bit of movement and the risers are basically held to the yoke by friction of the rubber against the yoke.
Organism Art Font Illustration Visual arts

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
554 Posts
Turn to the lock, sharp tug and they will straighten. Too much of a tug and you may go too far but if that happens just go to the other lock and tug again but this time with slightly less force.
I had to do it when I dropped my last AT, it fell off the Abba Sky Lift because I forgot to lock the castors before removing the offside part of the stand. Bars got twisted slightly so just put it full lock the opposite way, sharp tug and they moved too far so did it the opposite way and got them straight. I was surprised how easy it was to do.
That’s really helpful thanks!

It’s not just me that has dropped our bike off the abba sky lift then! I actually really do hate that contraption, so much so I have not used it since the last time my bike fell off the **** thing!

Oh well another waste of money I guess!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pic from the manual of the 2020> but earlier ones will be the same.
Basically the bit arrowed is a rubber washer/bush. The stud on the risers goes through the yoke but it is an oversized hole to allow a bit of movement and the risers are basically held to the yoke by friction of the rubber against the yoke.
View attachment 72652
That’s a great picture for helping understand the premise behind the mounting of the bar risers, so thanks again for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,010 Posts
Actually I think my description may be slightly off, seeing this image of an actual yoke shows the rubber insert sits in a pocket and the stud on the riser goes through the rubber and is held in position by the friction of the top and bottom washers. The insert imbedded in the rubber has the hole oversized compared to the stud to allow some movement/adjustment/shock absorption.
Same principle as I described before but it is the friction of the steel washers against the insert embedded in the rubber bush/washer that holds the risers in place.

Camera accessory Digital camera Camera lens Cameras & optics Gadget

·
Registered
554 Posts
lol - I was actually thinking of the plastics that help make up the twist mechanics. But yeah, I guess the encoder could be skewed with enough of the wrong force.
Well just as an update to this, I have been out to play with this on my bike in the garage as its raining ( again!) here in the UK right now.

It really only was a matter of putting the steering on full Right lock and pushing up on the left hand side of the bar end.

It's surprisingly easy to incur movement, in fact at first I took it a few degrees too far and had to bend it back again the other way.

Very easy to do, and I now know if I drop it again its easy to sort out before carrying on with my ride.

Thanks to everyone for the pointers!

Cheers.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts