Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A year ago I chose yet another NC750X rather than ordering a tricolour AT. It was a a very lucky decision because of the delays introduced by the earthquake, but I didn't know that, and I had gone for another NC because of 3 or 4 issues that members on here might have solved in the intervening 12 months. I'm having another test ride today.

Heated grips - are current bikes being supplied with heated grips that work as well as the NC or other Honda bikes
Spokes - are all the bikes now coming with the double plated spokes
Have they solved the leaking switchgear problem

Screens - I found the standard screen dreadful for buffeting, but there weren't many alternatives available then. And do aftermarket ones work ok with the OEM hand/knuckle guards

Storage - I couldn't see anywhere to stash small things like a visor spray or some sunglasses or some thin overtrousers or a pair of small rokstraps. Have people found any little spaces on the standard bike to stash these? Are there any decent (smaller) alternatives to the Honda panniers and topbox?

Tyres - are there any more road focussed tyres available yet

Suspension - there aren't many complaints about the suspension but i found it only a little better than my NC. I think that may have been because I didn't adjust the damping before the last test ride. Is it easy to do, and do I need to take any special tools to do it.
Thanks
Mike
BTW is there a helmet locking mechanism on the bike anywhere?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - Ive not posted before here but I have a Africa Twin so I feel I can answer.

The OEM grips are sh1t. I went for the oxford ones the sport bike ones NOT the adventure ones. The adventure ones are longer and you have to move things around. The sports ones are perfect and so hot I can't have them on full.

Spokes. I sprayed my front and back with ACF50 and have had no issues at all all over winter here in the UK. I commute every day to work rain , sun or snow. I re apply about once a month it takes 2 mins.

Storage - its also poor. I have the SW motech rack panniers and topbox. If im not using them I put on a kriega back pack.

Tyres - I have to say Ive found no issues with the stock rubber. I ride with two very fast advanced IAM instructors every week on road focused bikes and can always keep up without issues. If you are a smooth fast rider the rubber is fine. However I can't really see what tyre you would like to buy that is still not available now. My next set will be a k60.

Suspension - You are right. It is very easy to adjust - i stiffened mine up a little from memory.

The helmet locking mechanism is under the seat.

Ive not had any issues with leaking switchgear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things you may not know.

The foot pegs are crap. I changed mine for some pivot pegs.
The hand guards are really wind guards. I changed mine for Barkbusters.
The chain rusts if not kept oiled. I fitted a scotoiler.
The best screen is the stock one with the adjuster- search google for Batzen screen adjuster.
The side stand end is too small - I added a SW Motech foot.
The bike comes with no center stand. I added the SW Motech one but its a total bitch to fit (to pull the two springs). Get the dealer to fit an OEM one for you.
The OEM luggage is poor as are the OEM bars. Again I found SW Motech much better.

After doing all that I can honestly say its the best bike I have ever owned- by a mile.

Any more questions message me back.

·
Registered
797 Posts
6500 miles in and I've just had the heated grip fix carried out....still poor. Buy Oxfords.

My spokes are like new even after 5000 miles. But I've now fitted a pair of Alpina wheels as they're tubless and sexy as fek !

Left switch replaced under warranty...no probs so far with the new one, but it's early days yet and I honestly don't think there's anything different about it. I've also noticed Honda have fitted the same left cluster on the new Fireblade.

Continental Trail Attack 2's....absolutely brilliant wet or day with good longevity. The Dunlops are an old design and IMO OK in the dry, crap in every other way.

I've the Honda panniers. They're fine and mine have been totally waterproof (and well tested unfortunately). There's better to be had, but I like not having scaffolding to hang panniers off. I got rid of the Honda topbox and went SW-Motech Alu Rack with adapter plate for a Givi box. Far better set-up as you have a nice sized rack to use without the box on.

OE horn dumped....Stebel Low tone fitted.

MRA short screen....much better if you wear a peaked lid. I don't try to hide behind ever bigger screens.

Five clicks extra on the rear suspension when loaded, other that that I leave it alone and it's fine for me.

Storage, I use under the pillion for my puncture repair kit and there's enough space under my seat for visor cleaner/cloth etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
6500 miles in and I've just had the heated grip fix carried out....still poor. Buy Oxfords.

My spokes are like new even after 5000 miles. But I've now fitted a pair of Alpina wheels as they're tubless and sexy as fek !

Left switch replaced under warranty...no probs so far with the new one, but it's early days yet and I honestly don't think there's anything different about it. I've also noticed Honda have fitted the same left cluster on the new Fireblade.

Continental Trail Attack 2's....absolutely brilliant wet or day with good longevity. The Dunlops are an old design and IMO OK in the dry, crap in every other way.

I've the Honda panniers. They're fine and mine have been totally waterproof (and well tested unfortunately). There's better to be had, but I like not having scaffolding to hang panniers off. I got rid of the Honda topbox and went SW-Motech Alu Rack with adapter plate for a Givi box. Far better set-up as you have a nice sized rack to use without the box on.

OE horn dumped....Stebel Low tone fitted.

MRA short screen....much better if you wear a peaked lid. I don't try to hide behind ever bigger screens.

Five clicks extra on the rear suspension when loaded, other that that I leave it alone and it's fine for me.

Storage, I use under the pillion for my puncture repair kit and there's enough space under my seat for visor cleaner/cloth etc.
Davy F - since you've had the Honda top box can you tell me what's left when you remove the box? Does the adapter keep you from using the rack for other things? Thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Davy F - since you've had the Honda top box can you tell me what's left when you remove the box? Does the adapter keep you from using the rack for other things? Thanks.
What's left is still usable, just not as usable as the SW Motech plate.

I started a thread a few weeks ago about the mods I've done to my bike somewhere here, might be worth a look as it has a better pic of the SW rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I concur with nearly all with what has been said above. Excellent and informative posts.

Please, please do not waste your time or money purchasing the OEM grips until someone can post the temperature readings to demonstrate the fix and temperatures that can match the Oxford grips. I’ve had mine changed from OEM to Oxford grips. With the advice from Dancerdave I had the touring Oxford grips installed by my dealer, perfect fit. Sooo much better.

Forget buying additional screens, fit the Batzen screen adjuster, as mentioned above. Excellent piece of kit and great value for what it achieves.

Re Top box
SW-MOTECH STEEL-RACK GPT.01.622.20000/B + SW-MOTECH STEEL-RACK adapter kit for TTRAX (not the ugly plastic adapter) GPT.00.152.20101/B other kits available if you want to use GIVI et cetera. Go for the steel rack as it is stronger and has better weight rating especially if you’re going to use the kit as opposed to the ugly plastic adapter.

Regarding tyres if you do intend on riding in the wet and want confidence in the tyres under sudden manoeuvring/breaking then as suggested Continental Trail Attack 2's are a no-brainer.

In my view if you’re going to check anything or spend money on improvements ensure you have the best brakes chain and tyres… The brakes are fine and the chain is okay for the time being; when needs changing will go for DID X-RING G&G 525ZVMX/124 eBay item number: 142012163361.

I added the SW Motech one but its a total bitch to fit (to pull the two springs). Get the dealer to fit an OEM one for you.
As the dealer didn’t have one I purchased the Motech and agree entirely that the springs were a bitch. However it’s completed and perfect now.

Although the original foot pegs weren’t too bad I also changed them for pivot pegs. (This one is really going to be about personal preference)

I did change the horn, simple plug and play Ring REH150/400. Vast improvement. Excellent price eBay item number:401227866196 and quality kit too.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with what's been said.

Oxford grips much better and a 1/4 of the price.

My 2016 bike suffered from rusted spokes, wheels, chain, sprocket and bolts very quickly even after using AC50.

The standard screen did not work for me. The MRA touring screen was better but still a fair amount of buffering got around it. The adjustable one mentioned above gets better reviews.

Some find the tyres OK others including myself think they are the most dangerous rubber we have had since the 70s. There might have been a batch/QC issue. With Conti TA2s it is a different bike.

The suspension is soft, however as you know upping the preload will just make the bike taller. I am 5'11" and preferred the seat to be lower so left the preload at the factory setting, the shock didn't bottom out so was OK. If I had kept the bike I would have spent a bit of money improving the springs.

The OEM panniers were fine for road use, there are better options if you need them to be more rugged.

One point on the pegs, yes they are too small for off road, but if you are staying on tarmac they are good because you may find they are right where you want to put your legs when stopped at lights etc, so the smaller the better.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I had a test ride yesterday (12 months after having my first tes ride. I have written up my thoughts in a separate thread. The advice you have all kindly given above is somewhat moot as they want about $10,000 for me to change my one-year old NC750X for a new AT. However, if I decide to take the plunge I will bear all the comments in mind.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts