Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys tried wrapping the exhaust with that fiberglass wrap you see on hot rods or some Harleys?
I'm heading to Alaska in July and running up the Dalton... I'm going to hit mud, gravel, dirt, rain... etc... was thinking about how to protect the header pipes from road damage and that Calcium Chloride stuff they spray on the dirt to keep it from drying out...
That stuff looks like it sucks trying to wash it off.

I'd like to keep the bike looking great for years... I don't want to discolor the headers... just trying to see if anyone's done it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have any of you guys tried wrapping the exhaust with that fiberglass wrap you see on hot rods or some Harleys?

I'm heading to Alaska in July and running up the Dalton... I'm going to hit mud, gravel, dirt, rain... etc... was thinking about how to protect the header pipes from road damage and that Calcium Chloride stuff they spray on the dirt to keep it from drying out...

That stuff looks like it sucks trying to wash it off.

I'd like to keep the bike looking great for years... I don't want to discolor the headers... just trying to see if anyone's done it.

In my humble opinion. dont worry too much. I have been an offroader since my first bike and the AT was my first fully road legal Bike. I still ride my AT mostly offroad and headers always end up with crud caked and baked to their surface its just a great way to show youve been off the Tarmac. otherwise its probably your beat bet if you really must keep them clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would think that wrapping them would keep the chemical and water trapped against the headers and do more harm than good.
I bought a 2nd hand DR650 that had an exhaust wrap. After a while the wrap was breaking down and I removed it, it sure was rusty under the wrap. I didn't replace the wrap and the exhaust header stayed in much better condition without it.

I wouldn't bother using exhaust wrap - it is pointless and promotes rust.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a 2nd hand DR650 that had an exhaust wrap. After a while the wrap was breaking down and I removed it, it sure was rusty under the wrap. I didn't replace the wrap and the exhaust header stayed in much better condition without it.

I wouldn't bother using exhaust wrap - it is pointless and promotes rust.
It is called "crevice corrosion". When stainless steel is deprived of oxygen it is unable to create the strong oxide coating that protects it. If left exposed to air and not polished, the oxide coating it will discolor and dull the finish but not corrode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.... I guess I'll go with a fender extension and maybe a larger skid plate that covers more of the pipes...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.... I guess I'll go with a fender extension and maybe a larger skid plate that covers more of the pipes...
Factory skid-plate pretty much covers no part of the pipes, leaves rocks free to bounce off the headers.
My Outback Motortek skid-plate is tons better, covers those headers really well. On gravel it isn't unusual to hear stones bouncing off the skid-plate, it definitely makes me feel better having it on there!

·
Registered
492 Posts
People started putting header wrap on pipes to disguise the existing rust and damage, since you can't economically refinish them. It's now become a style, but it doesn't do anything for the metal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am interested to put exhaust wrap on the headers of my 2017 AT. The main reason is visual and a little protection.

Been researching it with regards to protection and found some info:

Pros
  • Creates an insulated layer that will affect the heat of the exhaust gases leaving the cylinders. This can result in a more complete burn of the fuel air mixture, and can have some positive effects on the pressure wave in the exhaust system.
  • may protect against stone and gravel damage being kicked up by the front wheel

Cons
  • cost and hassle of installation (not so much I think)
  • holds water and other road chemicals (salt) against the header pipes which may lead to premature rusting, even though the headers and stainless steel.

If you, like me like the look of the wrap, I think it is a cheap and relatively easy mod. I have not done it yet because I hesitate at the potential damage that it may cause with corrosion.

As far as protecting the headers off road, I think the wrap will do little. If you get a good hard knock, resulting in a dent, the downside is the tape may even hide this damage from you. I'd rather know that I have a damaged pipe than it the damage being hidden beneath the wrap.

Anyway, I am on the edge when it comes to this because I think wrap would look way cool.

Id love to get some other thoughts on this from others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts