Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlight Protection vs Headlight Cost

Just a warning for those of you who don't have headlight protectors. I was looking through the Honda parts catalog and was surprised (actually shocked) when I saw the cost of the headlight assembly. Even from an OEM parts vendor with known good discounts, the headlight assembly is US$1087.00. It comes as a single piece - it doesn't look possible to replace a single broken lens - the whole assembly is the only way to buy it.

Next on my shopping list is some very good headlight protection. Any suggestions for a good headlight protection system.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Tmac, I went for a cheap perspex cover. I have looked at the wire ones which whilst looking all tough and adventurey don't actually look very effective. The ones with the mesh tight enough to actually stop smaller stones would appear to cut out loads of light and the ones that have a mesh open enough to let a safe amount of light through won't stop small stones. I am sure that won't stop people buying them as look cool.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Powerbronze do a good set for £25, either as two singles or a one piece. I think they have 1p delivery in the UK at the moment. You can have then in pretty much any colour you like but they do remind you that clear, light tint and yellow are the only road legal colours (for the UK anyway but probably for most of EuropeI would suggest). Great value with the new super low Brexit £!

They also do three replacement screen sizes in a multitude of colours and a very cool looking beak for £95, the matt black beak would suit any AT colour as it would blend well with the matt black headlight assembly. Picture on their website, I have robbed it for here, sure they wont mind. Note you cannot use the beak with Honda Fairing Bars. Most stuff to order so be prepared to wait a little for delivery. www.powerbronze.co.uk or get the same beak from Rugged Roads, cheaper again.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
TMac99 is right from what I saw in the HONDA EPG (Electronic Parts Catalogue)
So I'm ordering a pair of these - check out this site, and only $72au, thats like us$50
Cheep headlight insurance me thinks..

http://www.amhp.com.au/
It's one of the first farkles I put on my AT - Very happy with them. They have worked well on other bikes. The only time one has come off, is when a large crow threw itself at my head light; Light survived, crow didn't!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just a warning for those of you who don't have headlight protectors. I was looking through the Honda parts catalog and was surprised (actually shocked) when I saw the cost of the headlight assembly. Even from an OEM parts vendor with known good discounts, the headlight assembly is US$1087.00. It comes as a single piece - it doesn't look possible to replace a single broken lens - the whole assembly is the only way to buy it.

Next on my shopping list is some very good headlight protection. Any suggestions for a good headlight protection system.
So how do you think you might break a polycarb head light, its been many a year since I have seen a broken headlight on a car or a bike. it must be several decades since I have seen an object able to brake a headlight unit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So how do you think you might break a polycarb head light, its been many a year since I have seen a broken headlight on a car or a bike. it must be several decades since I have seen an object able to brake a headlight unit.
Hi Skip, you may have something here :)
I have seen a few broken polycarb headlights in my time, but come to think of it they were all from crash jobs :(
and not even a H/L Protector will save them from a crash,
next chance I get to go to the wreckers I'm going to test a damaged one with a hammer :) that's what I do :) ha ha ha
anybody else test one ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Two words - stone chip, happened to my wifes car and my daughters car causing them both to fail their annual inspection. Both had to have complete new headlights as they were one piece. For £25 it is a reasonably cheap investment.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Skip, you may have something here :)
I have seen a few broken polycarb headlights in my time, but come to think of it they were all from crash jobs :(
and not even a H/L Protector will save them from a crash,
next chance I get to go to the wreckers I'm going to test a damaged one with a hammer :) that's what I do :) ha ha ha
anybody else test one ?
Will be interested, I am not saying it cant be done. Its just that I have seen lots of objects going through radiators, and even plastics broken with items coming off the road but its been a long time since I have seen a broken headlamp. I do run the thick clear plastic film on the leading edges of some of the fairings and the headlights but thats just to prevent road rash from gravel hitting the plastics when following somebody.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am very interested in the outcome of the 'hammer test'!

I have previously used perspex protectors, so I just used what I know works for me. I have gone for orange over the dim light and clear over the bright light. Orange over the dims so that the light is more visible to other drivers.

I have in the past had to replace a perspex lens after being hit by a fairly big stone, but that is better the replacing the headlight!

Attached is a picture of what they look like on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
The HAMMER test,
So I asked old mate down at the Wreckers for a test Headlight, I said "I wana do a hammer test" he said, "tried that, hammer is too flat just bounce off." "need something pointy and at high speed" so I ask what about small chips that my fail a roadworthy inspection? he said "I always just use headlight protection film" "cheep, works and looks good" I said OK.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reviving this thread as I'm debating on getting headlight protection...

While I mentioned in my other thread, on my previous adv motorcycles I've had headlight protection, but have never had a rock hit the front of the bike let alone the guard. BUT I reckon' it only takes once. I do tend to ride in a group (2 or more) when I ride off-road which is 50% of the time. And here in CO, there can be just about every type of terrain including gravel and rocks.

I'll admit I'm being a bit picky here. I'm not a fan of the type of protectors that use velcro to attach the protectors to the lens. Just doesn't look "clean" to me. I like the clean look of the Altriders mounting, http://www.altrider.com/altrider-clear-headlight-guard-for-the-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin/pid/2218, but I'm not sure if it will fit with my touratech upper crashbars since they share a common mount point. I do get if it does work together I'd need longer screws.

I'm not a fan of the Touratech version as it appears the strap would probably rub on the paint. If someone has them can they verify if it rubs the painted body work?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Puig has one also that looks pretty clean on the bike. (Listed on RevZilla for $132) It looks similar to the AltRider but I believe the AltRider can be popped off to clean while the Puig has to be unscrewed.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I bought the Tankslapper film kit that protects the tank, upper fairing (front), fork tubes and the headlights - if you're looking for invisible.

Also bought the Powerbronze headlight protector (had to change the 3M fasteners to black) looks good IMHO.

Attachments

Reactions: artbone and AdvArt

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
Reviving this thread as I'm debating on getting headlight protection...

While I mentioned in my other thread, on my previous adv motorcycles I've had headlight protection, but have never had a rock hit the front of the bike let alone the guard. BUT I reckon' it only takes once. I do tend to ride in a group (2 or more) when I ride off-road which is 50% of the time. And here in CO, there can be just about every type of terrain including gravel and rocks.

I'll admit I'm being a bit picky here. I'm not a fan of the type of protectors that use velcro to attach the protectors to the lens. Just doesn't look "clean" to me. I like the clean look of the Altriders mounting, http://www.altrider.com/altrider-clear-headlight-guard-for-the-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin/pid/2218, but I'm not sure if it will fit with my touratech upper crashbars since they share a common mount point. I do get if it does work together I'd need longer screws.

I'm not a fan of the Touratech version as it appears the strap would probably rub on the paint. If someone has them can they verify if it rubs the painted body work?

I am using the AltRider headlight guards with the Touratech bars. It’s a tight fit, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts