Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Suzuki V-Strom had twin headlights which were probably the best I had ever experienced on a motorcycle to that point. Both light were on whether low beam or high beam was selected. My ATAS has one light on with high beam or low beam and the other only lights up when high beam is selected. I prefer both lights lit at all times but will live with one on low beam and two on high beam. I have noticed a lot of other bikes with this combination on the street in the last few years. Is this a legislative thing or a marketing thing?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I do not know if it is marketing or legislation, but, anyone considering doing a mod must keep in mind that there is not just a wiring thing but also, the high beam headlight has different deflector to concentrate the light and spread it to a longer distance.
There is a kit in the market (I guess more than one, actually) that keeps both headlights ON, while reducing luminosity on the High Beam one. Then, it goes to 100% power on the High Beam when so selected.

To me this is a bad idea:

1. it is not only the intensity of light that blinds the opposite traffic; it is also the angle of the light and this does not change with those kits.

2. Keeping the high beam light ON, at say 50% or whatever the designer of those systems has assumed as proper, means that you effectively loose the passing signal. It is a very low probability that a car driver's (and not only) attention will be caught by a light going from 50% to 100%. What makes the difference in passing signal is that a discrete light source appears where it did not exist.

The Varadero has both headlights ON on both beams, and believe me its lights were superior to the DLVs. Still, I have noticed that using the passing signal on the Africa Twin is much more effective on other drivers. I can only account this to the fact that, it is much more attention grabbing a light that will illuminate, rather than an already ON light that will change intensity or angle.

I also do not really love the cyclops view of the AT, but I would not be messing up with the configuration.

?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also do not really love the cyclops view of the AT, but I would not be messing up with the configuration.
?
I don't intend to change it. I like the idea of both lights working on high beam and low beam. That way if one element in one light fails, the remaining one doesn't literally leave you in the dark. I had the headlight shut down once at night. that is not an experience I want to go through again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't like the lop sided view of many bikes like this now !!!
mine came with two fog lamps which I keep on all the time,
if you don't have these--- very easy to buy a couple of aftermarket lamps from ebay rather than mess with any kits

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not mind too much if both lights are lit on dipped or not. There is no way I can see them while riding so who cares. What I do not like though is the low beam is not great. Throw is fine, but spread is uneven and not that wide. Honda consistently is disappointing me with the lights as my previous NC was rubbish too. Adding fog lights resolved the issue in a way, but still not perfect solution as they are technically illegal to use unless fog.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My vote goes for both lit all time. Also had a Vee, in particular early K2 model and it even had a toggle switch for headlights back then. Liked it a lot, 'cause for one thing in bright daylight there's no actual difference whether headlights on or off so it could save bulbs and some energy, and for the other - it can help a weak battery to turn the starter rather than going flat on last useless illumination.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I do not mind too much if both lights are lit on dipped or not. There is no way I can see them while riding so who cares. What I do not like though is the low beam is not great. Throw is fine, but spread is uneven and not that wide. Honda consistently is disappointing me with the lights as my previous NC was rubbish too. Adding fog lights resolved the issue in a way, but still not perfect solution as they are technically illegal to use unless fog.

Technically there are A LOT of things that are illegal. Crash-bars are also illegal, free flow exhausts are definitely illegal..... ok, let's not discuss removing the catalyst. A proper set of fog-lights through, should not be if it enhances passive safety.

I also find the ATAS headlight a total disappointment, I simply cannot drive with the stock lights. So I have added a pair of fog lights that are VERY good, not only because of their light intensity and light pattern, but because they have a proper separation line and do not blind the other drivers. So, I keep them ON at all times; they make the bike more visible in day time and they make thew road visible in night time

·
Registered
23 Posts
Strictly speaking we are not talking about fog lights, 'cause this type of lights designed specifically for the condition after its name - fog, dust, mist etc. This is a so called zone 1 area, closest to the vehicle and doesn't spread far enough to help in normal road conditions and speeds. The light assembly is characterized by reflector and light pattern design, so one might want to illuminate Zone 3 and Zone 4 as well:

·
Registered
108 Posts
This from the Skene website:

NOTE: The stock high beam bulb in the 2019 Honda Africa Twin is NOT compatible with the IQ-270-A.

·
Registered
353 Posts
This from the Skene website:

NOTE: The stock high beam bulb in the 2019 Honda Africa Twin is NOT compatible with the IQ-270-A.
Well that's another way to put it, lol
The Skene stuff works with any LED even the Honda AT ones (who or what kind of LED is a mystery)
IMO, the driver that lights up the LED headlight is the problem. So the only possible alteration (that is safe) is to rearrange the wiring if you know what you're doing.
Those are very pricey headlights :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts