Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my AT manual back in March. It was an 18' model carryover. Back in March our weather was in the upper 60's lower 70's. Rode to work yesterday and in the morning was around 73 deg. On the way home it was 100 deg. I felt the heat from the radiators almost cooking my knees! I was worried it was going to melt the crash bar bags...LOL. The temp gauge on the dash was at 3 tick marks and stayed there. I guess my question is...is this normal? Have had Harley's and a lot of air/water cooled dirt bikes just never felt this kind of heat. Maybe not used to the fans blowing/pulling air out like that. Coolant level is good.

2018 AT Manual Transmission.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I noticed when I rode across the American southwest last summer that I could not stick my knees out, because then they were into the radiator exhaust. When I kept them close, I couldn't feel it. I don't have anything on the front to disrupt the airflow; might try taking the bar bags off to see. I'm 6'1".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im in west texas and i have been meaning to ask the same thing since i got the twin, never felt heat like this on any bike i have had, its nice on the cool mornings, but not during the day. I also tuck my knees in to block it. I think thats all you can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my knees in the tank. Noticed when I got in the garage the crash bars were warm as well. I have the heed bars. I am 6’2” and my knees are close to the exhaust of the radiator shrouds when riding.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I guess you are referring to the standard AT, because with my ATAS I have never experienced heat from the radiators even on very hot days (some 36deg Centigrade). But then the tank and fairings on the ATAS are considerably wider.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got a '17 AT and never noticed any heat from the radiators. I'm 6'0" but do tend to keep my knees close to the tank too. I cam from sport bikes and rode may SoCal summers. Virtually all of them put of much more heat than my AT. BTW, I have Heed bars as well, but no bags. Could your bags be channeling the heat to your knees? Maybe try running it on a hot day without the bags??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hit man that was my thought. The bags are away from the bike but it could be making a pocket or something like that focusing heat. Going to try it on the way home today.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a pic of the Givi crash bar bag on my bike. It does look like it traps a little heat on the exhaust side of the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Removed the bags and still had a little heat but not as bad. Now just have tail bag on. Will use the crash bar bags when I’m on longer trips and have more airflow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 2016 came with them fitted (I'm in Australia). I regularly ride in 40C (100F) plus temperatures, including slow off-road stuff, and I've never felt any heat from the radiators. Might be worth thinking about fitting some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should be able to get them through your Honda dealer. ADV Motorrad in the US carries them as well.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bought my AT manual back in March. It was an 18' model carryover. Back in March our weather was in the upper 60's lower 70's. Rode to work yesterday and in the morning was around 73 deg. On the way home it was 100 deg. I felt the heat from the radiators almost cooking my knees! I was worried it was going to melt the crash bar bags...LOL. The temp gauge on the dash was at 3 tick marks and stayed there. I guess my question is...is this normal? Have had Harley's and a lot of air/water cooled dirt bikes just never felt this kind of heat. Maybe not used to the fans blowing/pulling air out like that. Coolant level is good.

2018 AT Manual Transmission.

I am assuming that you are a tall rider, I had exactly the same thing you can buy from Honda things called "Lower Deflectors" when I got them I thought I had been ripped off but they do work very well. You can probably make something up yourself that does the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m gonna look into these. I remember I had heat deflectors on the rear cylinder of my old road king. Just want to make sure they don’t force air directly into the crash bar bags and melt them......if that’s possible.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I’m gonna look into these. I remember I had heat deflectors on the rear cylinder of my old road king. Just want to make sure they don’t force air directly into the crash bar bags and melt them......if that’s possible.
I think it is a way remote chance that the hot air from the radiators would melt the bar bags, unless of course they are pure nylon....

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've had my 17 leftover for about 3 months now. Heed bars w/o bags and haven't felt to much heat. Last weekends ride coming back into Atlanta it was about 93F and I did notice some heat but nothing out of the ordinary.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts