Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've started a new thread on this to try to get down to the clear facts of where the OEM grips are at the moment.

I'm currently seeking any feedback as to whether there is a 'fix' for the OEM heated grips. I have them on my Africa and have always thought they were pretty poor - even in an OZ winter. Essentially you can feel some warmth until the temperature drops below 10 degrees celsius and then you wouldn't know they're on.

I have read that there is a 'noise filter' or some other additional parts that have made them work better. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had these new parts or noise filter added and what was the end result. I've heard everything from yes there is an improvement to that they are no better. Is there even a whole other heat control box??? I've heard that one too.

I'm looking to raise the issue with my dealer before the bike gets serviced next week and I want to be able to provide honest feedback from AT owners who have had 'the fix' done to their bikes.

As they stand they are not fit for purpose and I can not believe Honda has not recalled or repaired the bikes fitted with these grips. It is pretty poor that Honda waits for the customer to raise the issue. Quite frustrating when you think of what this accessory cost!!!! Further more, to keep selling them to customers even though the issue is well known is in my opinion a "sin of omission'. I raised the issue at the point of purchase and was told there was already a new kit so the problem was fixed. I purchased my bike in February 2016. The grips were not fitted until around April as you had to wait for the accessories when you ordered the bike. Obviously this information proved incorrect.

Eagerly awaiting your responses!!!

Cheers

Wadeo :frown2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in Canada, bought my Twin in February, had them install the heated grips.

I'm coming from an 07 GSA with OEM BMW grips.

The Twin grips got just as hot as my BMW did, which is plenty hot.

I have no answer as to why mine work fine in comparison to many who have had issues. My guess is that the controller I have is from a new batch. That would explain why they work properly for me.

It's very Japanese to not admit fault, but to quietly just fix the problem. That would explain why there is no word from Honda that 'there's a fix'.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have checked all the part numbers and I have the very latest bits as a "fix" on mine. They don't work. A guy on one of the forums did some proper tests and they are much cooler than ALL the other grips tested. The official view from Honda UK is that they work to specification, but, get this, they won't tell you what that specification is as it's commercially sensitive so classified. Apparently to fix the issue properly is a major job and involves some major hardware changes which Honda aren't going to want to pay for. They refused to refund the cost of my grips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm picking up my '2017' model in 2 days and I ordered the heated grips, which the dealer is fitting. My dealer tells me that the 2017 model includes a number of fixes for issues with the 2016, but apart from the corroding spoke issue he couldn't be specific. I hope the heated grip issue is resolved. I'm coming from a Multistrada with heated grips so I have a good benchmark (they were pretty hot).

I'll report back shortly.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the responses so far. I felt there might be still issues and as a result I didn't want to rant about it only to find that all the fuss was in vain.

The whole grip thing is tricky from my experience as it is all about the air temperature at the time you are testing. I too, when the grips were first fitted, thought mine were fine when it was moderately cool, the warmth was there - not great but at least there. I rode on a 4 degree frosty morning with my cousin on a Transalp fitted with Oxfords. I thought mine had broke as in those conditions the heat just disappeared. It's as if the alloy bars get that cold it just extinguishes any heat. By comparison the Oxfords were burning wholes in your gloves. The bikes were both turned off and had been for around 2 minutes when I grabbed the Transalp grips and I couldn't believe how hot they still were even though the bike was turned off.

Once again, thanks for your insight on the matter. I will only raise the spoke issue then.... that's a whole other story...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm picking up my '2017' model in 2 days and I ordered the heated grips, which the dealer is fitting. My dealer tells me that the 2017 model includes a number of fixes for issues with the 2016, but apart from the corroding spoke issue he couldn't be specific. I hope the heated grip issue is resolved. I'm coming from a Multistrada with heated grips so I have a good benchmark (they were pretty hot).

I'll report back shortly.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, I'd appreciate your opinion on the matter!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got my 2017 a few months now.was told,spokes and heated grips sorted,they never heard of set button sticking.Mind u when I mentioned problems with heated grips and spokes b4 I purchased,the dealer not hear about them either?.decided to wait and see bout the heated grips.glad I did now.had 500 km on bike and notice the so called double dipped spokes on back wheel starting to corode.front looks ok.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had my fix carried out on Monday. So far, not impressed.
Sorry to hear that the 'fix' has been an epic fail. In your part of the world you need heated grips that actually work. C'mon Honda, get your act together!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thing I am sure about, when a fix does come along the grips will still be no where near as good as Oxfords and still 4 times the price.

For those of us who already paid for the OEMs we have to keep hoping Honda will improve them. For new buyers get the Oxfords it is a no brainier. If you want the OEMs because of the integration into the dash don't bother, it is just a tiny icon which is not worth the money. Oxfords ( and others ) are as hot as the full power OEMs when on 30% and have 9 levels.

The dealers near me are now telling all new buyers to go for aftermarket grips and stay clear of the OEMs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing I am sure about, when a fix does come along the grips will still be no where near as good as Oxfords and still 4 times the price.

For those of us you already paid for the OEMs we have to keep hoping Honda will improve them. For new buyers get the Oxfords it is a no brainier. If you want the OEMs because of the integration into the dash don't bother, it is just a tiny icon which is not worth the money. Oxfords ( and others ) are as hot as the full power OEMs when on 30% and have 9 levels.

The dealers near me are now telling all new buyers to go for aftermarket grips and stay clear of the OEMs.
Great advice, I totally agree!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well said Wilco10

Please, please do not waste your time or money purchasing the OEM grips until someone can post the temperature readings to demonstrate the fix heats them to match the Oxford grips. I’ve had mine changed from OEM to Oxford grips. With the advice from Dancerdave I got the touring Oxford grips as they are the right size/length. As previously mentioned the only difference between the different Oxford grips is length, and much less important, the grip pattern. I had them Installed by my Honda dealer, perfect fit and so much better.

As previously posted
Some temperature readings using digital infrared thermometer of the Honda OEM heated grips.

I ran the engine for 10 minutes (and continued running engine throughout readings) before taking readings at setting 1,2,4 & 5 (took much longer than I thought so I skipped setting three).
At settings 1 and 2 the temperature readings on left grip were the same as the right (throttle) grip. At settings 4 and 5 there was a variance where the right grip was hotter.
I took several readings to ensure that the grips reached their maximum temperature at the settings and also noticed that there was a slight variance depending where on the grip reading was taken from.

The ambient temperature was 12.1°C

Honda OEM grips Pre Fix
Setting one 16.2°C
Setting two 24.8°C Nice incremental change through the settings
Setting four L 42°C R 44.9°C
Setting five L 42°C R 48.1°C

Current test: ambient temperature 13.6°C

Oxford Hotgrips Advanced Touring UK SPECIFIC
owing to time only tested at top setting, nice incremental heat change through the settings

Setting five L 61.3°C R 53.4°C

As can be seen the clutch side is significantly hotter with the Oxford grips, on my installation anyway. Although not tested in the 0 to 5°C ambient temperature range, that is where one can truly test the effectiveness, I am confident they will perform and at least be much better than OEM.
It would be helpful, if someone that states the fix has worked, to post temperature readings.

For you Fair-weather riders the above will be irrelevant:wink2:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm quite quite sure the oe Honda grips will never get as hot as the Oxford grips....ever ever ever !

On a slight plus, I went out again on mine and I do think they are a tad better than they were, still couldn't fry an egg on them tho', so I'm sure as far as Honda are concerned, they'll now say they are fixed and don't bother us again.

I suppose I can just wait until they break and then fit a set of Oxfords, but it does stick in the throat to think how much these oe grips cost and how they can't compete against Oxfords costing a quarter of the price. :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sooooooo want the factory set-up but with all the issues.... I just like the clean look and function of the factory stuff. I know most everyone has no issues with the Oxford set-up but just don't want the big control box hanging off my bars . Ohhhhhhh the dilemma !!!!!:surprise:

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 2006 BMW R1200RT (recently sold awaiting AT) heated grips were very hot on level-2. Nice If ambient was 5C or less but otherwise too hot.

Oxfords on my DR650 functioned perfectly heat-wise (too hot to just right) but were too large diameter and too hard for me.

Just rode a loaner 2013 BMW R1200GS today (10C ambient) and had to take my gloves off to ensure they were working. Level-2 was cooler than level-1 on my old RT.

So perhaps there has been a change in OEM heated grip temperature standards in recent years and Honda meets a nominal OEM standard? I'd be screaming at BMW for shite heated grips if the GS was my bike.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I sooooooo want the factory set-up but with all the issues.... I just like the clean look and function of the factory stuff. I know most everyone has no issues with the Oxford set-up but just don't want the big control box hanging off my bars . Ohhhhhhh the dilemma !!!!!:surprise:
My feelings exactly. I have the factory fit ones on my NC750X and they are superb - and the neatness and level display in the instruments is IMHO worth the money - but obviously only if they work
Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Take it from someone who has had both, the small control box will be insignificant after your first long ride with freezing hands with the OEM unit. The AT is a big bike with bits hanging off everywhere, one more controller is no big deal. If in doubt always go for function over form.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Heated Grip "Fix" Does it exist??

So I picked up my new AT tricolor yesterday and was out and around the forest of bowland this morning at 7:00. 10degC but with summer gloves a little bit chilly. I put the heated grips on and my hands were nice and toasty within 5 mins. That said, it wasn't that cold, and I had them on 5 (full), so I guess that they would be pretty inadequate in really cold weather and when wearing thick gloves. And I doubt that I would use them on anything other than 5/full (you can't tell they're on when on level 2). I probably won't complain because they're good enough for me, but for £280 they are definitely poor value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts