Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone who hears from their dealer about a NEW recall kit becoming available in mid May please confirm in this thread.
There is a post in the long thread (that is mainly about alternatives to the OEMs) suggesting there's a new recall kit being made available from May 9th.
My dealer fitted a second kit on 4th May and it was described as a recall kit. This one failed within 20 minutes with an error 3 code as did the original set that they had fitted about 3 weeks earlier to my new 2017 model bike.
I was going to ask them to fit alternatives and there's plenty of choice described in other threads, but I would like them to have a final go with OEM grips and so would like to gather evidence about whether Honda are issuing a further updated set.
Part numbers would be useful.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mike5100 - What does failure error code 3 indicate?

I'm watching this thread for new data. I need heated grips before fall - preference is Honda, but only if the team posting to this Forum can provide conclusive evidence the latest Honda fix / recall kit results on HOT grips.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Found what error code 3 is in the install instructions. And with 8.2 ohms resistance, the grips should be ~18 watts each at a nominal 12Vdc.

Check for E3 status (Faulty heated grip switch) :
1. Replace the heated grip (heater switch) with a new one. It is hard to check the switch with ordinary inspection methods (for continuity, voltage, etc.,) because it contains an integrated circuit.

Check for E3 status (Open circuit) :
1. Heated grip inspection. Check for resistance between the terminals. Standard: <Right> 8.2 ohms +/- 10% <Left> 8.2 ohms +/- 10%
2. Refer to the SYSTEM DIAGRAM of this manual and check for an open circuit in the heated grip related wires.
3. If no abnormality is found after the above checks 1 and 2, but the heated grip still does not operate properly, replace the heated grip (heater controller) with a new one then recheck.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer says Honda want them to keep the bike for a few days to check continuity. We presumed this meant somewhere other than the heated grips themselves as this is the second set that has displayed exactly the same fault. I have said no, because I can't see how it takes several days to check continuity.
If there really is another revision to the recall kit due in the next week or so, I would rather wait and see if yet another kit would cure the problem.
Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Would anyone who hears from their dealer about a NEW recall kit becoming available in mid May please confirm in this thread. Mike
Mike,

It might be an idea to call Honda customer care and ask direct. That way there is no ambiguity from Japanese whispers through the dealer. I mention this as well intentioned as they are it is easy to misinterpret the advice from their Honda Rep. I’ve detailed in italics the email they send out below but note the premium rate number; time spent waiting can be expensive. So I suggest the local rate number I’ve posted below which operates Monday to Friday 9-5am.

Our Contact Centre is open 6 days a week Monday to Saturday 8am – 6pm, 52 weeks a year.

We have a team of dedicated agents waiting for your call. Please have a registration number handy for Car and Motorcycle enquires, or a model code for Lawn and Garden products.

Please call us on 0845 200 8000: Option 1 - for existing enquiries with a reference number

Option 2 - for all other enquiries.

(Due to the complexity of the enquiry, it may be passed to our Head Office to investigate further. This could take a 3 day response period).

Yours Sincerely

Honda (UK) Customer Relations Team.

local rate number 01344 888488

Or if you’re really feeling brave

Rebecca Stead, Head of Corporate Affairs
T: 01344 888628 M: 07979 906150 E: [email protected]
Tillie Smith , Corporate Affairs Assistant
T: 01344 888631 E: [email protected]

Don't forget to let everyone know the result :wink2:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Snowbubble I will call them tomorrow. However from similar attempts on the NC forum, either Honda UK play a very straight bat or they know less than worldwide forum members (probably the latter)
Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks Snowbubble I will call them tomorrow. However from similar attempts on the NC forum, either Honda UK play a very straight bat or they know less than worldwide forum members (probably the latter)
Mike
There is much merit in what you say. However, when given advice from my dealer previously regarding the heated grips the information was flawed. When I spoke to customer services they were much more honest and accurate with their date of delivery. In fairness they explained the dates but went on to detail that as there were numerous kits required not everyone would get delivery from the initial batch. Much clearer information than dealer and subsequently turned out to be accurate. Who knows, let's be optimistic you may get an answer...

·
Registered
295 Posts
All very frustrating. Reminds me of the huge problems I had with the gearbox on my new BMW GS1200 LC back in 2012. There were over 22000 posts about the issue yet they initially tried to fob me off. I ended up sending it back in a trade off for another bike. I would not want to lose the AT over what is a replaceable accessory but personally I don't think I would waste my time and get the dealer to refund you and fit an alternative aftermarket set. To an extent I would rather do it myself after the bodge up the local dealer initially did on fitting Oxford grips to my Integra. Anal I know, but at least I know I would have taken great care with wiring runs and if any trimming of the grips and throttle inner was needed it would be done as neatly as possible rather than being hacked off with a pair of garden sheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm watching this thread for new data. I need heated grips before fall - preference is Honda, but only if the team posting to this Forum can provide conclusive evidence the latest Honda fix / recall kit results on HOT grips.
Having had both I can only say that if you haven't decided yet please go for the Oxfords not the Honda ones.

Even if there is finally is a fix I doubt they will be as hot as the Oxfords. In addition the Oxfords have twice as many settings, give much better visual feedback, and are less than a quarter of the price. The rubber on the latest ones are not like the hard early models.

Really any one who hasn't already got the Honda ones should be considering them.

Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the Oxford Sport on my Integra and found them to be excellent. The only downside is the chunky control box. That is carried through on to the latest advanced set which are getting rave reviews. On the AT I have opted for the Koso Apollo because of the great reviews and the sleek OEM look of the integrated controls. I will hopefully have them fitted this week and add my opinion if that helps you decide.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the Oxford Sport on my Integra and found them to be excellent. The only downside is the chunky control box. That is carried through on to the latest advanced set which are getting rave reviews. On the AT I have opted for the Koso Apollo because of the great reviews and the sleek OEM look of the integrated controls. I will hopefully have them fitted this week and add my opinion if that helps you decide.
PJM,
With the Apollo grips you have fitted, do they integrate with the instrument panel indicating what setting they are on? Just wanted to know.
Thanks in advance

Wilco10,

Agree entirely, the Oxfords perform as heated grips should and are so much better than the OEM I had removed.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having had both I can only say that if you haven't decided yet please go for the Oxfords not the Honda ones.

Even if there is finally is a fix I doubt they will be as hot as the Oxfords. In addition the Oxfords have twice as many settings, give much better visual feedback, and are less than a quarter of the price. The rubber on the latest ones are not like the hard early models.

Really any one who hasn't already got the Honda ones should be considering them.

Just my opinion of course.
Hmmmm the main reason for going for the OEM ones is IMHO that they give the better visual feedback (than aftermarket ones) - because they show the level in the instrument display. Having said that, for some reason they have made the display 'poorer' than that on the Nc750. the level set is not on permanent display on the AT - it's there for a moment or two then is replaced by the time. So if you want to see what level you have them set on you have to press the button which then moves them down a level as it displays it - that to me is potty.
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
Parcel tracking tells me they should be here Thursday so not fitted yet. They do not integrate with the display. They do have their own LED display integrated in to the control on the left grip so that's a moot point. Google up the review and you will have a better idea. Several members have fitted them here with great success.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Having had both I can only say that if you haven't decided yet please go for the Oxfords not the Honda ones. Even if there is finally is a fix I doubt ....
OP asked this thread focus on the Honda grips and the fix - and leave the other grip thread to alternate choices.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Called that customer care number Snowbubble and got a nice lady called Sarah who is going to investigate whether there is another new kit due to land shortly - if not she will arrange a credit so I can buy aftermarket ones.
I am a bit of a pessimist but I don't hold out a lot of hope for two reasons
1. She obviously gets a lot of calls about heated grip problems but assumed I was calling because they weren't getting hot enough. That may mean there is a specific issue with either my bike or the way the dealer is installing the kits.
2. When she checks with technical she will find there's a warranty claim in from the dealer, and the tech department's proposed resolution is for the dealer to have my bike for several days. I have explained I don't want this to happen and I will go for a credit but if there is yet another kit revision on the way I will cope somehow with my Gerbings heated gloves :)
I will keep y'all informed
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts