Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
Well, at present, I've got a whopping 35 miles on my brand new '18 AT/AS DCT (I just love saying all those letters), and, living here in the SW area of Arizona, needless to say, we don't have overly cool winters and springs. But, on occasion, yes, it does drop down to the low 60's etc. ? So, with that being said, I had reason to try my heated grips the other evening on a short ride to a friends. All I can say is WOW, those things are outstanding! ? I didn't even know (and still haven't experimented yet) that there was/is different levels of heat. I just pushed the button, saw the icon come on, on the dash and, within about maybe 15 seconds or so, I could begin to feel the heat, even though my mediocre gloves. I even had to turn it off a bit later 'cause I didn't need THAT much heat.
The bike we traded in was an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing Level II and it had heated grips too. But, those won't hold a candle (no pun really intended here) to the ones on the Twin. I am impressed!
Scott

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Hey Gang,
Well, at present, I've got a whopping 35 miles on my brand new '18 AT/AS DCT (I just love saying all those letters), and, living here in the SW area of Arizona, needless to say, we don't have overly cool winters and springs. But, on occasion, yes, it does drop down to the low 60's etc. So, with that being said, I had reason to try my heated grips the other evening on a short ride to a friends. All I can say is WOW, those things are outstanding! I didn't even know (and still haven't experimented yet) that there was/is different levels of heat. I just pushed the button, saw the icon come on, on the dash and, within about maybe 15 seconds or so, I could begin to feel the heat, even though my mediocre gloves. I even had to turn it off a bit later 'cause I didn't need THAT much heat.
The bike we traded in was an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing Level II and it had heated grips too. But, those won't hold a candle (no pun really intended here) to the ones on the Twin. I am impressed!
Scott
It seems as though the OEM heated grips are a bit hit or miss. I see complaints that they don't get hot enough from some and they really didn't get that warm on my 2016. But my 2019 ATAS, they get uncomfortably warm if it isn't cold enough to offset them. It sounds as though yours are in that catagory as well. :)

They definitely suite my needs. If it's really cold (near freezing or below) I prefer my Highway 21 radient gloves anyway :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
So much warmer than grips and heat the exposed tops of the hands where the grips can't reach :)
Totally agree - at least in my case. For me, my finger tips benefit the most. In terms of grips, a heated palm doesn't help my needs, and in fact, I find it annoying.

Everybody is different. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Boys,
Being that, being the Dick Tracy that I am, I see that you two are from Canada and the Denver area. For those and many other places OTHER than the southwest corner of AZ, that can and often do, get considerably colder than my corner of the planet, I can surely see the true advantage of a set of heated gloves over just heated grips. I did purchase a set of battery operated gloves a few decades ago but, they were pure junk. They used a D cell battery. The wife and I joked about them. If they didn't work, (which was about 100% of the time) we could use them to defend ourselves should we need to.

But, I looked up those gloves you mentioned and, yeah, for that kind of price, I can see how you'd like them 'cause they're most likely light years ahead of what mine were. Anyway, for my very, very limited time frame of colder riding, I'm pretty sure my heated grips will definitely do the trick.
Scott

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
lol - no problem. Sometimes I wish I had that AZ problem. lol. ... but would like to retain access to an abundance of fresh water.

Always trade-offs almost anywhere one goes.

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Well Boys,
Being that, being the Dick Tracy that I am, I see that you two are from Canada and the Denver area. For those and many other places OTHER than the southwest corner of AZ, that can and often do, get considerably colder than my corner of the planet, I can surely see the true advantage of a set of heated gloves over just heated grips. I did purchase a set of battery operated gloves a few decades ago but, they were pure junk. They used a D cell battery. The wife and I joked about them. If they didn't work, (which was about 100% of the time) we could use them to defend ourselves should we need to.

But, I looked up those gloves you mentioned and, yeah, for that kind of price, I can see how you'd like them 'cause they're most likely light years ahead of what mine were. Anyway, for my very, very limited time frame of colder riding, I'm pretty sure my heated grips will definitely do the trick.
Scott
A buddy of mine purchased a set of those gloves that use standard batteries, except his may have been even sadder than yours. His used 2 AA batteries per glove. I finally talked him into a proper pair this year. Different brand than mine and not leather and carbon fiber like the Highway 21, but at least very warm.

I find Highway 21 are a nice winter glove in general, even without the heat turned on. Very nice with it on.

But the area where heated grips are the biggest advantage is that they are always with you and with mountain riding you can get big temperature changes between Denver and the higher attitudes :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 DCT
334 Posts
Was out on a ride Saturday in AZ near Superior, and it had the nerve to drop into the 50's and rain. I actually enjoyed the set of Koso Apollo heated grips that I put on a couple of weeks ago, thinking that I would not be using them until fall!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was out on a ride Saturday in AZ near Superior, and it had the nerve to drop into the 50's and rain. I actually enjoyed the set of Koso Apollo heated grips that I put on a couple of weeks ago, thinking that I would not be using them until fall!
Roger that Sir, yep, certain parts of this ole' AZ do drop some, especially in the higher altitudes. We live in Lake Havasu and, well, yeah, in the dead of winter our daytime temps can drop to 50 or so. But, those are very limited. I'm a wus when it gets to cold and overly hot riding. I'm not pressured. I ride when it's comfortable to me. But, I can surely see the other side too. And, ya gotta be prepared for whatever. Thanks to all for replying.
Scott

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
50 Posts
Many heated gloves have a poor feel - bulky. But they are better for extremely cold temps.

I find heated grips are good to take the chill off hands in weirdly cold situations in the other 3 seasons.

BTW, the OEM heated grips on my 2017 AT are barely warm enough (I'd give them a 5 out of ten except they are nicely integrated into the display, handlebar controls etc.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Loved the Koso Apollo grips on my ST1300. Used to get real warm and toasty!

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
I can actually say I've been to Superior, AZ a few times. 10C temperatures sounds perfect to me. Glad you were able to enjoy it. Does it get weirdly "muddy" when it rains in the Superior area?

I really like Arizona. It is my second favourite state.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Gang,
Well, at present, I've got a whopping 35 miles on my brand new '18 AT/AS DCT (I just love saying all those letters), and, living here in the SW area of Arizona, needless to say, we don't have overly cool winters and springs. But, on occasion, yes, it does drop down to the low 60's etc. ? So, with that being said, I had reason to try my heated grips the other evening on a short ride to a friends. All I can say is WOW, those things are outstanding! ? I didn't even know (and still haven't experimented yet) that there was/is different levels of heat. I just pushed the button, saw the icon come on, on the dash and, within about maybe 15 seconds or so, I could begin to feel the heat, even though my mediocre gloves. I even had to turn it off a bit later 'cause I didn't need THAT much heat.
Scott
I just bought a new 2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sport on Friday, took it for a first ride (298 miles) yesterday where the starting elevation was 187’ @ 87* F and peaked at 5300’ @ 52* F. My hands were freezing and then I remembered the heated grips (never had this luxury before) and holy smokes where they hot. Stopped to get fuel and noticed that there were 5 levels of heat. I am loving this bike so far.

Congrats on your bike and glad to hear your grip heaters work well too.

Chris

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought a new 2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sport on Friday, took it for a first ride (298 miles) yesterday where the starting elevation was 187’ @ 87* F and peaked at 5300’ @ 52* F. My hands were freezing and then I remembered the heated grips (never had this luxury before) and holy smokes where they hot. Stopped to get fuel and noticed that there were 5 levels of heat. I am loving this bike so far.

Chris
Hey Chris,
Definitely congrats on your new AT/AS too. You didn't say whether or not it's the DCT or manual. Either one is fine. If for some reason, I was not able to acquire the DCT, I'd have taken the manual. Anyway, wow, 298 miles so far. Hoooraaay for you!!!! ;)Due to my ability to create projects in my retirement, I've not put many on mine, only around 35 or so, so far. What a bummer. Oh well, tomorrow's another day and, I'll jump on it and RIDE! Yep, those grip heaters are something else huh?
Scott

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
I can actually say I've been to Superior, AZ a few times. 10C temperatures sounds perfect to me. Glad you were able to enjoy it. Does it get weirdly "muddy" when it rains in the Superior area?

I really like Arizona. It is my second favourite state.
Which is your first favorite? I never thought much about ranking them. It would be easier for me to name a couple I don't like :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Chris,
Definitely congrats on your new AT/AS too. You didn't say whether or not it's the DCT or manual. Either one is fine. If for some reason, I was not able to acquire the DCT, I'd have taken the manual. Anyway, wow, 298 miles so far. Hoooraaay for you!!!! ;)Due to my ability to create projects in my retirement, I've not put many on mine, only around 35 or so, so far. What a bummer. Oh well, tomorrow's another day and, I'll jump on it and RIDE! Yep, those grip heaters are something else huh?
Scott
I ended up buying the DCT, actually sought it out. I had been working on a friends 17’ standard with DCT for about a week and he let me ride it around over a weekend while testing some mods I had done to it. I never thought I would be a fan of DCT but I really liked it once I started messing with the user settings. Ask me again next month and I might hate it. :)

Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts

Chris
Really great to read Chris. Congratulations on your new '19 ATAS. Sounds like decent first impressions. May they not be your last.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
Which is your first favorite? I never thought much about ranking them. It would be easier for me to name a couple I don't like :)
Straight up, I find California hard to beat. Civilization has taken its toll on the region, but overall it is something.

I have been around AZ and would not hesitate to return anytime. It has been in my fabric since childhood.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Straight up, I find California hard to beat. Civilization has taken its toll on the region, but overall it is something.

I have been around AZ and would not hesitate to return anytime. It has been in my fabric since childhood.
Double Thumper,
Well Sir, I can say from first hand experience, CA's a nice place to be FROM! Both the wife and I were born and raised in the San Diego area. I'm a retired San Diego Fireman of 30 years. I knew looooooooong before I retired I wanted to GET OUT OF DODGE! There's a whole plethora of reasons and I won't go into boring you with them. Just suffice to say, it's such a pleasure to be out of there and in AZ where we've nested in Lake Havasu City. We constantly run into folks around here that are FROM California.

The ONE THING that the San Diego area has that we don't in our present neck of the woods, is, quite nicer riding environment and scenery. Lots of mountain and county roads that make for some really nice motorcycle riding. That is, if they're not over stuffed with traffic, all doing the same thing. Our present area of Lake Havasu is primarily just desert where as, about 4 or so hours east of us is Flagstaff AZ. It's around the 7,000' level and therefore, has lots more greenery around it and lots of actual wooded areas for both on and off road riding. In fact, much of eastern AZ is wooded and has great riding for both types. It's primarily the south west regions that are mostly desert.
Scott

Reactions: DoubleThumper
1 - 20 of 41 Posts