Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

heated grips

13K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  lvhdudeJoe 
#1 ·
whats everyone use for heated grips i was thinking of the Heat Demon External Grip Warmer Kit for Motorcycle (210019RR) with the PROGRIP 714BK Black 125mm Dual Sport Gel Grip looks like a good unit.

#4 ·
I have the Oxfords as well. Touring style I believe. Mine are routed into an Eastern Beaver fuse block, but I had them connected directly to the battery on my last bike. Yes, the controller is "smart" and shuts off after a couple minutes if it notices the bike isn't moving. I trimmed a little off the throttle side grip for installation, but found out that I didn't need to. I like them and would buy them again. I feel like they're a good value.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm using Oxford Hot Grips - Touring Edition - perfect size for the AT.
Mine are connected to the Eastern Beaver PC-8, I prefer the certainty that there is no power drain when I turn the bike off. I don't want to take any risks on a bike that can't be bump started.
The grips perform well, nice warmth easily felt through my winter gloves.

#9 ·
I also got the factory heated grips on my 2017 AT
I wanted the neat integration into the dash and on the handlebars.
I find the 5 settings a nice range of heat with 5 being warm enough for almost all cold cases.

The cost was almost $400 though, and my mech told me it was not a straight forward install. I guess it was quite a price to pay for the neat integrated look.

#7 ·
does anyone know if the power wire that the oem heated grips plugs into is fused? is it a key powered wire? has anyone hooked there aftermarket heated hand grips to that power wire? i take it is on the left side where the oem left grip plugs into correct?

#13 ·
Admittedly I’ve had my ATAS for all of eight days, been on four rides for about 270 miles, but so far the OEM grips work well. The only thing I will say is the left grip seems to shut off at a long idle stop light, then turns on when the bike hits 2,000 rpm. I’ve never had heated grips, so have nothing to compare them to but they work well for me.

#18 ·
Not to steer the discussion away too much, but with winter approaching I'm thinking of heated gloves instead of heated grips. I had heated grips on my last bike, and if it gets really cold they just aren't good enough at highway speeds.

#19 ·
I own both - I wouldn't be without the heated grips. With the hand guards and heated grips my hands are usually fine, only in abnormally cold weather would the heated gloves be needed.

My heated gloves have heating elements running down the back of the hand/fingers, clearly designed to work with heated grips - IMO. They are bulky and not anywhere near as comfortable as my normal winter gloves, I'd prefer not to use them unless I really had to.

#22 ·
It's that time of year here in the Rockies, and on my last bike, a KLR, I used both heated grips and gloves. But then, I ride at around 20 degrees or so regularly, so both are a plus in my book.
I'm getting older, and the arthritis and age issues mean I'm after comfort most. I have the gloves, so now I'm researching the grips.
Leaning towards the Oxfords, but Ill keep looking.

#24 ·
I have the OEM Honda heated grips on my CB500X and they work just fine for me. I also have Revit Chevak Gore-Tex Gloves for rain and cold. Both together work great for me. I also have Barkbuster Storms that block a lot of the wind.

My wife's bike (cruiser with no hand guards) has Oxfords and I can say that neither of us has ever had them on over 75%. Those things get hot. They also shut off once it detects the battery is no longer being charged (the bike is shut off).

So for my $0.02: OEM integration with adequate heat, go with the OEM ones. If you want more heat than you'll ever need, get the Oxfords.

#23 ·
Oxford Heaterz Touring grips fit perfectly on the AT. They are MUCH hotter than OEM grips. I've seen some comparisons on youtube and these are clearly among the best out there. I tried heated gloves in the past, but wasn't too impressed and hate dealing with the wires. I ride down to about -5C (23F).

A few things to consider:
- You can have the warmest gloves in the world (even heated), if they are too tight, you'll freeze your hands off.
- Good heated grips make a big difference
- Handguards can help deflect wind from the hands
- One of the reasons we freeze our hands and feet is that our body is reducing the blood flow to the extremities to protect vital organs. Keeping your core warm will help with keeping hands and feet warm (same applies to boots, if you have thick socks but boots are tight you'll freeze).
- Putting a rainsuit on top of your riding jacket will help not only cut down on the wind, but will help retain your body heat, therefore contributing to keeping extremities warmer.
- I bought a 10$ USB heating pad that I just insert inside my vest on the chest, and it does warm up nicely.
- The faster you go, the colder it feels. Sometimes just slowing down 10-20km/h can help.

#28 ·
I have the Oxfords as well, rare that I can run them on high. (too hot). I have Heat Demons on my touring bike, heat from inside the bars, not nearly as good, but they do make a difference.

I did not like the heated gloves, felt too bulky to me. Made the controls seem too remote of feel. That said, I have a pair of Tour master heated gloves for sale, just used once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.