Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I test rode an AT today and loved it except for one problem...the heel of my right foot kept hitting the catalytic converter shield. I wear size 13 boots. I found this very awkward, especially while standing on the balls of my feet.

Is there a solution without replacing the headers and silencer? Remove the shield, buy another shield, different foot pegs, foot surgery, or something else? Or do I have to "just get used to it?"

Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
No suggestions on curing this, but I have the same trouble when I stand on the balls of my feet. That is the way that feels best as far as weighting the pegs, and it gives you another flex joint (ankle) for bumps.

I wish someone would make a nice replacement for it that was sized to fit aftermarket cans like my Remus. The stock one gets in the way and is way bigger than it needs to be for aftermarket exhaust canisters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I deleted the cat with a bit of stainless tube i made up. Problem solved. Bikes running better

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So, it's looks like I have three options:

1. Replace the headers and silencer plus remap (or just eliminate the cat plus remap I guess)
2. Try some Pivot Pegs
3. Learn to live with it

I don't think option 1. is really an option. Don't know where I'd get the remapping done in Northern VA. Option 2. is very easy but I don't know if it will work for me until I try it. Option 3. is hard because I know myself.

I'm not sure I want to purchase the bike hoping I may be able to fix the ergos for me. I have two other bikes so I'm not desperate. Looking through a few forums, the issue doesn't seem to be a common complaint though. Perhaps because most riders get used to it, or perhaps because most riders have smaller feet (which is the most likely explanation). From my limited exposure, I really liked the bike otherwise.

I could order some Pivot Pegs and see if the dealer will let me install them and test ride. Wouldn't hurt to ask I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am 6'2" with size 13 Icon riding boot and I have never noticed my heel hitting the cat cover. The footpegs definitely need to be replaced if favor or larger ones. See my post regarding footpegs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the stainless steel tub fabrication that replaces the cat converter. Can you make me one? Also, There are a couple of posts about plug and play remapping modules. Booster Plug and RapidBike Easy by Dimsport. Based on a post here, The Rapid Bike Easy is the easiest to install and it goes under the seat. The Booster Plug requires taking off one side of the fairing and other doing some wire, sensor routing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the stainless steel tub fabrication that replaces the cat converter. Can you make me one? Also, There are a couple of posts about plug and play remapping modules. Booster Plug and RapidBike Easy by Dimsport. Based on a post here, The Rapid Bike Easy is the easiest to install and it goes under the seat. The Booster Plug requires taking off one side of the fairing and other doing some wire, sensor routing.
Do booster plugs actually work? I got told by my local motorcycle mechanic that they where largely bullshit and that if you get a full system the only real solution is to get the fuel remapped properly. There might have been a element of him trying to sell me his services in this, so don't think that I am saying that this is definitely the case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not sure if booster plugs really work, but even if they do if you read their literature they would only improve things on a stock bike or maybe mild opening of exhaust with a slip on. You'd need a fuel controller that allows more control for anything more free flowing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know that on later model BMWs, the ECU just learns the booster and compensates for it to return the mixture to stock. People put them on and it seems to improve things for a while, but then the ECU gets wise to it and the benefits go away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
bigger footpegs

I bought those cheap xr650 pegs from ebay, around £13 GBP delivered

The problem disappeared

Since then i bought a full termi system which gets ride of the CAT which is the only reason the plastic 'guard' is fitted to the bike

Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm thinking the longer pegs might work. But I'm not willing to buy the bike just to see if I can get used to it. I'll ask the dealer if he will let me install larger pegs and go for a test ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts