Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a full set (7) of stainless steel braided brake lines at the m/c show last year. It’s taken me too long to get round to fitting them, but I finally started today after striping the fairing and fuel tank off.

If you are in any way thinking of doing this upgrade.....don’t !!!! What a nightmare ! I’ve fitted plenty of brake lines in the past, but doing these really tested my patience. There’s four lines required for the rear brake and access to the ABS pump is tricky to say the least. Although the kit supplied comes with everything you need, I still ended up stripping the rubber blocks off the oe hoses to make the clamp mounts a much better job.

Anyway, here’s some pics of the rear....I’ll get the front sorted tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Front now all done and although it wasn’t as awkward as the rear, it was still a pain.
However, I think that there is a difference in feel at the lever after getting the system bled. It feels firmer and I definately feel it’s lost it’s spongeness. So as much as this was a trying job to carry out, the results are very pleasing. If you take the time it took to strip the bodywork/tank off and how long it took to replace the hoses, I’d say it was a nine hour job.....and the fairing and tank still have to go back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey, good job! The red lines look pretty sharp as well! :) I want to do this eventually. I was also planning to do the high fender kit.... I'm assuming this won't work with that. I would need a different length for the front line.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought a full set (7) of stainless steel braided brake lines at the m/c show last year. It’s taken me too long to get round to fitting them, but I finally started today after striping the fairing and fuel tank off.

If you are in any way thinking of doing this upgrade.....don’t !!!! What a nightmare ! I’ve fitted plenty of brake lines in the past, but doing these really tested my patience. There’s four lines required for the rear brake and access to the ABS pump is tricky to say the least. Although the kit supplied comes with everything you need, I still ended up stripping the rubber blocks off the oe hoses to make the clamp mounts a much better job.

Anyway, here’s some pics of the rear....I’ll get the front sorted tomorrow.
Dude thats a lot of work, would have been interesting to see what it was like if you had just done the long runs first without doing the difficult ones over to the ABS.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude thats a lot of work, would have been interesting to see what it was like if you had just done the long runs first without doing the difficult ones over to the ABS.

I understand your thinking. Those four lengths to the ABS pump were the worst ! They’re also pretty short and I’m sure just replacing the long runs would most likely have made the brakes feel just as good as they do now. However, I can now look at them and think that they’re future-proofed for the foreseeable future or next owner. 0:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts