Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, just found the forum and looking for some helpful opinions/insight to help make a decision on the new AT. A little background. I'm 49 years old, been riding Dual sport bikes most of my life, started when I was 15, love to ride. I currently have a 08 GSA (67K) and wifey has a 09 F650GS. I had an 09 F800GS ( rode 12K on this one before selling) which I loved but had to give it up. Was a great bike off road despite it's limitations, had lots of fun on fire roads and some single track. Consider myself an average to good rider. Anyways, We are considering shipping a bike to Europe from Canada either next year or the year after, to spend a few years riding around. We are almost empty nesters. My wife is from DK and we have family there to store a bike then plan trips from there. We can't buy a bike there ( Crazy expensive ) so I was looking around locally for that next bike, considered a Varadero but my local dealer has a leftover 16 DCT that says he will discount heavily to get it gone. I like the bike, just not sure about the DCT. The fit is perfect and love the look of it. But how does it perform? What are the real world short comings of the bike for those who have riden it? I've heard about the corrosion issue on the MY16 and some MY17's and the odd DCT issue but not sure if it's a operator issue or bike issue. How does it handle compared to it's competition? For the money it's not a bad deal, just doesn't have the factory installed extras that I'm accustomed too, like heated grips, center stand, but they can be added. Would it be a good 2up bike to travel Europe on? What's it's actual range. I know my old 800GS got 350-400kms and my GSA gets, well, 550-700kms to a tank. I don't expect that but if it's low that may be a factor. Lots of questions I know, but I have more. Don't want to just in without being informed, which I'm sure you can appreciate.
Also, Have noticed on Kijiji.ca there are quite a few slightly used 16 and 17's up for sale with 1200-5000kms? Why? I mean is there something wrong with the bike or people jump in and regret the purchase or don't like the feel or performance of it. I have a buddy in DK who went from a GSA to the DCT and loves it, said it's a better bike so I'm wondering why so many used this early in the game?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
480 Posts
We all know you can pretty much travel anywhere on any bike if you really want to/have to. If you plan on traversing Europe on high speed main roads, dual carriageways, autobahns and motorways I think the AT will prove to be a very tiresome touring bike, it's just not its design brief. If you are cross-crossing Europe via lessor roads at reduced speeds it could be ideal. I would try and get a 24hr test drive or borrow a mates for a day if an option and see what you make of it on the freeway. I don't think Manual or DCT comes into the equation either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I will be going overseas for a visit soon and maybe get the chance to ride one there to help me decide, but as for here local dealer says NO test rides. I see a lightly used Manual for sale 3 hrs away so I will stop by at that dealer to ask for a test ride. I may choose to send my GSA overseas as I know for sure how comfortable it is 2up, as well as its strengths and limitations. Won't take much to get it ready. However, there is way more dual sporting here in Newfoundland which the AT would be best suited for not to mention the rest of Canada and I'm sure it will shine in this environment, it just needs the usual farkles for protection.

·
Administrator
3,305 Posts
Also, Have noticed on Kijiji.ca there are quite a few slightly used 16 and 17's up for sale with 1200-5000kms? Why? I mean is there something wrong with the bike or people jump in and regret the purchase or don't like the feel or performance of it. I have a buddy in DK who went from a GSA to the DCT and loves it, said it's a better bike so I'm wondering why so many used this early in the game?
Thoughts?
I think early in the game is where you will tend to find a lot of used models, for a number of reasons. Sometimes people get caught up in the hype of a new release and have to have it, whether it is a motorcycle, car, laptop, phone, etc. Then after the smell of something new wears off, they wonder why they had to have it.

Was it the right Adventure Bike? Do they even need or want an Adventure Bike? Was it the wrong version (DCT vs Manual)? My dealership has a used 2016 manual with under 2,000 miles on it, because the previous owner traded it for the DCT version. There is a guy in another thread here with the DCT, that was talking about maybe selling his and buying a manual.

Hard to say why people change their minds and sell them. I recall after Triumph first released the Tiger 800 in 2011, a number of them where likewise popping up for sale shortly after. Nothing wrong with the Tiger 800 either, but maybe not the right bike for everyone, maybe they purchased the XR when they should have purchased the XC and vice versa, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I had a GSA ( still do 30,000 MLS) been on bmws for lots of years. I have to say they are great bikes if they don't get big probs such as ABS failure or final drive goes. I went to our local dealer and he suggested I try the DCT. Was a little strange at first but soon got used to it it's a great system and I rode his demo for the best part of a day and did not want to give it back. Now, I'm am older Guy and have over 40 yrs on bikes and I can say this, go try a DCT. ten minutes up the road is not a test ride for this bike. It's an adventure waiting to happen. I have had big capacity bikes with 140 plus BHP. I found the AT great for the roads and tracks here in the U.K. I am no off reader wish I was , the engine has plenty of go as am sure you agree. The power is accessible and very good for real world riding. So go and have a fun ride with an open mind. Hope you find this helpful. Didgeboy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts