Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

This past spring of 2021, I traded my trusty Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 in for an Africa Twin 1100 Adventure Sports. Looking for something new in the ADV and Sport Touring category, I was also considering Triumph's sweet looking new Tigers, Yamaha's T700 and Tracer 900 as well as a number of Ducati Multistradas, BMWs and KTMs. Before my Super Tenere, I rode a Ducati Monster. I absolutely loved the sound and handling of that bike (696 w/Termignoni pipes). In my new AT, I hope to find a bike that splits difference in ride qualities between those two bikes... all while gaining more off-road prowess for my penchant for big exploratory rides in the greater Pacific Northwest - my primary stomping grounds of the last 40+ years. The ATAS DCT checks a lot of boxes. My 1100cc super scooter!

So far, I've used my bike to commute, take day trips and am looking forward to planning a week(s) long moto-camping tour in the spring and/or late summer here. I prefer to ride at a brisk but sustainable pace, and have a flexible schedule. Hit me up if you're into a day ride - or just want to talk routes.

JB

·
Registered
14 Posts
I traded my well loved and well traveled 2012 Super Tenere for a 2020 ATAS DCT this year as well. I loved my Yamaha, but a long trip this year brought the rudimentary electronics to the forefront for me. The Africa Twin is better in almost every way (I miss the shaft drive). I find myself riding faster and loving all the tech. I also have to admit to liking the electronic suspension more than I thought I would. These are great bikes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
We
Hello everyone-

This past spring of 2021, I traded my trusty Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 in for an Africa Twin 1100 Adventure Sports. Looking for something new in the ADV and Sport Touring category, I was also considering Triumph's sweet looking new Tigers, Yamaha's T700 and Tracer 900 as well as a number of Ducati Multistradas, BMWs and KTMs. Before my Super Tenere, I rode a Ducati Monster. I absolutely loved the sound and handling of that bike (696 w/Termignoni pipes). In my new AT, I hope to find a bike that splits difference in ride qualities between those two bikes... all while gaining more off-road prowess for my penchant for big exploratory rides in the greater Pacific Northwest - my primary stomping grounds of the last 40+ years. The ATAS DCT checks a lot of boxes. My 1100cc super scooter!

So far, I've used my bike to commute, take day trips and am looking forward to planning a week(s) long moto-camping tour in the spring and/or late summer here. I prefer to ride at a brisk but sustainable pace, and have a flexible schedule. Hit me up if you're into a day ride - or just want to talk routes.

JB
Welcome aboard, your neighbor to the north.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I traded my well loved and well traveled 2012 Super Tenere for a 2020 ATAS DCT this year as well. I loved my Yamaha, but a long trip this year brought the rudimentary electronics to the forefront for me. The Africa Twin is better in almost every way (I miss the shaft drive). I find myself riding faster and loving all the tech. I also have to admit to liking the electronic suspension more than I thought I would. These are great bikes.
I had some buyers remorse the first time I went back to cleaning a chain (w/o center stand too!). And again, when I was weighing the pros and cons of DCT. Since I've taken more time to understand and program it, I like it better. Miss revving for revving's sake though. Lost some cool there... Otherwise fun bike to be sure! I haven't gone far yet - shopping new gear at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
8,688 Posts
I had some buyers remorse the first time I went back to cleaning a chain (w/o center stand too!). And again, when I was weighing the pros and cons of DCT. Since I've taken more time to understand and program it, I like it better. Miss revving for revving's sake though. Lost some cool there... Otherwise fun bike to be sure! I haven't gone far yet - shopping new gear at the moment.
Heh, well, at the stop light you can slip into neutral and rev all you wish.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,779 Posts
Hi and welcome

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone-

JB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, I have a 2016 Super Tenere ES, and I am also interested in the Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I am moving from more touring to more "adventure" touring, including gravel/offroad, and more dispersed camping. I would like to know your comparison experiences between the two. I would like to ride the ATES, but that is nearly impossible given the current state of affairs: re: stock on hand and "supply chain" concerns...:(...the Super Tenere is indeed "trusty", and reliability is my main concern. I am looking for more gravel/off road capability, while retaining the smoothness of the ST... Also - is yours standard or DCT? - I am curious about the DCT... Thanks for your help...

--John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, I have a 2016 Super Tenere ES, and I am also interested in the Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I am moving from more touring to more "adventure" touring, including gravel/offroad, and more dispersed camping. I would like to know your comparison experiences between the two. I would like to ride the ATES, but that is nearly impossible given the current state of affairs: re: stock on hand and "supply chain" concerns...:(...the Super Tenere is indeed "trusty", and reliability is my main concern. I am looking for more gravel/off road capability, while retaining the smoothness of the ST... Also - is yours standard or DCT? - I am curious about the DCT... Thanks for your help...

--John
The AT likes to be ridden around the speed of my old Supert Tenere. 75-80 cruising. I find it to be more nimble. I think the 2022's may have an ES non Adventure Sports on the way. I love the ES functionality, but the standard model seemed much better for off road. Narrower and lower center of gravity. I do have the DCT, and I don't regret it. My Honda dealer gets paid everytime someone tries one, and they got me. It's extremely smooth and pretty darn intelligent. I mostly use the paddle shifters for corner approach and passing. The infotainment is great. I miss shaft drive and linked braking. The seat is not as good for me as my Super Tenere. Lower, but less comfy. I will have to address that eventually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, you got to do a test ride? I am in Portland, and I have not found a dealer who will allow it - unless you are "ready to buy." (seems like a Catch-22 to me...;)) I sure would like to ride the DCT - It is interesting to watch the reviews over time - even die-hard Adventure Riders (Big Rock Moto comes to mind) sing its praises now, although the older reviews were kind of hesitant. I would definitely go for the AS model - I am hooked on the electronic suspension too. Oh, also, I would like to wait until the 2022 models are released - esp. for the updated DCT (apparently it shifts more smoothly in first 2 gears) - but when are they coming? if at all?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, you got to do a test ride? I am in Portland, and I have not found a dealer who will allow it - unless you are "ready to buy." (seems like a Catch-22 to me...;)) I sure would like to ride the DCT - It is interesting to watch the reviews over time - even die-hard Adventure Riders (Big Rock Moto comes to mind) sing its praises now, although the older reviews were kind of hesitant. I would definitely go for the AS model - I am hooked on the electronic suspension too. Oh, also, I would like to wait until the 2022 models are released - esp. for the updated DCT (apparently it shifts more smoothly in first 2 gears) - but when are they coming? if at all?

Thanks, John
My dealer loves DCT test rides. I think Honda pays them $100 per ride. Of course they also threw me on a Z H2 unsupervised to see if they could get me off my Aprilia. I was going to wait for the 2022 update, but I couldn't (and still haven't) found fault with the DCT. Its like Green Eggs and Ham. Everyone turns their noses up until they try it. I haven't tried getting moving on an offroad uphill, but I expect it will shine there the most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

--John
Hello fellow Super Tenere owner! I put 30K, trouble-free miles, on my ST riding all over the PNW before getting an Africa Twin, DCT aspect somewhat compulsively. My only gripes on my ST were weight and saddle height, primarily. I wanted to drop 100lbs and an inch or more; I think I got 22lbs and 1/2 inch (but narrower) saddle. Immediately, the AT felt more nimble - I think due to narrowness, and lower CG, as much as lower GVWR. The 21/18 rim sizes feel surprisingly good on-road in spite, from what I've read, the vagueness they can impart. FWIW, the stock rear Metzler Karoo sang horribly on the freeway for a 100+ miles till the edges wore off the paddle tread. The engine is very smooth and perky, though not quite as powerful as the ST. Wind protection needs work on the AT for wet/cold. Upper fairing wings are on my short list.

The DCT, an admirable technical curiosity, wasn't first on my list. Honestly, I am unsure about it in the long-run. I have yet to really gel with it. It's really nice in some regards, but really stinks in others:
+ Off the line - always ready, it's fast!​
+ Sport 2 behaves like I would, 80% of the time​
+ Paddle-shift override makes pre-corner downshifting a breeze​
- Default mode "D" is annoyingly reinstated at every restart. Remarkably, it up-shifts to 5th gear by 28mph or something, sounds like I'm mixing paint, not riding a moto! Sport 1 is still to lazy for me, 90% of the time.​
- Lacking control over gear selection messes with my control; usually the AT is in too high a gear for my taste. Sport 2 solves most of it, combined with the occasional down-shift override. Sport 3 (most aggressive) is a bit much, unless I'm really romping on it. (In which case, it's awesome!). There is no in-between. Honda: insert user programmable mode here, please.​
- Riding in the snow a couple days ago, I was all over the place trying to get the DCT to do what I wanted. I ended up using full manual mode. I wonder what/how I'll use it off-road... I've only done some forest service roads so far, nothing loose, steep and challenging. The off-road mode uses some clutching wizardry I've not read much technical explanation of. Should be fine, for what I do, I think.​
I only have 1800 miles on her at the moment. I think I'll like the DCT more after a long trip. I feel it will take a few long days in the saddle to really synch with the transmission. And a few days in more challenging off-road circumstances to have a real opinion. I had the intent to do more dual-track/single track style of riding with this bike. It should be noted, clutch-work was never a hindrance to me - I'm fairly confident/competent riding off-road. So, my expectations are high that the DCT won't hold me back or cause weird pucker moments. If it proves superior in 90% of the situations, I'll be happy.

The twin displays, with their huge array of customization, along with Apple Car play (+ heated grips, DCT controls, cruise control, hazard and flash-to-pass buttons) make for very busy switch gear. Ridiculous, really. Like, 16 buttons on the left side alone, ridiculous! Now I love tech, play video games and am not intimidated by all the features. Yet, I still fumble with operations while riding. It's all just a bit much - especially coming from my analogue Super T with manual everything. The KTM and Triumph I sat on had, at first impression, better user interface. I read the switch gear on the AT was carry-over from a Goldwing??

But... the suspension feels sweet. I've fussed with it quite a bit, and not only is it smooth, but it's sure nice to switch it up so easily. Too bad you have to actually come to a complete stop for the pre-load changes to occur. The Gravel Mode is handy and you can program this one "Hot Button" with a star on it to be whatever you want (like instant Gravel Mode).

In summary, the AT is every bit as smooth as my ST, and 10-20% more nimble off-road. The DCT, I suspect, will take some real time in the saddle before I can squeeze the most from it. Make no mistake, it's very good, 90% of the time - and only shift unexpectedly here and there so long as the mode you're in suits your mood.

[FWIW, even with a 6-axis IMU, it will still shift mid-corner, in spite of the marketing department telling you otherwise. Not detrimentally so, thus far. But, it has done this a few times, under light load. I had no worry of the shift upsetting the chassis - front/rear weight balance - traction. I can't say what mode I was in when it happened.]

·
Registered
14 Posts
It does have an absurd amount of buttons. I think my buddy counted 23 between the two pods. It's overwhelming at first, but after 3000 miles, I blast through things pretty good. I used my Star button to disable wheelie control. Gravel mode is only a couple clicks away with the Up/Down buttons. I also used the two User defined modes to make a custom offroad and custom sporty riding modes.

This is probably the only motorcycle I have ever gone back to manual this much. I keep it open on the browser on my phone for quick reference. Less and less though.

The bike is a wonder. If it weren't this, it'd be a Multistrada V4 $.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all that...great info. bietzarelli - did you get a test ride on yours before purchase?... I can't find any Honda dealers in Portland who allow it...the jury is still out for me on the DCT - I would really like a long test ride before I make the manual/DCT decision... a couple of factors that might mediate against it for me are: increased weight (the main beef I have with my ST is weight), and also some off-road challenges, like how do you jump over objects? Also I am not sure about having to use the rear brake so much in slow maneuvers. You mentioned some of the positives, including speed and flexibility - I also wonder about the benefit of there being one less thing to concentrate on - esp. off road - so focus might improve (I've read) - and also, that it cannot stall (big plus I think...). Thanks again for the input...I am looking forward to rides soon...;)

--John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all that...great info. bietzarelli - did you get a test ride on yours before purchase?... I can't find any Honda dealers in Portland who allow it...the jury is still out for me on the DCT - I would really like a long test ride before I make the manual/DCT decision... a couple of factors that might mediate against it for me are: increased weight (the main beef I have with my ST is weight), and also some off-road challenges, like how do you jump over objects? Also I am not sure about having to use the rear brake so much in slow maneuvers. You mentioned some of the positives, including speed and flexibility - I also wonder about the benefit of there being one less thing to concentrate on - esp. off road - so focus might improve (I've read) - and also, that it cannot stall (big plus I think...). Thanks again for the input...I am looking forward to rides soon...;)

--John
Go see Shahin at MotoCorsa and see if he can get you a ride on the BrapTalk Africa Twin.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts