Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y’all! I wanted to break the ice here and introduce myself. My name is Al, I’m 27 and live in Austin.

I got my motorcycles license when I was 17 and got my first bike, a 2001 klx 400 that I put supermoto tires and wheels on 5 years ago. I loved how agile and fun that thing was to ride. I ended up selling it because it couldn’t do more than 60 mph comfortably without screaming On the highway. Upon selling that, I found a used 2003 sv1000 and paid 2600 for it (likely to much given I soon discovered I had been played after purchasing. A magneto was loose and had to pay over $1000 with parts and labor to replace rotor and stater). The SV has been a fun bike, but it is not what I am looking for. I want something I can ride far across the country and take off the beaten path when I feel like it.

I have been looking at “adventure bikes” and the African twin seems like possibly a great option, however I was hoping I could ask y’all a few questions about the bike and your experience with it:
1. Is this bike comfortable for a passenger on long trips?
2. Is there a year or model you all especially like? ( I found a 2018 for $11,950 with 600 miles on it. Is that a lot to pay?)
3. Around what price can you expect to pay for a preowned one with several thousand miles on it?
4. Does this bike feel underpowered on the highway at all?

I apologize if I came off ignorant and inexperienced in all of this. I am new to using forums and I am tired of making dumb mistakes when making large purchases do to the lack of research I did beforehand.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello and welcome to the board. Lots of info here. Just wait and most of your answers will be answered. I personally paid $13,300 for a 2018 Adventure Sports DCT. August 15th. So if a price makes you feel 'right' go for it, you will not be disappointed with the bike. Only short trips 2-up so far. Power is adequate. Seat height is up there so get used to dancing with the big girls (G) really big girls!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the board. Lots of info here. Just wait and most of your answers will be answered. I personally paid $13,300 for a 2018 Adventure Sports DCT. August 15th. So if a price makes you feel 'right' go for it, you will not be disappointed with the bike. Only short trips 2-up so far. Power is adequate. Seat height is up there so get used to dancing with the big girls (G) really big girls!
Thanks for all the information! I was wondering how the height would be and I suspected it would be on the tall side. I am 5"8' and dealt with a tall bike with the supermoto I had. From what I have read recently, it looks like the newest 2020 model could be driving the prices down. I will continue to research and look into this bike. Very grateful this forum exists!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts