Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Just joined, rode most of my life up till summer 2018, an accident ( not on a motorbike ) pretty much stopped my life.
Been looking at what to buy next, and get back into riding, and decided on an Africa.
Wanted to join here for tips and tricks on what to do when I get my bike, and look around for anyone selling a barely used Africa in my area, before I slap down a deposit on a new 2022 in a week or so.
Thanks for having me.

Lake

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and sorry about your accident. It sounds like you had to be dedicated to some rehabilitation, so it's great to see that you're getting back to the lifestyle you love!!

As for getting a bike, what area are you in? You may be able to find a new 2020 on the floor somewhere, which is what I did.

Coming from an R1200GS that I rode for a year, I switch to an ATAS and am much happier for too many reasons to state here. I have a black 2020 ATAS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

My passion since about age 12 has been riding.
Sure i have other hobbies, but nothing compares to riding.
I moved to the south caribou area of BC.
Basically 5 hours drive north of Vancouver if that means something. It was too painful to stay where I was after my wife died 3 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
Thanks guys.

My passion since about age 12 has been riding.
Sure i have other hobbies, but nothing compares to riding.
I moved to the south caribou area of BC.
Basically 5 hours drive north of Vancouver if that means something. It was too painful to stay where I was after my wife died 3 years ago.
Ah, so sorry about the grief. The memories keep us human. My sincere condolences.

A solid passion Lake, and I agree that nothing compares.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi.
Just joined, rode most of my life up till summer 2018, an accident ( not on a motorbike ) pretty much stopped my life.
Been looking at what to buy next, and get back into riding, and decided on an Africa.
Wanted to join here for tips and tricks on what to do when I get my bike, and look around for anyone selling a barely used Africa in my area, before I slap down a deposit on a new 2022 in a week or so.
Thanks for having me.

Lake
Welcome back to living.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,256 Posts
Hi and welcome

Reactions: WTFMAN

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
747 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Whiskey-Tango-Fox man. If you're looking for a great all-around bike it's hard to beat the Twin. Long trips, short trips, high trips, low trips, even trips into the belly of the beast and back. She takes a beating and will get you home. Ask me how I know...

Also, there're tons (or tonnes if you're from the wrong side of the border) of useful after-market goodies for the girl. You can get a good idea of the utility of many/most of them here BEFORE you buy.

Great bike, great Forum! Great to have you aboard. Ride safe and post often. Best regards,

Willy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already set my mind on an Africa, biggest thing to decide next is the color. Probably black, because I am too stupid to get the one that won't show the dirt as badly.

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
I've already set my mind on an Africa, biggest thing to decide next is the color. Probably black, because I am too stupid to get the one that won't show the dirt as badly.
The metallic charcoal grey-black is pretty low maintenance and easy to rinse down. No waxing - ever. The gloss black might drive certain people crazy with summertime greasy, smudgy fingerprints.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
182 Posts
If it is the base model and not the Adventure Sports then the colour is Ballistic Black and it is the best colour available ;) I think the 2022 model of AS will also come in that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again everybody.

I do plan to get the Adventure model, sounds like it has extras I would like.

DDevildogg I will give them a call. Was going to order from Jim, at his small dealer in 100 Mile House, what a great guy. But good to explore my options as well.
Would you happen to know if they have a black adventure model?
I like being slightly different, and most I See are the red white and blue, which is a lot of the reason I want black. The guy who swapped bikes with me this summer, and kindly let me ride his AT for an hour, his was a 2018 base model, manual transmission. It was only 2 minutes of good gravel road, the rest pavement sadly. Would have loved to try it on trails through the woods, and riding a sandy beach, but it was very kind of him to allow me to ride it all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks again everybody.

I do plan to get the Adventure model, sounds like it has extras I would like.

DDevildogg I will give them a call. Was going to order from Jim, at his small dealer in 100 Mile House, what a great guy. But good to explore my options as well.
Would you happen to know if they have a black adventure model?
I like being slightly different, and most I See are the red white and blue, which is a lot of the reason I want black. The guy who swapped bikes with me this summer, and kindly let me ride his AT for an hour, his was a 2018 base model, manual transmission. It was only 2 minutes of good gravel road, the rest pavement sadly. Would have loved to try it on trails through the woods, and riding a sandy beach, but it was very kind of him to allow me to ride it all.
Funny I bought a leftover 2020 from him just recently someone happened to be coming to the Kootenays from there they picked it up and brought it to a dealer here for me. It was set up and in good order with recalls done when I got it. Black Adventure Sport
Good hunting

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny I bought a leftover 2020 from him just recently someone happened to be coming to the Kootenays from there they picked it up and brought it to a dealer here for me. It was set up and in good order with recalls done when I got it. Black Adventure Sport
Good hunting
Jim at All Terrain in 100 mile is a top notch guy!
Bought bikes from him, even when i lived in west kelowna. Bought more bikes last year, and have a pair of sleds on order with him, i should get next month.
They are a small shop, but great service. If he needs my bike in his shop for a couple hours, drop it off, walk 1000' down the hill to Happy Landings restaurant, enjoy a fabulous meal there, **** they have great food, walk back up the hill, and if its not done yet, just kick around the store for a while. Be careful though, looking around the store gets really expensive, new coats, helmets, honda generator, 2 honda fire pumps, 1200 feet of fire hose, nozzles, ya that looking gets expensive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts