Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking to purchase an ADV bike and came here to learn as much as I can about the AT.

Haven't completely ruled out the Yamaha Super Tenere, but I am definitely leaning toward the Honda now. It seems like so much bike for the money.

If you have any buying advice, please speak out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the addition! Well it comes down to what are you planning to do with it? This bike handle really well on the road, neutrally bias as to setting position and ease of the ride. It feels small under you, and packed a powerful punch. Now the numbers aren't that impressive, but once you ride it you will see. Simple systems to operate on the manual trans, Honda Reputation, Reliability and price point. If you want Bias Highway bike than this might not be the bike. If off roading, search youtube Touratech Halles Rally 2016. 195 KM per hr over loose rocks down a beach on day 6 thats 127 MPH! Won the twin cylinder class and 2nd place behind the lighter more off road dirt friendly single cylinder machines. Day one the rider of the AT, his roll chart and trip meter malfunctioned and had to back track and came in 5th overall. He hit a large rock on day 4 and broke off the right foot peg, and finished that half day without it. Then came in 1st! in class. Ok, there is something to this, its an off road machine! Now, I have road Endro Bike for years, 1992 on-- the suspension in my opinion lacks in the high speed light ruffles and need attention. Have I road over 100 mph in Colorado on dirt, Yep! Brakes are fantastic! Adjustable Traction on the fly works great. The ABS lockout feature for the rear is easy to use. The Honda is simple period. So what do you what to do? Where to ride?

I road 600 miles on mine in Silverton Co and done all the trials there. Except Black bear and one other heading to Teluride. I had a blast, riding Hurricane Pass, Engineer, Alpine Loop, very capable machine. No wreck and fall downs on my 600 mile ride.

The front suspension needs attention for hi speed 2-4 inch rocks 15-30 mph. Lots of feedback to the rider. Arm pump like pop eye the sailor. Now suspension mods will remove this issue. The street handling is good, to me the front end is a little soft under braking hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Todd, I did indeed buy a Africa Twin and have just about 1000 miles on it now.

I rode a touring motorcycle before, so the AT is a completely different experience. I am not an experienced dirt rider and I am primarily riding it on dirt roads, and fire roads, no single track.

Having a blast though, particularly with the warm weather we are having.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi PV and welcome to the forum.what touring bike had u previous and why hv u changed for AT.i to am into touring bikes but want a bike that I can use all year round.no experience of off road so maybe a little now and again.mainly to commute,weekend blasts and maybe some long distance.had two short tests and it felt good.had been thinking of KTM 1290 or Ducati multi.very pricey with far to much technology.what was ye story for the change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a quick follow up,

I rode a XR650R for 16 years! I did a dual sport plate conversion, suspension upgrades, and larger fuel tank in 2001. I just road that bike and never had issues. 2 sets of rear brake pads, 3 sets of front, original for seals! Changed oil and filter the start of each season, and mid way through. Changed the brake fluid every 2 years and changes the coolant every 2 years. Never failed to bring me home. This bike still had the original chain and sprockets after 16 years. I cleaned the chain with a brush, used only 80W90 oil to lube the chain after cleaning it. OEM fuilds and filters...since 2000. I sold that bike to a good friend for more than I paid for it new in 2000. It was the undefeated Baja 1000 champion for there 8 years it ran. 2008 the next generation came into play on the baja and the bike left production.

What I emphasize is Hondas reputation, reliability, and its maybe not first on race day, but you do not need a pit crew to keep to running. Thats real value!

I have the exact same story on the older XR600R 93 I sold in 2000 after 7 years of riding.

I also own a 2001 GL1800 Goldwing, 73k miles on it. My 3rd Goldwing and over 125K miles riding on the street between all three.

Same story, tires, brake pads, 2 batteries, oem oils and filters and just ride it.

I have owned 3 KTM's "1 new" and 1 used BMW RT 46k miles, and I can not make those statements on those bikes.

Between an ABS issue, Throttle Body Shafts, Ignition Puckup Sensor, Rear Dif Bearing issue, I spent 3 times on repair parts on my RT, than 1993-2016 3 goldwings and 125K miles in just minor services, oils and filters, and no repairs, Thats a fact!

Good luck on whatever you choose, Welcome to addiction!

My new suspension upgrades are coming in for my African Twin from Touratech. I welcome you all to call these guys. Wonderful do deal with. Quality well thought out products, and they stand behind them. If your not happy, send them back! They want you happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what touring bike had u previous and why hv u changed for AT.i to am into touring bikes but want a bike that I can use all year round.
Rockie I had a 2009 Harley-Davidson Road King. I loved that bike, but living here in Colorado, I found that there were places I wanted to go that I simply couldn't on an 800lb. motorcycle. I put 47,000 miles on it and enjoyed them all.

I would have preferred to keep it, but with the maintenance costs, license plates, etc., it wasn't possible.

What I emphasize is Hondas reputation, reliability, and its maybe not first on race day, but you do not need a pit crew to keep to running. Thats real value!
This is a big part of the reason I went with the AT. I know I can ride my Honda anywhere and there will always be a large dealer network if I need support.

I owned one other Honda - a CB 900 - back in the eighties. I did the required maintenance on it, and never had to put another dime in it for mechanical issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts