Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2019 DCT base model last week and am thrilled. I look forward to some great rides this year, including a ride to Portland, OR over the summer. My previous bike was 15’ f700gs and crf250 rally. I loved the rally, but saw to much overlap to justify keeping it. Cheers!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I picked up a 2019 DCT base model last week and am thrilled. I look forward to some great rides this year, including a ride to Portland, OR over the summer. My previous bike was 15’ f700gs and crf250 rally. I loved the rally, but saw to much overlap to justify keeping it. Cheers!
Hi and welcome, hope to see some pics soon of your adventures :grin2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I never thought I would ever get a DCT version not alone being “thrilled” about it. Something about DCT that is inspiring.

I have not been out on it very far due to the sub-freezing temperatures. I will report back after a few rides and maybe a pic or two.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mcrockard! Congratulations on your new purchase!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I never thought I would ever get a DCT version not alone being “thrilled” about it. Something about DCT that is inspiring.

I have not been out on it very far due to the sub-freezing temperatures. I will report back after a few rides and maybe a pic or two.

Cheers!
The DCT certainly opens opportunities to enjoy the ride in other ways.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Cheers!

High in the 50's expected for today. Get out for a spin if you can :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed! I am definitely going out at lunchtime and enjoying a ride. Hope you can too. Cheers!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome! I envy you, I was in Colorado Twice including rides in the trails and obviously also up Pikes Peak and your state is an amazing playground for motorcyclists.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Agreed! I am definitely going out at lunchtime and enjoying a ride. Hope you can too. Cheers!

That's the plan. We were waiting to see if my wife was going to get called in, but it appears we are good to go! :)

I hear ya on the DCT thing. The first AT I purchased was a 2016 DCT. I took it out for a test ride because it was the one they had available for a test. I was sure I was going to hate it and order the standard version, but I ended up taking it home instead. Currently have a 2019 ATAS DCT. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speedo007 - I will not lie. We have it pretty good in Colorado. It is one of the best areas for adventure riding and dual sport. Hope you can come out again soon and enjoy some more time. Cheers!

·
Registered
115 Posts
We did Ouray,Silverton and Colorado springs in August we love Colorado, West Texas aint got much

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great trip. I try to make Ouray once a summer. I live in north Colorado and get to travel trail ridge road often and southern Wyoming. Most roads less crowded (outside trail ridge). Same invite! Hurry back this year. Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the plan. We were waiting to see if my wife was going to get called in, but it appears we are good to go! :)

I hear ya on the DCT thing. The first AT I purchased was a 2016 DCT. I took it out for a test ride because it was the one they had available for a test. I was sure I was going to hate it and order the standard version, but I ended up taking it home instead. Currently have a 2019 ATAS DCT. :)

Cuchulainn - I got out for a quick 40 mile ride and loved it. I am very mindful of what gear I am always in and probably don’t need to be on DCT. I tried S3 mode and liked it but found myself downshifting with paddle for tight turns and downhills. Is this the proper way to use the DCT? I am guessing there is a way to set the EB and program the user mode that could help. Probably should read the manual eh?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cuchulainn - I got out for a quick 40 mile ride and loved it. I am very mindful of what gear I am always in and probably don’t need to be on DCT. I tried S3 mode and liked it but found myself downshifting with paddle for tight turns and downhills. Is this the proper way to use the DCT? I am guessing there is a way to set the EB and program the user mode that could help. Probably should read the manual eh?

The manual is a good read to help understand what the bike is doing and why at given times. But even afterward you will still want to do some experimenting with the various Sport Modes and Ride Modes and see which combination of S and Ride mode works best for your riding style. You may find you change the S modes and/or ride modes for different road conditions.

Ignore Honda's names for the ride modes, they are obviously just suggestions so don't take to heart the Tour/Urban/Gravel names. Also experiment with the settings under User Mode for Power, Engine Breaking and Traction Control and find your own preference. I currently have my User Mode as P1 EB1 TC1, but I am still experimenting with it since the ATAS is still relatively new to me and my 2016 AT didn't have it :)

You really don't need to be that mindful of what gear your in with the DTC, it's pretty good at figuring it out and the more you ride it the more you will trust it to just do it's tbing.

That said, I do still downshift with the paddles at times when I feel like over riding the DCT. At first it seemed a bit wierd and I had to keep thinking about where the button was all the time. But it eventually becomes muscle memory and second nature.

My wife and I also got out for a jaunt today. About 120 miles. Mostly paved and a little light unpaved. To early in the year to get too adventurous. Had to treck through a couple legs of light snow and a couple small ice patches, but nothing crazy :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts