Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!, my name is David, i'am from Lac-St-John in Québec and i speak french 99% of the time, but i try to do my best to read and wrote in english.
I'am looking for a new bike for next summer, and my choice is stop on the Yamaha FJ-09 and Africa Twin.
For now, i can have a leftover 2017 FJ for $10000 and a 2017 leftover Africa Twin for $11099with standard manual transmission. I realy don't know which one to take. The AT will be more practical bike for long ride with my girlfriend, and let me go on gravel road if i want, but i am a little concern about the Power, 94HP in a 500++ pounds bike.
On another side, the Yamaha is a realy fun, light and crazy powerfull bike, but limit off road capability.
I know i will do 95/5 on/off road.
But the Africa is a so sexy machine, and i think the resale value could be better than FJ..... ???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum man! For what it's worth I find the Africa Twin's power to be more than enough even though I know some people will say otherwise. I don't think you would regret the AT at all. But I never really understood the "sport-touring" category of motorcycles, I would prefer to get the Africa Twin and have the increased functionality, even if it is a little heavier/slower.

Granted if you come to an Africa Twin forum asking if you should get an Africa Twin or a different bike, I am sure that the majority of people on here are going to say get the Africa Twin. But I am sure you can't go wrong either way!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Bonjour!
I've ridden through your area and will be passing nearby again this summer - Dolbeau/Mistassini. Beautiful country.
If it's all on-road riding the FJ is a really nice bike. If you want to venture into the ZECs and offroad and ride/tour on road - the Africa Twin for the win!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bonjour!
I've ridden through your area and will be passing nearby again this summer - Dolbeau/Mistassini. Beautiful country.
If it's all on-road riding the FJ is a really nice bike. If you want to venture into the ZECs and offroad and ride/tour on road - the Africa Twin for the win!
Hello, my cousine leave in Calgary.
My girlfriend and i have a cottage at St-Tite, in Mauricie.
It's a beautifull place to ride!

It's the moto show at Québec in 2 weeks, so i think i'll take my decision for the bike choice at the moto show.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi DavidBob!

I'm from Lévis, on the southshore of the St-Laurent river. It's the first time I write on this forum because I'm too scared to make mistake in English, as I speak french 99.99% of the time.

I enjoy to read this forum, it's so helpful and people is kind.

I have rented an AT with manual transmission last october for a day and 350km or 217 milles, 60% of the time on gravel roads. I have so much liked it, that I will buy one. I'm waiting for the moto show in Québec City february the 1st to see if dealers can make good deals.

It will be my 15th motorcycle. The last one was a 2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES that I bought brand new in may 2017. I have sold it last june. I prefer the AT to the FJR.

Welcome to this forum, you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi DavidBob!

I'm from Lévis, on the southshore of the St-Laurent river. It's the first time I write on this forum because I'm too scared to make mistake in English, as I speak french 99.99% of the time.

I have rented an AT with manual transmission last october for a day and 350km or 217 milles, 60% of the time on gravel roads. I have so much liked it, that I will buy one. I'm waiting for the moto show in Québec City february the 1st to see if dealers can make good deals.

It will be my 15th motorcycle. The last one was a 2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES that I bought brand new in may 2017. I have sold it last june. I prefer the AT to the FJR.

Ne vous inquiétez pas les amis, vous faites aussi des fautes en français non? Surtout en parlant le québécois!
Soyez bienvenus :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi DavidBob!

Ne vous inquiétez pas les amis, vous faites aussi des fautes en français non? Surtout en parlant le québécois!
Soyez bienvenus /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Salut!!

Je serai moi aussi au salon de la moto a Québec!
Et cest là que je ferai mon choix entre l'Africa Twin, le FJ09 et le KTM 1090..

Trop hate de les voir en vrai! En passant, qu'à tu pensé de la puissace de l'Africa Twin??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Salut!!

Je serai moi aussi au salon de la moto a Québec!
Et cest là que je ferai mon choix entre l'Africa Twin, le FJ09 et le KTM 1090..

Trop hate de les voir en vrai! En passant, qu'à tu pensé de la puissace de l'Africa Twin??

Pour MOI, la puissance est amplement suffisante. Je suis même resté surpris de voir comment ça ''tirait''. Mais encore là, ça dépend des goûts.

J'ai adoré cette moto, on dirait qu'on a un vélo entre les jambes ou, au pire, un motocross. Même avec le petit windshield qui l'équipait, je n'avais pas de vent, de bruit ni de turbulence, juste assez d'air pour être confortable.

En passant, où as-tu déniché un 2017 pour $11,099? L'automne dernier, il y en avait un flambant neuf chez RMMotosport de Victoriaville pour $10,495.00, mais il est vendu.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Having ridden a Honda VFR for ten years (sport touring) and then buying the AT, I don't miss the VFR at all (other than maybe it was an awesome looking bike).
The AT is a capable road bike and gives you a lot more options for places you can go when riding.
Thanks for practising your English with us. I'll have to practice my terrible oral French skills in Quebec this summer - embarrassing. :laugh:

It's the moto show at Québec in 2 weeks, so i think i'll take my decision for the bike choice at the moto show.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having ridden a Honda VFR for ten years (sport touring) and then buying the AT, I don't miss the VFR at all (other than maybe it was an awesome looking bike).
The AT is a capable road bike and gives you a lot more options for places you can go when riding.
Thanks for practising your English with us. I'll have to practice my terrible oral French skills in Quebec this summer - embarrassing. /forum/images/AfricaTwinForum/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png

Ahah!!!
Thank you!

When i write, my english is not so bad..... I think?
But to speak with another person face to face?? Hoooo my god????

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nice! Felicitations! C'est une moto fantastique! Maintenant if faut attendre l'ete. (Grade school French) ;)

Reactions: MotoJP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! Felicitations! C'est une moto fantastique! Maintenant if faut attendre l'ete. (Grade school French) ;)

Thank you!

Did you ask for a translator to write this ''quote''? (lol) There is no mistake. Your French is perfect.

And don't worry for your french speaking whenever you come to Québec, most of the people prefer to speak english as to improve.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Haha. No, I wrote this one. I took French right through school but that was a long time ago. It's surprising how much of it is still sitting in dark corners of my brain waiting to be brought to light again.
My written French and reading is good. I'm looking forward to practicing again this summer.

Thank you!

Did you ask for a translator to write this ''quote''? (lol) There is no mistake. Your French is perfect.

And don't worry for your french speaking whenever you come to Québec, most of the people prefer to speak english as to improve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts