Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just a quick hello to the forum. Have been previous member of ZX9R / Blackbird / GS / VFR forums, and the level of info / discussion / humour never disappointed.

So... took delivery of my 2016 AT with DCT in early Oct. 2 months on, I can safely say it's one of the best bikes I haver ever ridden. The DCT was a complete leap of faith, but it truly is a revelation. 1000cc of twist and go..... bonkers. Just an awesome bit of engineering by Honda.

Now to start Christmas shopping for accessories to trick up my AT...

Cheers

MFW

·
Registered
238 Posts
Am a member of Vfr forum too.great for info and chat.how did u decide on auto.was yr 1200 auto?i hope to hv mine in January.manual.what colour did u pick.best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same question as Rockie. Planning to buy mine in Spring 17. Initially never even considered DCT version but, after having read a lot of positive things about it I'm not sure now what version to go with! I'm new to motorcycling but plan to do some touring around Europe and some off roading once I've built up some confidence and skills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a load of research on the DCT, and the reviews in the main were all in favour of it over the manual. My VFR was a manual, and I couldn't find a DCT to test ride. So a complete leap of faith.

I haven't looked back. It is just brilliant. Drive mode is a bit like eco-mode - it will change up as quickly as it can, and can feel like it's a gear or two high at slow speeds. Around town it can be in 6th at 30mph. But the engine copes perfectly - just feels like you want to be a gear lower sometimes... which is where the Sport modes come in. Put it into Sport 1 and it feels perfect (to me). Changes gear exactly as I would, when I would. Want to drop down the gears to engine brake coming up to a roundabout? Just override via the paddle shifter on the left grip. Simples. Roll on the throttle out of the roundabout / bend etc, and it holds the gear depending on how aggressively you are rolling the throttle, then seamlessly shifts up.

I thought I'd be bored. Far from it. Somehow it just makes the whole experience more engaging. I've ridden in Sport 2 for a bit, and it is just that little bit to 'revvy' for me. Sport 3 is just bonkers. One for the twisties me thinks when keeping up / overtaking your mates on sports bikes :)

The only negative (and it is a real minor thing) is at v low speed. There is no clutch to slip (obviously), so it is a question of being gentle on the throttle and feathering the back brake. It works just fine - just different.

Seriously - I've never grinned so much in 25 yrs of riding bikes. I'll see if I can post a copy of Ride magazines 'DCT or not to DCT' article...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts