Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

My name is Neil and I'm from HEX Innovate (UK) Ltd - the company behind the ezCAN Accessory Manager. We launched an ezCAN device specifically for the Africa Twin just under a year ago which so far has been positively received by the market. As a business we are keen to learn more about which cool gadgets, functions or features AT riders would like to see supported on our products and if there are any accessories which we're not compatible with today but SHOULD BE.... then please let us know!

You can see more about our company and products here:

Home - Hex Innovate
HEX ezCAN – All things ezCAN
ezCAN Sahara for Honda Installation Guide – HEX ezCAN

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I'm excited to learn more about the AT world over the coming weeks and months.

All the best and safe travels,
Neil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bluetooth dongle with Android app to allow configuring/changing without having to hook up to a PC/Laptop
Hi Hood,
I'm pleased to confirm that you're not the first person to ask (!) and this important request is firmly within our development plan... no confirmed release date just yet!
Cheers,
Neil

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,930 Posts
I would really like to be able to open the config software without having to connect to the bike. Sometimes I just want to see different settings or see what is possible without having to go out to the bike
Yes that is another thing that I wish for. Even better would be similar to what is available in software for servo drives on CNC machines, that is the ability to configure settings offline ready to upload to the device when wanted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm Stephan, the product owner of HEX ezCAN.. Neil as called on me to answer some of your questions...

Let me start by thanking you for your comments.. We can dream up what we like, but ultimately the best feedback is that of the cumulative community.. I may have it on all my bikes, but might be using it slightly different to you and that's were the community opinion becomes so important!

right, I will address them individually below..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bluetooth dongle with Android app to allow configuring/changing without having to hook up to a PC/Laptop
As Neil mentioned, this is a very definite on our product roadmap. I can add to that (probably adding more pressure on my team than I should) that we did have this on our 2022 roadmap, but the processor and general shortages, required us to reprioritise some developments... Personally this is one of the additions to ezCAN that most excite me!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would really like to be able to open the config software without having to connect to the bike. Sometimes I just want to see different settings or see what is possible without having to go out to the bike
🤔 I need to give this some thought..

We provide the ezCAN as a white labeled product as well.. and the splash screen is there to allow the software to wait for the hardware to be connected so it can identify the particular hardware and provide the correct software layout, skin and configuration for that particular white lable and/or product variant...

not only is there the white label difference, but the product variants differ too... The AT variant is very different to what is offered on the T7 variant or the Ducati variant.. so we would have to give some thought to what you would see "generically"...

Some possible solutions that comes to mind would be :
  • a demo mode (generic HEX-labeled, demo), or
  • remember your last variant, and present the software as though you were connected to it..

any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes that is another thing that I wish for. Even better would be similar to what is available in software for servo drives on CNC machines, that is the ability to configure settings offline ready to upload to the device when wanted.
in terms of "offline" , see my comments above... Once we can do that, you could use the normal configuration import and export to achieve this..
  • the Hamburger menu top right allows you to export your current configuration. you can use this simply to save your current configuration before making any changes that you're not sure about.. OR, as many of our distributors use it, to share with other users.. they simply import the configuration and everything is identical to yours...
  • likewise, assuming we had an offline mode, you could make changes, and export them to a config file.. then import them at any time in the future when you are connected to your physical ezCAN again.. this would also allow you to simply share your configuration as you have it, with others...

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,930 Posts
Demo mode would be good but even better would be a drop down list in the Demo where you could choose the variant of ezCAN you have. As said being able to configure offline then load to the ezCAN later would be good but if an app was available then that really might not be needed as it would greatly simplify setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
6 outputs would be a winner for me, the thought of having to get another unit, splitter cable and connection to battery again when I could had paid a bit more for 6 output option, like wise a 2 output option for the guys that just want front Aux lights
without giving too much away... I think we will address your requirements in 2023 (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Demo mode would be good but even better would be a drop down list in the Demo where you could choose the variant of ezCAN you have. As said being able to configure offline then load to the ezCAN later would be good but if an app was available then that really might not be needed as it would greatly simplify setup.
agreed, the mobiel app is what we are working towards, and being able to configure offline could be a nice feature, based on the device you last connected to...

I've always been hesitant to pursue a DEMO mode.. as it really is not a demo if you cant see the resulting effect your change is having..

·
Registered
19 Posts
🤔 I need to give this some thought..

We provide the ezCAN as a white labeled product as well.. and the splash screen is there to allow the software to wait for the hardware to be connected so it can identify the particular hardware and provide the correct software layout, skin and configuration for that particular white lable and/or product variant...

not only is there the white label difference, but the product variants differ too... The AT variant is very different to what is offered on the T7 variant or the Ducati variant.. so we would have to give some thought to what you would see "generically"...

Some possible solutions that comes to mind would be :
  • a demo mode (generic HEX-labeled, demo), or
  • remember your last variant, and present the software as though you were connected to it..

any suggestions welcome!
Remembering last would be a good solution to the "offline" mode. Even now when trying to give feedback on the software, I know I am forgetting something that I wanted added...but also don't want to walk out to my cold garage with my laptop ;)

Thanks for all the replies/answers!

·
Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
6 outputs would be a winner for me, the thought of having to get another unit, splitter cable and connection to battery again when I could had paid a bit more for 6 output option, like wise a 2 output option for the guys that just want front Aux lights
Yup, the 4 connectors are a little limiting.

·
Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
Two suggestions:
  1. I'd also suggest having an ezCAN for the Honda Goldwing. It's a major gap here in the US since America is the largest Goldwing market in the world.
  2. Your Customer Service at your website is not quite responsive. Please let your leadership know. Compared with Denali's customer service, it is night and day in my experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can someone explain to me, as if explaining to a six year old, why I would want an ezcan type product? I'm setting up a new 1100 and will need power for fog lights that I will run constantly for daytime visibility (I don't normally ride at night) and power for an electric vest and a connector for a batterycharger. I suppose I might find something else to plug in but I'm not an electronics kind of guy.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,930 Posts
For the fog/spot lights you can hook them up to the ezCAN and do all sorts with them without additional switches.
For example you can have them at 4 different brightness levels depending on day/night/low/main beam and no switches requires as the ezCAN monitors the bikes own light switch and light sensor and acts accordingly. You can set the brightness in each of these 4 scenarios to be whatever you want from 0-100%
Additionally if you connect the left light to one circuit and the right to another you can have one side switch off when indicating to make the indicator more visible. You can also set the fog lights to strobe when you push the horn button and likewise if you flash the headlight 3 times you can have the lights strobe.

For accessories such as GPS or camera if you connect to the ezCAN you can set a power down period so that when you switch the bike off the power won't be removed from the device until that period has elapsed thus allowing them to shut down correctly.

Heated gear you can connect and have the ezCAN look at the heated grips setting and adjust the heated gear temp in conjunction.

You can also work additional brake light/indicators/horns etc if you wish and like all above you do not need to tap into any of the bikes wiring as the ezCAN looks at the bikes CANbus and does whatever you have set up the outputs of the ezCAN to do.

Battery charger connector can not be done via the ezCAN, that will need a direct connection to the battery.

·
Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
Can someone explain to me, as if explaining to a six year old, why I would want an ezcan type product? I'm setting up a new 1100 and will need power for fog lights that I will run constantly for daytime visibility (I don't normally ride at night) and power for an electric vest and a connector for a batterycharger. I suppose I might find something else to plug in but I'm not an electronics kind of guy.
Thanks
I'll give it a shot here...

First, a Controller Area Network (CAN) bus is like an interstate highway for the different controller chips to receive, send and exchange signals in your motorcycle. It was first introduced by the giant German Bosch company. Needles to say, CANbus technology is highly adopted in most European motorcycles. For Honda, the Africa Twin and the Goldwing are blessed with a CANbus. There may be other Honda bikes which I'm not aware of.

The ezCAN or Denali's CANsmart is a CANbus passive listener device that plugs onto the CANbus. In networking terminologies, it is enabled in a promiscuous mode. This means that the ezCAN can "see" all of the CANbus chatters that are going on among the controllers in the bike.

Next, the aux light and other peripheral devices which are plugged into the ezCAN runs on a separate circuit controlled by the ezCAN, which the CANbus is unaware of. So, you may ask: what difference does it make to be able to listen to the CANbus?

It's all about customizations; especially, the useful ones.

Here are a couple of customization examples:
- Horn signal: if the Horn button is pressed, that signal will show up on the CANbus. ezCAN will pick it up and activate your additional horn, such as the Denali SoundBomb, on a separate circuit. So, you get the OEM horn and your additional horn. Additionally, since the ezCAN knows that the Horn signal was sent out, it can also flash the aux lights (if you configure that way). In this way, other vehicles will get both the audio and visual cues of where the sound came from.

- Signal lights: similarly, when a signal light is activated, the ezCAN will pick up that message on the CANbus. It can then decide to turn off the Aux on the same side of the flashing signal light to ensure that the signal light is not competing with the Aux light. Obviously, when the signal light is done flashing, that is detectable on the CANbus and ezCAN will pick it up and turn the Aux light back ON.

So, the above 2 examples are, of course, configurable in ezCAN. You may choose not do those with a click of a button on the firmware config Application provided by Hex.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts