Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
I'll give it a shot here...

First, a Controller Area Network (CAN) bus is like an interstate highway for the different controller chips to receive, send and exchange signals in your motorcycle. It was first introduced by the giant German Bosch company. Needles to say, CANbus technology is highly adopted in most European motorcycles. For Honda, the Africa Twin and the Goldwing are blessed with a CANbus. There may be other Honda bikes which I'm not aware of.

The ezCAN or Denali's CANsmart is a CANbus passive listener device that plugs onto the CANbus. In networking terminologies, it is enabled in a promiscuous mode. This means that the ezCAN can "see" all of the CANbus chatters that are going on among the controllers in the bike.

Next, the aux light and other peripheral devices which are plugged into the ezCAN runs on a separate circuit controlled by the ezCAN, which the CANbus is unaware of. So, you may ask: what difference does it make to be able to listen to the CANbus?

It's all about customizations; especially, the useful ones.

Here are a couple of customization examples:
- Horn signal: if the Horn button is pressed, that signal will show up on the CANbus. ezCAN will pick it up and activate your additional horn, such as the Denali SoundBomb, on a separate circuit. So, you get the OEM horn and your additional horn. Additionally, since the ezCAN knows that the Horn signal was sent out, it can also flash the aux lights (if you configure that way). In this way, other vehicles will get both the audio and visual cues of where the sound came from.

- Signal lights: similarly, when a signal light is activated, the ezCAN will pick up that message on the CANbus. It can then decide to turn off the Aux on the same side of the flashing signal light to ensure that the signal light is not competing with the Aux light. Obviously, when the signal light is done flashing, that is detectable on the CANbus and ezCAN will pick it up and turn the Aux light back ON.

So, the above 2 examples are, of course, configurable in ezCAN. You may choose not do those with a click of a button on the firmware config Application provided by Hex.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, so if I understand, the ezcan converts a digital signal from the bike to a switched current signal? Sort of a digital/analog converter.
So unless I want to integrate controls or functions of the bike with accessories there would be no benefit to me, right?

· Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
Thanks, so if I understand, the ezcan converts a digital signal from the bike to a switched current signal? Sort of a digital/analog converter.
So unless I want to integrate controls or functions of the bike with accessories there would be no benefit to me, right?
The ezCAN is hooked up directly into the the battery.
Whatever circuits (whether it is switched or not) that the ezCAN controls are separate from the CANbus circuits: they can be anything.
So, to say that it is digital/analog converter is OK but not exactly true. It's just listening to signals in the CANbus and then decide, on its own, to do other actions outside the CANbus.

Yes and No.

If you are inserting your own devices into a CANbus based vehicle, the safe way is to plug everything into the battery. If you "steal" current from existing CANbus-based circuits, large fluctuations, which are not large enough to trip the physical fuse, can be detected and reported on the CANbus and the ECU may flag it and produce a CHECK ENGINE light ON situation. This is the major downside of CANbus based system. There's more policing by the bike manufacturer.

Now, the issue with plugging everything into the battery is this: you will end up with a bowl of spaghetti. That's essentially what the CANbus designer wants to avoid. So, we are back to square one.

Not all CANbus based Hondas are supported by Hex/Denali; the Goldwing is not. If I have an Africa Twin, I'd go with ezCAN or SmartCAN: it's the way to go if you are adding peripherals.

And, if you are planning to put Denali's products, I'd suggest getting the SmartCAN as it will include all the popularly used cables and plugs. If you get the ezCAN (like me), I'd be dangling for a few weeks finding out that I'm missing this cable and then missing another one and had to order them. Why not just get the Denali's version. They are physically the same thing with/without the cables.

· Premium Member
718 Posts
from another forum, maybe Neil (HEX) can clarify if this "dead internal battery" has been addressed ?

"Just got the bike out of storage and my ezCAN is completely dead. My guess is its 5V internal power supply died which wont allow its internal IC to detect CAN communication, in turn, it doesn't work. It does work with USB connected but that's it....etc"

· Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
from another forum, maybe Neil (HEX) can clarify if this "dead internal battery" has been addressed ?

"Just got the bike out of storage and my ezCAN is completely dead. My guess is its 5V internal power supply died which wont allow its internal IC to detect CAN communication, in turn, it doesn't work. It does work with USB connected but that's it....etc"
Interesting ... I'd expect that they put a rechargeable battery in it if they need a local power supply for that stupid green blinking light. The ezCAN is hooked up directly to the battery so it can draw power from the battery to power that single LED light (probably in microAmps); I wonder why there is a local battery.
The green light is superfluous, it should only light up as RED if there's a problem; so, there is no power needed for the NORMAL state.

I wonder if that guy start using the bike a few days, would the ezCAN return to life?

· Registered
31 Posts
Two suggestions:
  1. I'd also suggest having an ezCAN for the Honda Goldwing. It's a major gap here in the US since America is the largest Goldwing market in the world.
I woud love to get one out for the Goldwing.. but they're a little hard to get hold of... ;-)

1. Your Customer Service at your website is not quite responsive. Please let your leadership know. Compared with Denali's customer service, it is night and day in my experience.
That's unfortunate to hear.. will send you a PM to get more info so I can take that up with the powers that be...

· Registered
31 Posts
Can someone explain to me, as if explaining to a six year old, why I would want an ezcan type product? I'm setting up a new 1100 and will need power for fog lights that I will run constantly for daytime visibility (I don't normally ride at night) and power for an electric vest and a connector for a batterycharger. I suppose I might find something else to plug in but I'm not an electronics kind of guy.
Thanks
let me give the group some time.. eager to hear their responses...

· Registered
31 Posts
- Horn signal: if the Horn button is pressed, that signal will show up on the CANbus. ezCAN will pick it up and activate your additional horn, such as the Denali SoundBomb, on a separate circuit. So, you get the OEM horn and your additional horn. Additionally, since the ezCAN knows that the Horn signal was sent out, it can also flash the aux lights (if you configure that way). In this way, other vehicles will get both the audio and visual cues of where the sound came from.
This might not sound like much (pun intended) but it has saved my hide twice.. one very recently.. I instinctively hit the horn - the offending car hears this.. but the strobing lights are what registeres the the specific point of threat...

On a completely different advantage.. the OEs are starting to like ezCAN as it allows them (dealers) and customers to install aftermarket accessories faster and safer (just had a Ducati DP rush us as to when the ezCAN is releasing as he's had to replace two harnesses recently..

· Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
This might not sound like much (pun intended) but it has saved my hide twice.. one very recently.. I instinctively hit the horn - the offending car hears this.. but the strobing lights are what registeres the the specific point of threat...

On a completely different advantage.. the OEs are starting to like ezCAN as it allows them (dealers) and customers to install aftermarket accessories faster and safer (just had a Ducati DP rush us as to when the ezCAN is releasing as he's had to replace two harnesses recently..
This feature, among the rest, is well thought out, @StephanT. This use case fits like a glove into the list of safety needs in motorcycling. Well done!

· Registered
31 Posts

this was a very interesting challenge.. Let me start by saying it was addressed and fixed in February/March 2021 - We used a very specific potting compound that is certified for use with electronics.. (very limited thermal expansion and contraction - ordinary potting's expansion/contaction can break the components off the PCB)... but it turns out the combination of the oval shape of the shell and the material (aluminium) has different contraction forces an the rounding edge, that in turn exerted a force onto one of the Power Supply components on the edge of the board...

We changed the potting compound and I am pleased to report that we have had a Zero failure rate in that category since that manufacturing change was made in March 2021...

I did write a post on this particular issue on our ezCAn forum.. let me see if I can find it.. Here we go:
Continuous improvement - increasing the reliability of the HEX ezCAN GEN-II

Hope this helps!

· Registered
31 Posts
Interesting ... I'd expect that they put a rechargeable battery in it if they need a local power supply for that stupid green blinking light. The ezCAN is hooked up directly to the battery so it can draw power from the battery to power that single LED light (probably in microAmps); I wonder why there is a local battery.
The green light is superfluous, it should only light up as RED if there's a problem; so, there is no power needed for the NORMAL state.

I wonder if that guy start using the bike a few days, would the ezCAN return to life?
The blipping Green LED draws very little current.. however, you're not the first to have asked about this.. So we ahve listened..

the ezCANs running on my Pan Am and F850GSA (pls don't stone me.. I need test bikes) :LOL: have been running with NO blinking Green LED when in sleep... this will shortly be released in a new update...

· Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
this was a very interesting challenge.. Let me start by saying it was addressed and fixed in February/March 2021 - We used a very specific potting compound that is certified for use with electronics.. (very limited thermal expansion and contraction - ordinary potting's expansion/contaction can break the components off the PCB)... but it turns out the combination of the oval shape of the shell and the material (aluminium) has different contraction forces an the rounding edge, that in turn exerted a force onto one of the Power Supply components on the edge of the board...

We changed the potting compound and I am pleased to report that we have had a Zero failure rate in that category since that manufacturing change was made in March 2021...

I did write a post on this particular issue on our ezCAn forum.. let me see if I can find it.. Here we go:
Continuous improvement - increasing the reliability of the HEX ezCAN GEN-II

Hope this helps!
Thanks, @StephanT, for the detailed explanation. It helped a lot to put confidence back into your product.

So we can put all the myths/rumors to rest ... is there a local battery powering the green light or is this drawn from the main battery in the bike?

· Registered
31 Posts
Not all CANbus based Hondas are supported by Hex/Denali; the Goldwing is not. If I have an Africa Twin, I'd go with ezCAN or SmartCAN: it's the way to go if you are adding peripherals.

And, if you are planning to put Denali's products, I'd suggest getting the SmartCAN as it will include all the popularly used cables and plugs. If you get the ezCAN (like me), I'd be dangling for a few weeks finding out that I'm missing this cable and then missing another one and had to order them. Why not just get the Denali's version. They are physically the same thing with/without the cables.
Yes the ezCAN get the power it uses to drive the outputs directly from the battery... and the CANbus messages are just the "input signals" that helps it make decisions...
  • we can tell the brake to flash because we know you are braking..
  • Because we also monitor the speed, we can initiate and emergency flash pattern on harsh braking..
  • We can determine when you are on high beam and thus when not.. even whether it's day or night.. and you can set up your VERY bright lights to shine 3 days into the future when you're on high beam.. but be effectively only Day Time Running lights when on Low beam..
  • In the US where modulation is legal, you simply slide on one slider in the Auxiliary light configuration and your lights will modulate on Low beam during daytime...
  • ..and there are many many more functions... kinda why the guys above want to be "playing" with the configuration "offline"
although the ezCAN has a main HARD (real) fuse, we have implemented a really neat fusing mechanism individually on each output.. this algorithm mimics a real fuse unlike many (most) of the other devices and OE body controllers that if they aer set to fuse on 10A will fuse in a us as soon as the current is a fraction over that set value... Our algorithm (as do real fuses) thus cope well with inrush currents etc..

Point in case: Let's look at a Denali Sound bomb.. although it draws 20A, the inrush current to get the compressor going averages at a peak current of around 46 Amps... (y)

On the topic of a Sound Bomb, just another advantage of using an ezCAN is the ease of installation.. you literally just connect it to one of the outputs and set the output to "Horn".. in all other installations you would need to wire in a separate relay... As you would with many of the high power lights...

hope this helps a bit..

· Registered
31 Posts
and as a last point before a board a 12h long hauler...
we are continuously improving ALL our products...
  • If you have any suggestions, pls feel free to contact us at HEX.
  • If you have any new model support suggestions, have the owners send their requests to the Help Desk.. we use that info to prioritise future variant support!

adios!

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,943 Posts
The blipping Green LED draws very little current.. however, you're not the first to have asked about this.. So we ahve listened..

the ezCANs running on my Pan Am and F850GSA (pls don't stone me.. I need test bikes) :LOL: have been running with NO blinking Green LED when in sleep... this will shortly be released in a new update...
Hope the dongle/app comes at the same time as the update to save me having to reel out the power lead across my neighbours garden so I can power the laptop(with a dodgy battery) then set up my mobile as a hotspot so I can connect the laptop to the internet :D

· Premium Member
718 Posts
and as a last point before a board a 12h long hauler...
we are continuously improving ALL our products...
  • If you have any suggestions, pls feel free to contact us at HEX.
Stephan, thank you for clarifications, RE: dead battery... (y)

Quick question, do you guys plan to implement any "rodents protection" on your cables and harnesses... in a form of "braided sleeves or chemical inhibitors"...for some reasons bike harnesses are on every rodent menu :rolleyes:

Attached below pdf on how Belden protects their cables
Font Parallel Electric blue Rectangle Slope

Attachments

· Registered
'22 AT DCT
145 Posts
If you have rodent problems with the ezCAN then I reckon you will have bigger issues with the harness on the AT itself.
Yes, I think rodent issues are a little out of the scope of electronics manufacturers.

I'd find the root cause of the rodent issue: usually, it is due to sealing of the garage or shed. You can also manage the population by setting up traps.

· Premium Member
2021 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
24 Posts
I was thinking about if you could pause audio for some items with a resume in X seconds.

Let’s say I’m in emergency deceleration, or Horn, would be nice to find the canbus id for play button and toggle it, if bike is stopped after the event, keep it paused or if bike is still moving resume audio.

Output: 1

(Triggered Options)
[x] pause audio
[x] enable audio after [15] seconds if moving equals [true]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts