Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time rider, started at 5yo, now 52. Been riding street since I was 14, gave up harescrambles just a few years ago. Current rides are an 06 CBR 1000rr, bought new in 06, and an 08 crf230l, bought a year old from a friend that needed a couple small bikes for his kids. Still have my 06 crf250x.

The Mrs likes to go for rides, but doesn't particularly care for the CBR (I didn't buy it for 2 up...). I'm looking at the Africa twin. My local dealer has two left over 2017 models. A manual, 8999, and a dct, 9499.

Any input would be appreciated.

It's my understanding, bother models have abs, and it can be turned off for the rear wheel. Do both have traction control?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Hi and welcome

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll assume there's people that own more just the DCT AT, and perhaps their other bike is manual shift. Have you noticed any difference in your riding when switching from a DCT bike to manual bike and back again?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'll assume there's people that own more just the DCT AT, and perhaps their other bike is manual shift. Have you noticed any difference in your riding when switching from a DCT bike to manual bike and back again?
I used to own a CB and a NC750XD and chose which bike to ride minutes before saddling up. In regards to this situation, no. I didn't have any of the "reaching for the clutch" issues while enjoying the NC750XD. However, a decade ago I did with other clutchless bikes.

Maybe there was one instance last year when on the CB I just dropped the clutch while stopped for no apparent reason. Of course the bike stalled, but I sat there and thought, hmmm, maybe the behaviour was related to riding DCT hours before.

If anything, I found the riding comfort and suspension difference a far more initial distraction then the controls.

= = =

I suspect that if you have never ridden a "left lever-less" bike before, you will mostly likely be "reaching" for a few weeks and well as "toeing" that non-existent gear shifter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sat on a DCT, did seem odd looking at the parking brake lever way out there, and no clutch lever in reach.

Those prices are IF you finance (which adds a 299 finance fee). If you pay cash, it's 700 more. That's a no bueno for me. I detest games. Next inline is a 2019 a couple hours away. I'd bought my first new bike at this place and there were no fees back then. They've since built a new building, so we will see.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Picking up a 2019 AT tomorrow from a dealer that doesn't play pricing games.
Should be a wonderful Saturday then. Ensure to share pics of the joyous day.

Note:

Recently here at the Forum it seems to be a habit to nap the AT upon taking delivery. This is not a necessary thing, a hazing or some other ritual/right of passage. Just savour the moments.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nap? As in dirt nap? Not if I have anything to say about it!😁

Buying in Oklahoma, so I'll get a nice 'get acquainted' ride in on way home, bout 100 miles

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey, enjoy the new bike! Welcome to the party!

I rode street bikes mostly for the the past 40 years or so; just sold off a Honda Valkyrie and replaced with a DCT AT. I think you will enjoy it.

Grew up riding in the dirt on your northern border along the Republican River. Can't imagine the mischief I would have gotten into with an AT back then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts