Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my name is Swen. I am born and raised in Germany, but 8 years ago I had the chance to move the USA and now I love living in Las Vegas and enjoy 300 sunshine days per year :)

This year on my birthday in September when my wife and I drove to dinner I just stopped by the local Honda Dealer. I couldn't belive my luck that they just got one Africa Twin in (manual transmission) which wasn't on their long pre-order list. Well, I couldn't say no to this brithday present :)

Beside my Africa Twin I own a CRF450r (started at my first desert race this year) and a Kawasaki Kx250 dirtbike, but I do not have enough time to ride them more often than 2-3 times per year. This was one of the main reason why I wanted to get the Africa Twin. With the dirtbikes it takes much more time to go riding. First I have to drive to my storage, load the bike on my truck, drive to the track and do a lot of maintenance work when I am back. With the Africa Twin I can explore this beautiful country together with my wife. For 2017 I would like to do trours like Moab, Grand Canyon, White Rim Trail, Sedona or maybe the Pacific Coast Highway in California with my bike.

For sure to do all this big trips I still need a lot of equipment for my bike (panniers, GPS, clothes....). For all this I love this forum here and decided now to get a bit more activ in this comunity :)

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome/Willkommen

Hi Swen!

Welcome to the family of AT owners.
Willkommen im Kreis der AT Besitzer.

I'll could be envious of your location and the fine weather you have most times of the year (when writting this post we actually have -7 ° centigrade here in Vienna:frown2:).

Have fun and a save riding.
Viel Spass und allzeit eine gute Fahrt.

Greetings, gerhard

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Swen, yes welcome to ATF. wow what luck finding a bike so soon.
I did the same, a friend saw one in a shop, I went the next day and placed a deposit, then I had to pay for it :(
Any way what I want to say is, first equipment get rid of those useless tires, there is lots of good suggestions depending on your use on this forum.
We are both lucky that we live in great weather area when it comes to riding, with so much good weather most year round, I read in this forum many have to store their bike for winter, I can not imagine not being able to ride for more than 2 weeks in a row. (sorry guys).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome times ahead for sure!

Hi Swen - Great story and bike... Like you, I happened upon my Africa Twin the same way just five days ago. I opted for the rally as well which, at 87 miles, I'm still learning the AT Mode features. Also like you I had a CRF 450r which I enjoyed riding in northern Nevada. We have Lake Tahoe 30 minutes away and some really great adventure riding in both California and Nevada. Contact me if your planning a ride in the area; happy to show you the local sites. Best and Happy New Years! Congrats to us both - yea...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Denburger - I and up to five others are planning a visit to tour southern Austria this March. Having never been to your fine country, we are not sure where to head out of Sydney after renting the adventure bikes. We are initially planning to ride south along the coast to Melbourne where we'll ferry the bikes to Tasmania. After touring the island we're thinking of returning via inland roads through Wagga Wagga (cool name) before turning east back to Sydney. Do you know of any sites which are a "must see" in that part of your county? Any suggestion and/or advice? We're planning on a 10-12 day bike trip. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Denburger - I and up to five others are planning a visit to tour southern Austria this March. Having never been to your fine country, we are not sure where to head out of Sydney after renting the adventure bikes. We are initially planning to ride south along the coast to Melbourne where we'll ferry the bikes to Tasmania. After touring the island we're thinking of returning via inland roads through Wagga Wagga (cool name) before turning east back to Sydney. Do you know of any sites which are a "must see" in that part of your county? Any suggestion and/or advice? We're planning on a 10-12 day bike trip. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.
Hi ddutra, Wow that sounds like a great ride your planing, but I personally have never riding in that area. I have been told by many that Tasmania is absolutely spectacular place to ride.
May I suggest that you start a Thread "Coming to Australia" and ask your questions there, I'm sure you will get lots of friendly suggestions. Enjoy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gerhard,
thank you ! But right now I am also in "ice cold Germany" for Christmas vaction to visit my family. Even in this colder weather I was crazy enough to rent a DCT Africa Twin to have some fun on this beautiful curvy roads. It was fun, but very cold for me. lol. I am sure your winter in Vienna can be very cold. Where I live sometimes you can't ride in the summer. 45 Celsius for a couple of weeks, is also not a real pleasure for a motorcycle without Aircondition :D

Denburger,
you are right that I was very lucky to get the bike so quickly. Best birthday ever :smile2: Changing the OEM tires was one of the first things I changed on the bike (Shink804/805) Well and I got the Atlas Throttle Lock for longer road trips. Australia sounds like an amazing palce to ride a bike like the Africa Twin !!!

ddutra,
congratulations! I am sure you will enjoy riding the bike a lot. It's nearly the perfect bike which can do it all. I love the Lake Tahoo area, but so far I have never been there with my Africa Twin. Sounds like a fun trip for the summer when Vegas is getting too hot ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
riding SE Austrailia

i just returned from riding that area for 3 weeks on a GS 1200, The Alpine National park is the place to be, with graded 4 wd tracks, water crossings, and several of the highest peaks on the continent. I used Mansfield as a loop base and rode that area for a week, lots of old gold mines, ghost towns, etc. Fuel is not available, so watch your km's closely. The ferry to Tasmania is not cheap, and is pre-booked weeks in advance for vehicles... Get a reservation asap and make it to the dock on time... The Murray River Valley is another great area.... Once in Sydney head West until your deep in the mountains and head south.... cannot miss... good luck down under!

J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts