Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm not an AT owner, but am looking into it.
My main concern is my height vs seat height, specially when riding with pillion.
I'm 5'57 (have no idea what my inseam is, though).

My first bike was a BMW F650GS ('01) which had a seat height of 750mm (vs AT's 825mm with lower seat).
I haven't tried an AT with a lower seat though (only with the regular - and didn't feel very confortable).

So, there you go, an introduction! :)

Cheers,
Nuno

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2,719 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Hight is an issue with the ATAS - the weight is VERY unforgiving, it is one of the best balanced bikes I’ve ever ridden and tracks beautifully down single tracks and ruts, but tip her to far off center and everyone is hard pressed to hold her upright flat footed or on your tiptoes. Hence around here we say she loves to “take naps” ... But she is what she is - a large class adventure bike and like all in that category the weight has its advantages and disadvantages...

Reactions: TN-Rider

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome.
Hight is an issue with the ATAS - the weight is VERY unforgiving, it is one of the best balanced bikes I’ve ever ridden and tracks beautifully down single tracks and ruts, but tip her to far off center and everyone is hard pressed to hold her upright flat footed or on your tiptoes. Hence around here we say she loves to “take naps” ... But she is what she is - a large class adventure bike and like all in that category the weight has its advantages and disadvantages...
Thank you.
I'm not thinking about an ATAS, just an AT. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
173 Posts
Hello Nuno, welcome. I understand completely about the seat height. I am 5’8” and an inseam of 32”. With good riding boots I am almost flat footed. Flat foot on my left foot and almost on my right. I am careful to keep the handlebars straight when I stop. It is an issue if they are turned to one side too much. Being aware of the side stand position and where the front end is will keep these beasts upright when stopped. Now when riding off road or on mud, I cannot add anything to that for so far I am avoiding mud or slick surfaces. I usually ride alone, so help getting it back upright will be a challenge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Nuno, welcome. I understand completely about the seat height. I am 5’8” and an inseam of 32”. With good riding boots I am almost flat footed. Flat foot on my left foot and almost on my right. I am careful to keep the handlebars straight when I stop. It is an issue if they are turned to one side too much. Being aware of the side stand position and where the front end is will keep these beasts upright when stopped. Now when riding off road or on mud, I cannot add anything to that for so far I am avoiding mud or slick surfaces. I usually ride alone, so help getting it back upright will be a challenge.
Thank you for your reply!
I'll be riding mostly on a daily basis on tarmac (commute) so using riding boots is not an option for me... I must be able to use shoes or sneakers... :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts