Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

New guy here from the UP of Michigan. I don’t have an AT yet, but I went for a ride yesterday to scope out a leftover 2018 ATAS at a dealership, strongly considering it. I was going to wait for the 2020s to come out but the price on this is a few grand less than a base model so I’m leaning towards this one. The couple of grand savings will leave me some room to do suspension work (I am 6’ 4”, currently 350 pounds, coming down from a peak of 520 pounds a couple of years ago and steadily working my way towards 280ish). I plan to use the bike for commuting as well as cruising the area on the weekends and maybe a couple of longer weeklong trips across a few states.

My last few bikes were a KLR 650, a dual sported XR 400, and a KLR 250.

Looking forward to the next adventure!

Brian

·
Registered
367 Posts
Excellent Milje, and welcome to the Forum. At 6' 4" I am sure you will find value in the AT. The 2020 AT ASES adds even a few more inches to the available seat height, so something maybe to evaluate. Happy trails in your search and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi and welcome from a troll (south Detroit area).

For all of you out of the know... ANYONE in Michigan who lives “under” the bridge (lower Mich.)is a troll :-D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Among one of the great things about our state, the ability to point to a part of our hand to reference a place in Michigan..:nerd: :grin2:
Absolutely, not to mention the variety of riding here! Thanks for the welcome guys! I think I’m going to call the bank this week and see what they can do for financing. If all goes well I just may have a bike in the garage this weekend or next :grin2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys

New guy here from the UP of Michigan. I don’t have an AT yet, but I went for a ride yesterday to scope out a leftover 2018 ATAS at a dealership, strongly considering it. I was going to wait for the 2020s to come out but the price on this is a few grand less than a base model so I’m leaning towards this one. The couple of grand savings will leave me some room to do suspension work (I am 6’ 4”, currently 350 pounds, coming down from a peak of 520 pounds a couple of years ago and steadily working my way towards 280ish). I plan to use the bike for commuting as well as cruising the area on the weekends and maybe a couple of longer weeklong trips across a few states.

My last few bikes were a KLR 650, a dual sported XR 400, and a KLR 250.

Looking forward to the next adventure!

Brian

Hi Brian - I was going to wait for a 2020 too. However, I felt the price difference was to much to justify. Especially after I rode a 2019 model and loved it. My point is you would not be alone if you saved a few bucks and still got a great motorcycle. Good luck! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a ride to the dealer today, the bike now has a sold tag on it and they are pulling it off the floor. Now I just need to wait for the bank, they said hopefully Monday they’ll have everything wrapped up.

Now to get a hold of Konflict to talk about the suspension.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Took a ride to the dealer today, the bike now has a sold tag on it and they are pulling it off the floor. Now I just need to wait for the bank, they said hopefully Monday they’ll have everything wrapped up.

Now to get a hold of Konflict to talk about the suspension.
Hopefully everything works out and you take delivery next week!

My wife's family has a cabin in Brimley. We haven't been up there since a 2015 ride out. I think we are about due for another visit :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome from the end of the right hand (lower hand) thumb in that picture of Michigan. (Sarnia, Ontario, Canada)

I just got my 2020 AT AS DCT and love it. I am sure you will be happy with the 2018. Especially for your size. Congratulations on moving from 520 to 380. That takes a lot of hard work. Well done!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome from the end of the right hand (lower hand) thumb in that picture of Michigan. (Sarnia, Ontario, Canada)

I just got my 2020 AT AS DCT and love it. I am sure you will be happy with the 2018. Especially for your size. Congratulations on moving from 520 to 380. That takes a lot of hard work. Well done!
Thanks! I’ve been hitting the diet and gym hard these last couple of weeks and have dropped another 18 pounds since my original post, sitting at 362 right now :grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts