Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much contemplating, I finally decided to trade in my trusty v-strom for a beautiful tri-color AT. Put 600 miles on it in the first weekend and I am loving it. Yea, there's a few things that I knew right off the bat would need addressing. Better windscreen, pegs, handguards, tires, 12v accessory outlet, etc.
However, I've been having a string of issues/bad luck.

First off, I have an engine oil leak. It's not a lot, only a drop or two here and there, but still it needs to be fixed. It's tough to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from because as I'm traveling at speed it just kind of gets spread about. It appears it may be coming from behind the front sprocket cover. And my fear is that it may be from a bent countershaft caused by the dealer setting the chain as taut as a fiddle string. I mean zero slack. And of course, it's not easy to pull the sprocket cover off, as the gear shifter lever is in the way. Easy enough to remove... except, I had immediately fitted the SW Motech crash bars and there is not enough clearance to remove the shifter lever. So, i need to remove the crash bars first.

This leads to my second disappointment: the Sw Motech crash bars make the bike vibrate like an out-of-tuned Harley. They're also slightly offset, meaning the gap between them and the fairing is bigger on one side of the bike than on the other. Yes, installation was done properly.

Next, I bought some Barkbuster handguards designed specifically for the AT. After spending nearly an hour trying to get the darn things to fit I finally gave up, convinced that there was no way they could ever work. Double checked the package - yep, correct bike fitment. Then spent another hour on the 'net seeing if anyone else had fitment issues. Nope. Others say they fit perfect. Then I looked more closely at some pictures. Ahah! Somethings wrong here. I emailed a picture to Barkbusters and they confirmed my package had the wrong backbones in it.

Lastly, I ordered a center stand on the day I purchased the bike, and that has been delayed in transport now for several days.

On the plus side, I successfully installed the 12v accessory plug and now know how to remove the whole front fairing work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Am just curious,... did you ever get the "oil leak" figured out? What was the culprit?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts