Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just confirmed the purchase of a new 2017 DCT.... Can't pick up until 6/14 but I am like a 54yr old toddler on a sugar HIGH :smile2:
I am 165lb, 5'-9, how soon am I going to want to get the shocks up graded? I hope to spend some time learning the bike. I have a practice area on my property now, small gravel pit and track through the sage brush. Selling my 2004 XR400 and CB500X, all in on the AT! I've had 3 Goldwings over the years and numerous dirt bikes so I hope I pick up on the ADV riding quick. (I am NOT a racer, just love to ride and explore.)
Enough for now, stocked to meet new people and do some trips. :grin2:

PS.. Topaz Ranch south of Reno Nevada.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to the new owners club! I felt, and still feel, the same way about mine. Congrats! What color did you get?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm 170# and don't carry a passenger.
The suspension gets a workout off-road with loaded panniers and top box, but I found it had enough adjustment to make it function well enough. It's on the soft side but I just crank up the preload a bunch on the rear shock and add some compression dampening on the forks when loaded.
Unloaded with rider only, it works fine for me at close to stock settings on and off-road.
I think at your weight, you may be pleasantly surprised.
I'd spend the money on a seat upgrade before suspension, but that's me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome ronbo you’re going to love the AT , I have a 2016 manual and it’s the best. Just rode thru your domain & wow fantastic places to ride. Part of my ride was off hwy 167 mono lake into Bodie then Masonic rd to risue , into lake topaz awesome country. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome ronbo you’re going to love the AT , I have a 2016 manual and it’s the best. Just rode thru your domain & wow fantastic places to ride. Part of my ride was off hwy 167 mono lake into Bodie then Masonic rd to risue , into lake topaz awesome country. Enjoy the new ride.
Hay Desert rider, I can see Risue rd from my back door, I camp up in that area. Yes, great riding around me, can't wait to explore more on the AT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 170# and don't carry a passenger.
The suspension gets a workout off-road with loaded panniers and top box, but I found it had enough adjustment to make it function well enough. It's on the soft side but I just crank up the preload a bunch on the rear shock and add some compression dampening on the forks when loaded.
Unloaded with rider only, it works fine for me at close to stock settings on and off-road.
I think at your weight, you may be pleasantly surprised.
I'd spend the money on a seat upgrade before suspension, but that's me.
doctord23, thanks for the info. I'm going to keep the stock suspension until I am riding hard enough for it to be a problem, may never happen...LOL I just don't ride that hard so we will see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts