Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I live in Canada, specifically Labrador. I previously owned a 1200 GS and while it was a great bike, the AT seems like a bike more suited to my riding. I haven't had a bike in a couple years and am super excited to pick up my new bike.
I am seriously conflicted by the choice of manual and DCT. I haven't pulled the trigger on the bike yet because of this question. For those with DCT, if you have any input I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Shannon. I have a 17 DCT. There are a few things to consider. If you are going to be doing a lot of city driving, the DCT is a gem. Also pretty good in the paved twisties. There are 3 modes in the "S" (Sport) setting, and setting 2 or 3 works good when flogging the bike off road or around curves. Keeps it from up shifting too soon. However, be aware it adds something like 20-25 lbs to the weight. I sometimes miss a manual (been riding for almost 50 years), but the instances are rare. First gear on the AT is not low enough in my opinion for slow jeep trailing, but that is probably an issue with both manual and DCT. I thought about putting a smaller front sprocket, or larger rear on it, but that would raise the RPMs in 6th on the highway.
Also, with the DCT, you can use the manual mode and keep it in the gear you want for as long as you want. The one thing you can't do with a DCT is feather the clutch, and that is a useful feature of the manual. Other than that, the DCT is wonderful. Make sure to budget a good bash plate and crash bars. Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the manual and I love it. very happy with its on and offroad manners. I only wish the suspension was sprung a little heavier and valved more appropriately.

only additions are a B&B rear rack, bashplate and radiator guards. also SW-Motech crashbars. Might do some
better handguards and suspension upgrade in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Every since the AT was announced I had been interested and contemplated buying a new one with the manual transmission however I also had a 2014 BMW GSA so they'd duplicate to a great extent. Then last Summer I stumbled on a lightly used (385 miles) 2016 Africa Twin DCT at a Honda dealer. Long story short the price we ended up at was low enough for me to buy it in spite of it having the dual clutch transmission.

After riding it for a couple days I came to really like the bike and the DCT. After playing with it both in auto and the four different full manual modes I've settled on leaving it in auto Sport 1 for 95% of my riding. It may occasionally NOT up shift or DOWN shift when I would with a manual transmission but most of the time it's just about spot on. Plus while in any of the auto modes you can still nudge up or down to the next gear while it still stays in auto. Best of both.

Yes the DCT is 25 pounds heavier but the weight is down low and centered between the axles, probably less noticeable than having a 10# pack strapped to a luggage carrier.

I love this bike and were it to stolen, wrecked, etc., I'd immediately replace it with a new Africa Twin DCT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts