Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m Marc and finally brought an ATL2 DCT. I live in the south of England and currently try to find dry days without winter salt on the roads. I have loved the bike since it’s release in 2016. I am glad I had to wait before buying as the adventure sports was more suited for my needs. The only addition I have made is the fork plate to reduce wind buffeting, this also stops stones and grit from landing on the tanks between my legs and the tank which can ruin the paint. I would be interested in any modifications you think I should be aware of or consider. Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
Whew…

Welcome Marc! But where to start?!

The subforums are dedicated to the ways we mod our bikes; it can become an all-consuming affair if you're not careful.

What works for one, doesn’t necessarily appeal to another. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But generally speaking, I think the first mods most new Adventure Bike owners focus on, beyond the inexpensive quickies, like smartphone/ GPS holders, is protection and rear storage. At least, those are the big ones.

If you are planning on taking the bike off-road, engine protection is a must. And depending on how active you’ll be off-road, uppers will help too (protect the fairing). You’ll find good reviews and discussion on just about every option out there for the Africa Twin, here, on the forums.

Personally, I like my setup with Lower Engine Protection Bars from Hepco & Becker (seamlessly beautiful, well-designed and strong and effective as hẹll) and stuffed H&B’s Bar Bags to supplement the OEM uppers—probably not as robust overall as a full set of Uppers and Lowers from OM, AltRider, Touratech, Heed, etc., but then again, not as cluttered and overwhelming as some of them. And when I take the bar bags off, the bike still looks nearly stock with the Hepco & Becker lowers barely noticeable.

But then, I love the way the ATAS looks stock and everything I’ve done is in keeping with that as much as reasonably possible.

Next up: Rear storage - panniers or soft bags and the rack to support them. Maybe a top case.

Good Handlebar Protection (again, if you’re planning on off-roading).

Are you tall? Will you want handlebar risers?

You’ll want a phone and/or GPS mount.

You’ve got the Forkshield. If that takes care of all the highway-speed wind buffeting, you’re in good shape, else, you might want to go with an aftermarket windscreen. (All my (often severe) buffeting issues were completely resolved with the Givi Tall Sport Touring Screen and, to a lesser degree (for me personally, but well worth it) the Swegotech Forkshield).

And again, if you’re planning on off-roading, yet more protection: radiator guards, headlamp guard, etc. And if you plan on going anywhere wet or muddy, more aggressive tires.

Moving on, there’s:
Fog lamps?
Bigger foot pegs?
A center stand?
A louder horn?

The list goes on and on.

But customizing your bike is one of the joys of Adventure Bike ownership. It’s a never-ending process and will keep you busy and entertained for months or years.

But don’t forget too—some of the basic bike settings to deal with before you take off on any long rides, the big one being Rear Sag and adjusting your preload for proper sag (aiming for about 30%). Depends on your weight, geared up, and any additional weight added with panns and bars, etc.). You can do a search for discussions on that. It does make a difference in handling and the way the bike feels. It’s the first step in any suspension setting modifications. Once you’ve got that set, you can, if needs be, move on to compression and damping and to the front end, but I’ve found the ATAS to be pretty close to spot on without making any changes there yet.

Just my two cents. Have fun don’t forget to use the search feature on the forums. There is so much good information here and a great group of generous Africa Twin enthusiasts.

Ride safe, Gary

Reactions: VaraderoTwin

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi I’m Marc and finally brought an ATL2 DCT. I live in the south of England and currently try to find dry days without winter salt on the roads. I have loved the bike since it’s release in 2016. I am glad I had to wait before buying as the adventure sports was more suited for my needs. The only addition I have made is the fork plate to reduce wind buffeting, this also stops stones and grit from landing on the tanks between my legs and the tank which can ruin the paint. I would be interested in any modifications you think I should be aware of or consider. Thanks
Welcome Marc. There are a few of us in south of England, around London, Kent, Surrey. Might try some group rides when the weather gets better

Gary, pretty comprehensive post there! Since you're my height and assuming similar weight, around 90-100kg with gear, what setting do you have yours on? I put it to 0 and then turned what I think is 15 "clicks". I don't mind it a bit soft for commuting so I don't feel the bumps but interested to hear what others have done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts