Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a silly question but I have managed to lose my owners manual, how does the Helmet lock work on the AT?

I knows its the wire thing under the seat but I dont know how to use it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You thread the wire through the buckle of your helmet then bring the two ends of the wire together. The two loops are now side by side. With the seat up, place the helmet on the left side of the bike and near the petrol tank is an erect piece of wire/metal that the loops of wire hook over. The seat is then placed back and locked, in the process the wire is locked into place.

I hope this makes sense?????

Cheers

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're having trouble working that out please please don't attempt any maintenance on the bike.

·
Registered
898 Posts
To be honest, when I saw the same thing on my Varadero, I had no idea what that wire was under the seat. Many other bikes have an actual keyed lock system on the frame of the bike. So, it's easy to miss the functionality of a simple thing like a helmet lock wire (or whatever it's called).
:nerd:
If you're having trouble working that out please please don't attempt any maintenance on the bike.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Honda stopped using those locks at least by 1997 on my first Africa twin, prior to that they usually had a different key (annoying) and always siezed up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would me doing maintenance be a problem? I have never used one of those helmet locks before and without the manual it wasn't completely clear how it worked.

I have already done a fair bit on my AT including dismantling the front end, lowering the suspension and installing a centre stand and GPS. (I also maintain 3 cars a ride on mower a strimmer and a rotorvator, in addition I used to maintain an aircraft) so far none have gone wrong?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think wytco0 might have thought, as did I, that there was something a little more mysterious and complicated about it other than a bit of wire that you dangle out the side

:D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I haven't got an AT yet so this may sound a dumb question but does the seat easily flip up or off to allow you to fit the wire to the peg?
And here's a tip from me using the wire loop thing on the NC750X. If you put one loop through the helmet strap then through the other loop in the wire, it gives you a lot more to play with. I am able to park my helmet neatly on top of the seat and I use a small luggage elastic fastened to the other side of the strap to keep it in position if it looks like rain. Otherwise it's just a bucket hanging on the side of your bike.
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't got an AT yet so this may sound a dumb question but does the seat easily flip up or off to allow you to fit the wire to the peg?
And here's a tip from me using the wire loop thing on the NC750X. If you put one loop through the helmet strap then through the other loop in the wire, it gives you a lot more to play with. I am able to park my helmet neatly on top of the seat and I use a small luggage elastic fastened to the other side of the strap to keep it in position if it looks like rain. Otherwise it's just a bucket hanging on the side of your bike.
Mike

Simple tips like this make me happy.
Thanks
Gar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In the six months I have owned my AT I have used the helmet lock twice. That was enough for me to get a top box for the helmet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts