Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m riding my AT every day now and for what I’m doing, commuting and a lot of errands, the stupid cable thing under the seat just isn’t going to work.

What are those of you who commute and do a lot of start/stopping using?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wear a Nolan N-102 which does not have D rings on the strap. I normally put it in the top box or carry it with me. A longer plastic covered aircraft cable with loops on both ends and some type of lock may work. The cable can be looped through the visor opening. The longer cable doesn't prevent the helmet from falling off the bike unfortunately. Helmet use is mandatory here so damaging or losing your lid is not an option.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The top box is used for daily routine. Tours might get the cable + padlock treatment to the passenger seat.

And then mentioned in the Forum there is MirrorLok:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Top case when commuting to work. When I go on tours on the ground beside the side stand. I've never locked up my helmet on any bike that I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
In the past, I have used the helmet locks that go through the D-Ring and have also used the T type that works for Nolan, Shuberth and other quick release types ....

My wife and I also have a couple of the Pac Safe "Lid Safe" bags, but we never use them.

But now I mostly just use a combination lock cable that I run through the helmet and over the chain guard.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
I have and use Z LOK COMBO works pretty good. Just a big locking zip tie with a metal core, they make one with a key and one combination, I got the combo one , you can set your own combo with it, I didn’t want or need to cary any more keys with me .. Of course it (like all locks) is just a deterrent and could be cut with right tools . But it works and curls out against the walls of my top box and takes up no room at all storing it there. Also I might add, in a pinch, tapping someone up side their head with the combo end would enlighten them in the errors of their ways...
I just set my helmet on my back seat and run the tie over the chin bar then through the rear grab bar and lock, quick and easy..

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the cable that came with the bike and a small padlock. I just set the helmet on mirror and lock it to the barkbuster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just started looking for locks myself and saw this one that mounts on the passenger pegs....
s-l1600 (4).jpg

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hard imagine somebody stealing a helmet, unless it was a very high-end model.

In general, who wants a helmet with a liner waxed-up with past sweat proteins and smelling like a used hockey jockstrap?

The other thought is those people are punks creating an inconvenience for riders.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts

In general, who wants a helmet with a liner waxed-up with past sweat proteins and smelling like a used hockey jockstrap?

The other thought is those people are punks creating an inconvenience for riders.
Well, unfortunately with the high-end helmets, all those liners come out so that you can wash and/or replace them. For some folks, a little helmet fresh or Motorex Helmet Care and a new set of liners may be worth it to them for an expensive lid.

That said, I have only had one incident where I suspect someone tried to grab mine.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Everybody is honest until they see something that's just lying around loose, then everything their mama taught them flies out of their head like a moth. And the jerks who would toss something into the canal will always be with us. I always secure my helmet with at least a cable lock when I'm out and about.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You would think so. A few acquaintances over the years have used a cable lock through the helmet's d-rings and returned to their bike to find the helmet gone and the severed straps still attached to the cable. I don't think it is possible to replace helmet straps so I would assume malicious vandalism but maybe someone felt they needed a new adornment for their coffee table at home. Or it could be a setup for theft figuring the rider will leave the bike until they can return with a good helmet.

·
Super Moderator
969 Posts
You would think so. A few acquaintances over the years have used a cable lock through the helmet's d-rings and returned to their bike to find the helmet gone and the severed straps still attached to the cable. I don't think it is possible to replace helmet straps so I would assume malicious vandalism but maybe someone felt they needed a new adornment for their coffee table at home. Or it could be a setup for theft figuring the rider will leave the bike until they can return with a good helmet.
Possible they steal and wear one for helmet law requirements in areas that have laws requiring one to be worn. Slim chance LE would notice the strap missing, unless they inspect it after pulling you over.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That would be low indeed. Punks, or worse.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts