Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. My Scorpion AT950 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I was looking at re-lining it and getting new visors, but when I added up the price, I started reflecting on why I'm not entirely happy with it. Do I really want to spend the money on it.

First, it's noisy. I know this is a popular complaint in modular, second, it's chincy. It has rattles and cheap plastic sounds coming from its hollows.

I don't hate it. It actually transformed what I actually want in a helmet... being the first one I've had that is modular and has a built in sun visor. These 2 features are absolutely a must for me now.

So what are you guys using? When is a good time to buy? There's some killer deals out there... The schuberth e1 looks awesome, but size availability looks difficult. What are some other options? Price isn't going to be a big decider for me. I shop for value and prefer to get things that I like and will keep a long time. Helmets were not something I've ever researched much..in the past, I've bought from dealers where I could try a few on, haggle a deal, and buy in person.

So I definitely would love some input from you fine folks.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
I also enjoy modular with built-in sun visor. I have Nolan and HJC. They work. Both are noisy at freeway speeds, but tolerable with earplugs. I prefer the HJC over the Nolan.

I like Arai the most, but they don't offer modular with sun visor. I would consider the XD-4 as my next choice, but it is a few steps away from the said features. In return, of course, is top-shelf fit, finish, quietness, and safety. Price is also upper-middle tier, but if that is not a factor then it comes down to features. Many owners seem to enjoy the XD-4. I own Arai and it is the best helmet brand that I have consumed.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also enjoy modular with built-in sun visor. I have Nolan and HJC. They work. Both are noisy at freeway speeds, but tolerable with earplugs. I prefer the HJC over the Nolan.

I like Arai the most, but they don't offer modular with sun visor. I would consider the XD-4 as my next choice, but it is a few steps away from the said features. In return, of course, is top-shelf fit, finish, quietness, and safety. Price is also upper-middle tier, but if that is not a factor then it comes down to features. Many owners seem to enjoy the XD-4. I own Arai and it is the best helmet brand that I have consumed.
Great stuff DT. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. It's been a bit of a rabbit hole for me and I got pretty overwhelmed. My dealer was pushing an ls2 valiant on me, but didn't have my size. I loved the features... chin bar flipping all the way over to the back, but vainly didn't like its looks, and worry about its "cheapness". The nolan n70- 2x looked interesting. I'll investigate your other suggestions. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've tried several top end helmets. Top pic for me for "quiet" is the Schuberth C3 modular. There's several other models but Schuberth is supposedly the quietest on the market. Downside is that you have to lift the chin piece to get the helmet on/off. Probably why it's so quiet. I have a Shoei GT Air that is almost as quiet, not a modular, but fits my egghead more comfortably. I've had a couple Arai helmets and they were comfortable, lasted quite a while, but not steller in the 'quiet' category. I have a cabinet full of "also mentioned" types too.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Great stuff DT. This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. It's been a bit of a rabbit hole for me and I got pretty overwhelmed. My dealer was pushing an ls2 valiant on me, but didn't have my size. I loved the features... chin bar flipping all the way over to the back, but vainly didn't like its looks, and worry about its "cheapness". The nolan n70- 2x looked interesting. I'll investigate your other suggestions. Thanks so much.
I'v just bought the Nolan N70-2X. Been using Nolan N40's for a while and they are similar modular helmets so I know a lot about these and a bit about my latest purchase.
Here are my thoughts:
Although the Nolans are less than half the price of Schuberths, the quality of the fixtures and fittings is just the same (I have two Schuberths also).
The internal sun visors on the Nolans are excellent (also on the Schuberths), but I wouldn't have an Arai because they don't include them. ..... However talk on the trip out a couple of days ago is that arai don't put them in because it makes the outer shell too big, and certainly the Nolans are a big shell and some of them make you look like you are from Area 51. (Medium and below in Nolans use a smaller shell size than for their larger sizes).
Nolan visors fit !!! No leaks on any Nolan helmet so far. Both the Scuberths leak inside the visor after a while in heavy rain.
The Nolans have a huge field of view. Sometimes I have had to check the visor was actually fitted :unsure:
The clip-in jaw piece on the N40 helmets was an easy fit. on the N70 it's troublesome to click into place but it is bigger and more sophisticated - better venting. It also has a way of firmly closing the visor which the N40 doesnt have. But I have never noticed a problem with the N40 where it would have needed a 'visor lock'
The peaks are what converted me to using these kinds of helmet. Apart from keeping a strip of the visor completely muck free in the worst of a UK winter, the peak also cuts out a bright sky. Until you have experienced how relaxing this can be you won't understand what I'm talking about. The N40 does this much better than the N70 because it can be lowered further (and it has more light protection from the side). But on the N40 the peak is less rigid and this means you will probably get peak vibration or judder with the AT screen. It's fine with the N70.
The N70 helmet is quieter - which is surprising because it has more sticky-out bits. I think they have done a better job of preventing noise coming up from the neck. Doesn't really bother me as I wear earplugs.
Venting on both models is OK. About the same as my Schuberths. Problem is if like me you have got the AT screen working properly you don't get enough airflow to get good ventilation in the helmets.
Finally and this is the big clincher for me - both helmets take Nolan's N-com intercom system. I bought the B601R - the less expensive version, but it's brilliant for listening to music and my satnav. It will connect to any other intercom system out there (rider to rider I mean). And Nolan have included a brilliant mic that sits very much at the side of my mouth yet people who telephone me while I am on the bike cannot believe I'm actually doing 70mph whilst talking to them - they say it sounds like I'm sitting at a desk. I should say that the N-com system is integrated into the helmet - proper channels for the cabling, the speakers exactly fit the cutouts, there's a retaining clip for the mic, and most importantly the battery fits in a special compartment inside the shell of the helmet meaning it can be high capacity AND the control unit can be ultra slim on the side of the helmet. Takes about 30 or 40 minutes to fit an N-com system into the helmet yourself)
Fire away if I haven't covered questions you'd like answering about the Nolans.
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'v just bought the Nolan N70-2X. Been using Nolan N40's for a while and they are similar modular helmets so I know a lot about these and a bit about my latest purchase.
Here are my thoughts:
Although the Nolans are less than half the price of Schuberths, the quality of the fixtures and fittings is just the same (I have two Schuberths also).
The internal sun visors on the Nolans are excellent (also on the Schuberths), but I wouldn't have an Arai because they don't include them. ..... However talk on the trip out a couple of days ago is that arai don't put them in because it makes the outer shell too big, and certainly the Nolans are a big shell and some of them make you look like you are from Area 51. (Medium and below in Nolans use a smaller shell size than for their larger sizes).
Nolan visors fit !!! No leaks on any Nolan helmet so far. Both the Scuberths leak inside the visor after a while in heavy rain.
The Nolans have a huge field of view. Sometimes I have had to check the visor was actually fitted :unsure:
The clip-in jaw piece on the N40 helmets was an easy fit. on the N70 it's troublesome to click into place but it is bigger and more sophisticated - better venting. It also has a way of firmly closing the visor which the N40 doesnt have. But I have never noticed a problem with the N40 where it would have needed a 'visor lock'
The peaks are what converted me to using these kinds of helmet. Apart from keeping a strip of the visor completely muck free in the worst of a UK winter, the peak also cuts out a bright sky. Until you have experienced how relaxing this can be you won't understand what I'm talking about. The N40 does this much better than the N70 because it can be lowered further (and it has more light protection from the side). But on the N40 the peak is less rigid and this means you will probably get peak vibration or judder with the AT screen. It's fine with the N70.
The N70 helmet is quieter - which is surprising because it has more sticky-out bits. I think they have done a better job of preventing noise coming up from the neck. Doesn't really bother me as I wear earplugs.
Venting on both models is OK. About the same as my Schuberths. Problem is if like me you have got the AT screen working properly you don't get enough airflow to get good ventilation in the helmets.
Finally and this is the big clincher for me - both helmets take Nolan's N-com intercom system. I bought the B601R - the less expensive version, but it's brilliant for listening to music and my satnav. It will connect to any other intercom system out there (rider to rider I mean). And Nolan have included a brilliant mic that sits very much at the side of my mouth yet people who telephone me while I am on the bike cannot believe I'm actually doing 70mph whilst talking to them - they say it sounds like I'm sitting at a desk. I should say that the N-com system is integrated into the helmet - proper channels for the cabling, the speakers exactly fit the cutouts, there's a retaining clip for the mic, and most importantly the battery fits in a special compartment inside the shell of the helmet meaning it can be high capacity AND the control unit can be ultra slim on the side of the helmet. Takes about 30 or 40 minutes to fit an N-com system into the helmet yourself)
Fire away if I haven't covered questions you'd like answering about the Nolans.
Mike
Oh man, what a great post, thank you. I think you've single-handedly convinced me to narrow my focus on nolan. Makes life so much easier! I'll do a little digging and I'm sure I will come up with some questions.

I think I remember reading the Nolans run small? On my AT950, the large fit until I put the chin bar down. It was too tight at the cheeks so I got the xl. The xl is listed at 61-62. I wonder if that correlates to choosing a 62 on the Nolan?

Thanks so much @mike5100. That was so incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey fellas. My Scorpion AT950 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I was looking at re-lining it and getting new visors, but when I added up the price, I started reflecting on why I'm not entirely happy with it. Do I really want to spend the money on it.

First, it's noisy. I know this is a popular complaint in modular, second, it's chincy. It has rattles and cheap plastic sounds coming from its hollows.

I don't hate it. It actually transformed what I actually want in a helmet... being the first one I've had that is modular and has a built in sun visor. These 2 features are absolutely a must for me now.

So what are you guys using? When is a good time to buy? There's some killer deals out there... The schuberth e1 looks awesome, but size availability looks difficult. What are some other options? Price isn't going to be a big decider for me. I shop for value and prefer to get things that I like and will keep a long time. Helmets were not something I've ever researched much..in the past, I've bought from dealers where I could try a few on, haggle a deal, and buy in person.

So I definitely would love some input from you fine folks.
I am currently using a Nolan N-102. I find I need to flip the chin bar up before putting the helmet on or taking it off. Otherwise my glasses get in the way. I haven't broken a pair of eye glasses since wearing a modular helmet. Once on, the visor has the best field of view of any helmet I have worn so far. The 102 only requires one hand to release and lift the chin bar. The release can be operated with left or right hand. It has an internal sun visor which can be operated with one hand while riding. Padding is removable and washable. Price is mid range and quality is good. It will fit in the ATAS OEM left pannier but it is a tight fit for width. I keep mine in the 52L Givi Maxia top box. It won't fit in the storage compartment on an early NC-700. The compartment opening width was just a few mm too small. Honda claims the NC-750 doesn't have that issue but I haven't tried putting it in one of the newer bikes. As far as noise, it hasn't been bad. I found it a bit noisier on the ATAS than it was on my V-Strom. The wind noise decreased substantially when I installed the OEM panniers on the Honda. That was unpexpected but greatly appreciated. Around town I often don't wear ear plugs. On the highway I usually do. So far the Nolan is the best fit for my head. I like it enough that I will probably look at the N100-5 in the near future when replacing my current helmet.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I thought everyone flipped the chin bar (or removed it) before putting on or taking off their helmets, but on Saturday another guy had one of the fluorescent yellow N70-X2 helmets and he says he never removes the chin guard - I think he doesn't know what he's missing, because it was great on hot summer days to use it in open face format.
I'm a 57-58 cm headsize and the Nolan medium is a perfect fit for me. But apparently it's about head shape as well. My head must be Italian shaped.
Come back on here Amphib if you decide to buy the Nolan N70 or N40 as there are a couple of tips I can add (but don't want to bore everyone.
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought everyone flipped the chin bar (or removed it) before putting on or taking off their helmets, but on Saturday another guy had one of the fluorescent yellow N70-X2 helmets and he says he never removes the chin guard - I think he doesn't know what he's missing, because it was great on hot summer days to use it in open face format.
I'm a 57-58 cm headsize and the Nolan medium is a perfect fit for me. But apparently it's about head shape as well. My head must be Italian shaped.
Come back on here Amphib if you decide to buy the Nolan N70 or N40 as there are a couple of tips I can add (but don't want to bore everyone.
Mike

I'm about 99% on getting the N70. Yeah, I flip open the chin bar when putting a helmet on or taking it off. My head is pretty round but bigger cheeks I guess, also a big bushy beard.

I was just looking at both the N70 and N40..... I think I'd prefer to have the chin bar, but can see getting the 40 eventually as a maybe a warmer weather helmet. I may just purchase this through revzilla since they're so good and easy about returns.... If I have any trouble with sizing.

I again appreciate your help and would love to hear anything else you might be able to add.

Matthew

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm about 99% on getting the N70. Yeah, I flip open the chin bar when putting a helmet on or taking it off. My head is pretty round but bigger cheeks I guess, also a big bushy beard.

I was just looking at both the N70 and N40..... I think I'd prefer to have the chin bar, but can see getting the 40 eventually as a maybe a warmer weather helmet. I may just purchase this through revzilla since they're so good and easy about returns.... If I have any trouble with sizing.

I again appreciate your help and would love to hear anything else you might be able to add.

Matthew
The N40 comes in several versions. I think the N40-Full or the N40-5 GT are the ones that come with peak and chinguard so that you can run it in any of about 8 configurations (also true of the N70-2X). It takes about 2 seconds to remove or fit the chinguards, and about 30 seconds to remove the peaks
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The N40 comes in several versions. I think the N40-Full or the N40-5 GT are the ones that come with peak and chinguard so that you can run it in any of about 8 configurations (also true of the N70-2X). It takes about 2 seconds to remove or fit the chinguards, and about 30 seconds to remove the peaks
Mike
Thanks for clarifying that. I see it now. I get the impression that you prefer the n40? I'd really like to try and keep the peak on. My AT950s peak was extremely flexible and was unbearable to ride with over 45mph. After my first ride with it, I took it off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I recently bought a Nolan N70-2X. It is very comfortable. It has a removeable chin guard but is not modular with a swing up guard. It is very easy to remove however with a simple push of two buttons. I ordered one from Europe as they do not sell the same Honda Africa Twin color here in the US. Here it is:

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
I have the Nolan N103 ...
  • Appears to fit round heads with flat faces.
  • If your face is not flat, you will be kissing the inside of the mouth guard and tasting last week's ride juices.
  • It is modular. The mechanism works well.
  • It has a sliding visor. It works well.
  • Padding is removable for washing.
  • The helmet is generally well made, but with use the seals started to strip and had to be re-glued in place.
  • It is a heavy helmet.
  • It is a noisy helmet on the freeway.
  • Chin strap is the quick-use ratchet style mechanism.
  • It is okay for winter riding at -25C.
  • It can be hot for summer riding over +25C.
  • It has the N-Com feature option, but I preferred to use the Cardo Freecom 2+ instead.
  • Helmet came with nose air deflector and chin curtain (both removable).

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
I am currently using a Nolan N-102. I find I need to flip the chin bar up before putting the helmet on or taking it off. Otherwise my glasses get in the way. I haven't broken a pair of eye glasses since wearing a modular helmet. Once on, the visor has the best field of view of any helmet I have worn so far. The 102 only requires one hand to release and lift the chin bar. The release can be operated with left or right hand. It has an internal sun visor which can be operated with one hand while riding. Padding is removable and washable. Price is mid range and quality is good. It will fit in the ATAS OEM left pannier but it is a tight fit for width. I keep mine in the 52L Givi Maxia top box. It won't fit in the storage compartment on an early NC-700. The compartment opening width was just a few mm too small. Honda claims the NC-750 doesn't have that issue but I haven't tried putting it in one of the newer bikes. As far as noise, it hasn't been bad. I found it a bit noisier on the ATAS than it was on my V-Strom. The wind noise decreased substantially when I installed the OEM panniers on the Honda. That was unpexpected but greatly appreciated. Around town I often don't wear ear plugs. On the highway I usually do. So far the Nolan is the best fit for my head. I like it enough that I will probably look at the N100-5 in the near future when replacing my current helmet.
The Nolan N103 does fit in the upfront 2018 Honda NC750X storage compartment.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Both the N40 and the N70-2X fit in the standard OEM top box but then they should do as usually I have taken off the chin guard.
Yes I prefer the peak on the N40 Nolans but only because it cuts out more light. The N70 peak LOOKS a lot better (more adventure rider) and it's more rigid. It's relatively easy to modify to get it down a bit further at the front. So far I have achieved nearly an inch, but that is still nearly an inch higher than the N40 peak when it's dropped into its lowest position.
I considered the N70-2 in the Honda tricolour but they wanted about £40 (50 bucks) more ..... and in recent years I have become convinced by the only bit of scientific research ever done that shows you stand a 30% better chance of being seen with a white helmet than any other colour. I bought some small HRC stickers off the auction site, and they key the helmet to the bike colours quite effectively.
The N40 would be my helmet of choice if they had made it a better shape and sorted the rigidity of the peak and sorted the noise problem at the base of the helmet. I guess Nolan think they did all that with the N70 and I suppose they have with the higher longer peak being the best compromise they could come up with.
Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@mike5100 I'm still leaning towards the n70. However, I came across a used schuberth e1. Ridden in for a year... I asked how many miles is that, he hasn't gotten back to me yet, but it has 4 visors in different colors, said it has the Bluetooth headset installed, it's black. He wants $250 for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal, but would have to ride a few hours to meet with him.... Won't ship.

My question is how well does schuberth breathe? I've heard complaints that they're like having your head in a Dutch oven they're so hot. Also, is it true the visor won't stay open while riding?

I'm so torn. I think I'd prefer a conventional flip up modular over the removable chin bar.... But I said I'd never go modular either! But complaints I've read about the e1 mostly seem to pertain to the high price rather than to its failings. It seems to be a helmet people love or hate. Decisions decisions.

Maybe I should pretend to be a journalist so I can try a bunch out beforehand. 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
@mike5100 I'm still leaning towards the n70. However, I came across a used schuberth e1. Ridden in for a year... I asked how many miles is that, he hasn't gotten back to me yet, but it has 4 visors in different colors, said it has the Bluetooth headset installed, it's black. He wants $250 for it. Sounds like a pretty good deal, but would have to ride a few hours to meet with him.... Won't ship.

My question is how well does schuberth breathe? I've heard complaints that they're like having your head in a Dutch oven they're so hot. Also, is it true the visor won't stay open while riding?

I'm so torn. I think I'd prefer a conventional flip up modular over the removable chin bar.... But I said I'd never go modular either! But complaints I've read about the e1 mostly seem to pertain to the high price rather than to its failings. It seems to be a helmet people love or hate. Decisions decisions.

Maybe I should pretend to be a journalist so I can try a bunch out beforehand. 😂
... and that is during the best of times.

Now you have to deal with trying on some "Covid Underwear". Be careful.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... and that is during the best of times.

Now you have to deal with trying on some "Covid Underwear". Be careful.
I know right! He said he's been deployed for the last two years..... The helmet was in climate controlled storage. So pre-covid, but yeah, saying this out loud, think I'll pass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really like this Nishua Carbon Enduro ...so freakish light its is crazy light .....I am coming from my E1 and many others including these on my wall

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yeah carbon makes a huge difference to the weight. Once had an AGV carbon - but had to return it when all the bits and pieces started falling off.
It's so long since I wore my Schuberths that I can't remember much about them. Venting was OK, I think. Certainly no worse than the Nolans. And I never remember the visor dropping down. The problems were that the visor aperture was small, and that they both leaked inside the visor in persistent rain. I might try one again today and reming myself what it's like without a peak.
Mike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts