Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an Arai XD-4, Schubert R2, HJC DS-X1 and a KTM Street EVO.
The Arai is the most comfortable,
schubert the quietest,
KTM lightest but noisest.

My goto is usually the Arai but it catches the cross wind when going through the columbia river gorge.

I gave up on modular helmets a few years ago.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have an Arai XD-4, Schubert R2, HJC DS-X1 and a KTM Street EVO.
The Arai is the most comfortable,
schubert the quietest,
KTM lightest but noisest.

My goto is usually the Arai but it catches the cross wind when going through the columbia river gorge.

I gave up on modular helmets a few years ago.
I appreciate the input. I think modular has a lot of room for improvement. Hopefully the manufactures will improve on the design. But the convenience where I ride, how I ride.... Checking maps, getting a quick snack, talking to folks, putting people at ease so they can see my face, dealing with cops, forest rangers, getting a bit more air on a slow moving sweltering day, running into a store, stuck in traffic, etc.

Switching was pretty much a game changer for me. There's definitely compromise involved. Hopefully this nolan works out. If not, I'll probably try a non adv style modular next. Reviews seemed to all be pretty good... That this particular helmet punches above its weight. I definitely want to eventually try more. It's a shame that helmets can be so expensive and we really can't try before we buy. I've heard great things about all you mentioned.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey Amphib. I'm running the Arai XD-4 and am really happy with it. It's a tough, well-built, light helmet which provides some of the best protection you can get for your $$s. As with any helmet, head shape and fit will determine what you can and can't live with. There are quite a number of different designs for the helmet, including one for red-format AT's. Here's some detailed info.

I've had to add Arai's anti-fog face shield to get through FL's rainy season sans fogging. I've read here somewhere that you can also use the original shield and just treat it with Plexus. I tried that and eventually went back to the anti-fog.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Amphib. I'm wearing the Arai XD-4 and am really happy with it. It's a tough, well-built, light helmet which provides some of the best protection you can get for your $$s. As with any helmet, head shape and fit will determine what you can and can't live with. Here's some detailed info.

I've had to add Arai's anti-fog face shield to get through FL's rainy season sans fogging. I've read here that you can also use the original shield and just treat it with Plexus. I tried that and eventually went back to the anti-fog.
That helmet is on my list. My AT950 has been my only helmet. So I've been looking for something to replace it and it's features. (I came from Harley and only wore half helmets)

We get a lot of humidity here as well. While I love plexus for cleaning, I've had no luck with fog.

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up an xd4, or similar. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
328 Posts
As you search, here's a site you should put on your scan: The Helmet Shop in Ormond Beach.

Call them to get the best price. The owner can consistently get underneath the standard price by a significant amount for new items. They ship too.

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That helmet is on my list. My AT950 has been my only helmet. So I've been looking for something to replace it and it's features. (I came from Harley and only wore half helmets)

We get a lot of humidity here as well. While I love plexus for cleaning, I've had no luck with fog.

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up an xd4, or similar. Thanks for the suggestion!
In the UK the Nolan N70-2X comes with a pinlock inner screen already fitted. If yours doesn't Amphib, it's worth buying one as it doesn't impede the view - ie it's pretty close to the edges of the visor.
Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As you search, here's a site you should put on your scan: The Helmet Shop in Ormond Beach.

Call them to get the best price. The owner can consistently get underneath the standard price by a significant amount for new items. They ship too.
Holy cow! Awesome man. Thanks. Bookmarked for sure. Wide selection, great prices. I wish I found them earlier.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
In the UK the Nolan N70-2X comes with a pinlock inner screen already fitted. If yours doesn't Amphib, it's worth buying one as it doesn't impede the view - ie it's pretty close to the edges of the visor.
Mike
I've never tried pinlock and I was definitely interested that this helmet should come with one. I believe they do come with helmets here in the US based on comments and reviews. Hopefully I'll get it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've never tried pinlock and I was definitely interested that this helmet should come with one. I believe they do come with helmets here in the US based on comments and reviews. Hopefully I'll get it.
I also bought pinlock for the XD-4 but sent the visor and insert back after Cuch pointed me to the anti-fog visor. I never wore the pinlock but was put off by its design...it didn't seem to be real robust. And it was expensive.

Reactions: Amphib

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I also bought pinlock for the XD-4 but sent the visor and insert back after Cuch pointed me to the anti-fog visor. I never wore the pinlock but was put off by its design...it didn't seem to be real robust. And it was expensive.
All I can say Amphib is persevere with the pinlock - do a bit of research too. Problems you see reported are generally caused by two things:
  • incorrectly fitted pinlock (the gel seal needs to press against the visor all around - no gaps where it's not touching. If there is even a slight gap the pinlock is useless. But the pinlock people know what they are doing and any gap is not caused by manufacturing problems but by insufficient pressure on the two pinlock posts. These posts are actually cams, and are intended to be rotated to provide more (or less) pressure if the gel seal is not touching everywhere. There are videos showing you how to get this right, but usually if the pinlock is well fitted when you get it, it fits well after you have removed it for cleaning too. I clean mine after maybe 30 rides (with just water and a soft cloth and gentle rubbing.)
  • damaged pinlock surface. The inner surface has to be soft - that's what absorbs the moisture. And damage is cause by shoving gloves and other things inside the helmet with the visor in the down position. The N70 has a great way of protecting the visor when it is in the up position - the peak - so whenever I am parking or carry my helmet with gloves in it, I put the visor up.
My riding pal has no patience with them and consequently doesn't get them fitted properly. This culminated in him tearing the pinlock off one December and throwing it in the Rhine. A couple of days later he had to try and ride in a snowstorm with his visor open whilst I was perfectly warm and looking through my almost completely clear visor with pinlock. I say ALMOST completely clear, because you need to be aware that eventually the humidity will overwhelm the hydrphilic layer of the pinlock and it will begin to steam up. If that happens it's probably time to stop for a coffee and put your helmet somewhere warm so that the layer can recharge itself.
I spent many months trying different anti-fog coatings, and none worked for more than a few minutes in heavy rain, but maybe people have come up with new coatings in recent years.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
Pinlock is not very effective at -35C. Cracking open the shield seems to always work. However, the new problem of eyeball freeze ensues and is a drag. At least the machine is still running well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Pinlock is not very effective at -35C. Cracking open the shield seems to always work. However, the new problem of eyeball freeze ensues and is a drag. At least the machine is still running well.
Yikes, who's out in -35 C (-31 F) riding around at speed? Snowmobilers I guess. Probably not too many 2-wheelers. And absolutely zero Harleys. Right?

Well, maybe not. A friend who lives in North Pole, AK (just ESE of Fairbanks) tells of a Harley rider who appeared in town a few seasons back in the dead of winter. He had a studded tire on the rear and a ski on the front. He stated he was riding up the Tanana River to the Yukon River and was heading to see the north country. The locals were all pretty amused at this. He stayed a couple of days then headed out. My buddy says they never heard whether he made it or not. Here's hoping he did.

Now those are big brass ones! Just sayin'.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts