Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a new helmet and I thought that I would like to get some opinions from you guys. My short list consists of, in descending order, the TOURATECH AVENTURO MOD, Schuberth E1 Guardian, Arai XD-4 or the Shoei X2 Hornet. It must have a visor and I would prefer a inner flip down sunshield.
What do you guys wear? I use earplugs but want something quite.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't have any experience with adventure helmets, so this might be a bit pointless.
I have been riding with the very quiet Shoei neotec for the last 2 years and I absolutely love it.
No earplugs needed at all.
Having a great quiet helmet that closes of at the chin keeps your face nice and warm in the winter.
The ventilation when the flaps are all open is excellent as well, so I must say I can only praise Shoei for there quality.

On the other hand all the helmets you mention are premium brands, so I don't suspect you will go wrong with any of them.
Perhaps fitting them will be the best way to determinate what's wright for you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an xd4 but all of the lids you mention are quality. Just get what fits your head best

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am shopping for a new helmet and I thought that I would like to get some opinions from you guys. My short list consists of, in descending order, the TOURATECH AVENTURO MOD, Schuberth E1 Guardian, Arai XD-4 or the Shoei X2 Hornet. It must have a visor and I would prefer a inner flip down sunshield.
What do you guys wear? I use earplugs but want something quite.
Hi Mudslingr, search the THREAD titled "Which HELMET" you'll get some good feedback there, :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have the Neotech and agree with what has been stated here. It's a great helmet for any type of riding.

I don't have any experience with adventure helmets, so this might be a bit pointless.
I have been riding with the very quiet Shoei neotec for the last 2 years and I absolutely love it.
No earplugs needed at all.
Having a great quiet helmet that closes of at the chin keeps your face nice and warm in the winter.
The ventilation when the flaps are all open is excellent as well, so I must say I can only praise Shoei for there quality.

On the other hand all the helmets you mention are premium brands, so I don't suspect you will go wrong with any of them.
Perhaps fitting them will be the best way to determinate what's wright for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New to adventure riding and only have road full face with poor perhipal vision and mostly use a shoei J Cruise on my cruiser.
Question is a helmet with a peak or not. Scoured over forums far and wide and the question that always comes up it how much some buffer from the peak on the road. I am a senior rideer so no sound of speed stuff just tootal along at legal road speeds which in Australia is 100 ks in my state or 62 mph in the old language. Any and all constructive advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
479 Posts
New to adventure riding and only have road full face with poor perhipal vision and mostly use a shoei J Cruise on my cruiser.
Question is a helmet with a peak or not. Scoured over forums far and wide and the question that always comes up it how much some buffer from the peak on the road. I am a senior rideer so no sound of speed stuff just tootal along at legal road speeds which in Australia is 100 ks in my state or 62 mph in the old language. Any and all constructive advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
If you didnt need/want a peak before you wont need one "Adventure Riding" either. Choose a helmet you like, if you are doing mostly road use the peak will just add turbulence and noise. You are not the first to consider this question, see a good answer here https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/should-you-buy-a-dual-sport-helmet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spectacles wearer

Be interested in other users with glasses comments. I prefer an open face helmet with specs as they are easier and more comfortable than with a full face. Any specs wearers using other helmets or endure style? I also prefer an inner sun visor as I can use my standard clear specs with this option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get what ever fits your head best. I've been wearing an Arai Profile for years now and have no issue using it on my AT. If I can find a adventure style helmet that fit like my Arai I might consider buying one but until then it will work just fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a Uvex carbon, older Arai Tourex and the new E1. The problem with the Uvex is the continues visor vibration and the Aria is just old. The E1 is a really comfortable, but I think it does not vent enough. Maybe in colder regions it will be fine, but not in 30 degree climates. I took delivery of a Bell mx-9 Adventure a couple of weeks ago and so far I am pretty impressed with it. It is comfortable, well vented and so far no vibration.

Reactions: Mudslingr

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a Shoei Hornet X2 to use while i ride the Africa Twin. In the past, I have been using a Shoei RF1100. I too have a Shoei J Cruise that I wear when I am riding my Harley. Anyway, I have found that Shoei fits my head better than any other helmets. Next best fit is HJC helmets and ARAI. I would suggest trying on different helmets to see which you like better.
Charles

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have got my first adventure helmet and after trying all the options went for the Arai. It may be worth waiting for a month or so as I have seen a pre production of the new Klim adventure lid which was feather light and looked well put together.

As mentioned before go for a good fit rather than a brand.

Best of luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the Arai adventure helmet too as it was the best fit. It is noisier than my standard Arai but the vision is better so I'll rotate depending on the trip. I really like the peak on the odd sunny day we get here in Scotland .. not tried it without it fitted yet as I suspect it may make it quieter. I really liked the Shoei Adventure helmet but the shell just didn't fit my head properly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought the Arai adventure helmet too as it was the best fit. It is noisier than my standard Arai but the vision is better so I'll rotate depending on the trip. I really like the peak on the odd sunny day we get here in Scotland .. not tried it without it fitted yet as I suspect it may make it quieter. I really liked the Shoei Adventure helmet but the shell just didn't fit my head properly.
Hi Mike, I got the Shoei, its ok but I think the Arai has a better venting system, I'll try the Arai next, and as far as the fit, its not the shell, it's the polistirene liner shape that makes the differance, an old bushmans trick is to take to the polistirene with a Die grinder and grind out the parts that are pressing against your head, not ideal but works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Mike, I got the Shoei, its ok but I think the Arai has a better venting system, I'll try the Arai next, and as far as the fit, its not the shell, it's the polistirene liner shape that makes the differance, an old bushmans trick is to take to the polistirene with a Die grinder and grind out the parts that are pressing against your head, not ideal but works.
As I was heading out to get new tyres fitted I thought I'd try the Arai without the peak. It seemed a lot quieter and defiantly less buffeting. As an aside to this thread the new tyres (Conti Road Attack 2s) have transformed the bike. Recommended. .. horrible, wet, slippy day and no slides.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a Uvex carbon, older Arai Tourex and the new E1. The problem with the Uvex is the continues visor vibration and the Aria is just old. The E1 is a really comfortable, but I think it does not vent enough. Maybe in colder regions it will be fine, but not in 30 degree climates. I took delivery of a Bell mx-9 Adventure a couple of weeks ago and so far I am pretty impressed with it. It is comfortable, well vented and so far no vibration.
Could you tell me how the Bell compares to the Arai and Shubert on noise levels?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts