Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my Goldwing ( I’m only 40, and it was a little too car-like and pedestrian for me! ) and would like to try an adventure bike next.

If I’m honest with myself 90% of my riding is commuting on busy side streets and highways. The other 10% is longer weekend rides and I’d love to explore some fire trails.

I like the AT as it seems slim and light enough to be viable in heavy traffic, but also a decent off road bike also.

I’ve been looking at the bike below, but would love thoughts, even knocking $1k off the asking price, I’m still a bit worried I’d be overpaying:


One other concern I have...I’m 6’3 and many reviews mention unbearable wind noise and buffeting, this is something I don’t have much patience with on bikes. Any experiences with this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Joined
·
52 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. Looking at the ad, it seems like the owner has been very busy riding it! When it comes to buffeting, yes the AT does create it especially if you wear a dual sport helmet. I actually had neck and back pains from the buffeting. I installed a Swegotech forkshield and it fixed the buffeting issues easily. No more neck and back pains from the wind! Seeing you plan on commuting, it may not be a bad idea to buy the forkshield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I'm on the opposite coast so I don't know the market there but seems like there are newer, less used or leftover bikes out there that could be a better value. Cycle Trader, broader CL search, other forums, etc.
 

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
Joined
·
308 Posts
I think there are better options for the money that that one. The next gen (2018-2019) had a lot of nice improvements, lost weight, and have more power and an overall more lively power delivery and better traction control options.

As mentioned there are some leftover 2018 and 2019 for likely not much more money and you'd have a factory warranty. Also a different windscreen can do wonders on this bike. At least it did on my 2018 Adventure Sport. On my 2020 I didn't get quite the improvement but a significant one nonetheless. The forkshield works well too.
 

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Manual
Joined
·
51 Posts
I bought a showroom new 2019 manual last March, $9,985. I did put a few mods on it but it is great stock.
 

·
Registered
2017 DCT
Joined
·
318 Posts
Price seems high, but maybe there is enough flexibility to bring it down... I doubt it will sell fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I have a 19 atas. I would sell for 11,500. It has about 5500 miles and a few extras. Nothing wrong with it just doesn't fit me well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
If your spending a lot of time in traffic maybe look for a DCT model. Its easy enough to install a tall screen or even an adjustable.
Agree with Beowulf
 
  • Like
Reactions: JJ Mendez

·
Registered
2017 Africa Twin
Joined
·
39 Posts
I bought a leftover 2017 in February for $8,999, a little under 10,000 out the door.

I agree you could probably find a leftover model with 0 miles and a full 1 year warranty for close to that price. Even if you flew somewhere and rode it home you may find a better deal.

On the other hand, the mileage on that bike wouldn’t bother me one bit as long as the bike is in good shape. Offer a lower price and see if they will come down.

I’m 6,2 and found a little buffeting with the stock windshield. I removed the visor
From my helmet and problem solved.

Good luck, this is a great bike and personally I think the red white and black colors are the best.
 

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000 manual w Rally livery
Joined
·
46 Posts
***rest of post deleted
Many thanks in advance for any advice!
The bike in the ad looks good, it is just a tad bit expensive. You be fine on it with your height, though some buffeting will occur compared to your GoldWing.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top