Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Ernie. This is my first post on this forum, I'm here because I'm not sure what to do about my bike and need some advice.

Last week I took my bike on the trail for the first time. It has around 1500 miles on it. After an hour or so of riding, I ended up dismounting over a patch of soft sand. The bike turned itself off and after that, refused to start it's engine. My Rear ABS Off indicator flashes every time I try to start the bike.

I removed the ABS Main fuse to see if that would reset it but that didn't work. Disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery also did not work. I'm going to be taking the bike to a dealer this week, but I need to know if other people have had this problem before! Is this common, and are there solutions for this situation when I'm on the trail?

Thanks in advance,
A fellow rider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more info needed. Is the engine turning over? Is the fuel pump priming?
No, it's not turning, and it does sound like the fuel pump is priming. I'm getting a dash on my gear indicator instead of neutral as well. When I hit the start button, the bike makes a clicking noise and then flashes the rear ABS off indicator.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Others have reported similar after a get-off, won't restart right away but after 10 or 15 min it will go. Some theorize it could be related to the tilt switch maybe not resetting properly. There is a thread on advrider forums that discusses it, I'll post a link if I can find it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
125 Posts

No one seems to know for sure whether the angle sensor switch will cut power to the starter circuit - meaning it would not even crank when tripped, or faulty. Some say it will still crank, others surmise it won't.
You didn't mention whether or not this is a manual or dct. I'm not familiar with the dct, but is it possible (and what would happen if) to get stuck in gear. Does the bike roll freely, as is indeed in neutrual?
I would also look at the side-stand safety switch if the bike went down on the left side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

No one seems to know for sure whether the angle sensor switch will cut power to the starter circuit - meaning it would not even crank when tripped, or faulty. Some say it will still crank, others surmise it won't.
You didn't mention whether or not this is a manual or dct. I'm not familiar with the dct, but is it possible (and what would happen if) to get stuck in gear. Does the bike roll freely, as is indeed in neutrual?
I would also look at the side-stand safety switch if the bike went down on the left side.
It's a DCT. The bike does act like it's in neutral. The bike went down on it's right side, so I don't think it would be the stand safety, but I'll check that out. Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Try and roll it backwards and forwards a few times with it off to see if it makes a difference. Mine died once and the DCT seemed to have got stuck in no mans land. On the main stand rolled the wheel backwards and forwards and it came back on as normal. It does mention it in the owners handbook.

·
Registered
38 Posts

No one seems to know for sure whether the angle sensor switch will cut power to the starter circuit - meaning it would not even crank when tripped, or faulty.
With a bad bank angle sensor, it will still crank, just not start. I just changed my sensor out because it would stick on hard fall to the right.

Cory

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was on a 3 day ride last year and my AT DCT only had about 1,100 miles when after along a day of riding I went to restart the bike and got the dash symbol where the gear indicator is. The bike initially started but ran poorly with ABS and traction control lights coming on and off. I was able to make it our hotel, but in the am the bike wouldn't start. I assumed it was something to do with the battery but after an hour of trying various fixes I had the bike towed to the nearest Honda dealer. They worked on it for 5 hours and said they needed to talk to Honda North America ,but they wouldn't be available until Tuesday this was Saturday of a holiday weekend. I had the bike transported to the dealer that I bought the bike from. It took them a week of working with Honda engineers to determine it was a bad wiring harness. That was 10 months and 4,000 miles ago and so far no issues. It doesn't cause concern because if something like that happens in a remote area there will no easy fixes. I saw today that Honda had a recall on the wiring harnesses for the 250 CFRL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Every time I read one of these threads I hate this bike a little more. PS: I don't hate the bike but this complexity and cost is taking a lot of fun out of this love affair

·
Registered
577 Posts
Every time I read one of these threads I hate this bike a little more. PS: I don't hate the bike but this complexity and cost is taking a lot of fun out of this love affair
Just remember, this is the internet. A lot of $hit happens.
Am I lucky, that I have 47k trouble free miles on my AT?
If I was that lucky, I should have hit the lottery by now...
Just read less, ride more :)

Reactions: SurfsUp

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm assuming your kill switch is off?
When I got my manual, I had issues with a flashing ABS light and I lost power and could not restart.
I tightened the ground on my battery and all problems disappeared and she has run flawlessly since. The ground is tucked in and tough to get in easily. It was cross threaded and not truly tightened. I unscrewed it, put it in straight and torqued it till it was solid.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just remember, this is the internet. A lot of $hit happens.
Am I lucky, that I have 47k trouble free miles on my AT?
If I was that lucky, I should have hit the lottery by now...
Just read less, ride more :)
Haha, good reply. I'm 64 been riding forever but reading forums is new to me. I need to factor in that people post when they have a problem. Years past I didn't know internet thus I knew nothing about would be problems and perhaps ignorance really can be bliss

47K trouble free is heartening :smile2:

Reactions: SurfsUp

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm curious, MeCasa. Do you have a manual or DCT, how many miles and have you had any problelms? I'm a new owner to a 2018 ATAS manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts