Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good jumper box for the AT that is compact and powerful enuff to crank it over for a few mins? What cranking amperage do I need to crank a 1L parallel twin?

I bought a DBPower 800 peak cranking amp jumper box off Amazon. Its bigger than I thought. this thing has an 18000mAh battery. It even has a built in compass and light.
Rated to start up 6.7L gas engine. Its a hoss and I will sell it for $70 shipped. New, still shrink wrapped.

So what is a good, small, light jumper box to carry at all times. Has anyone found one that will fit in the toolbox?
Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought this one: http://propowerinternational.com/volt/propower-volt-jump-starter after a recommendation on the advrider forums.
I have used it to jump start my DR650 and to help others with flat batteries on the following: Cagiva 900cc, BMW 1200cc and my uncles Daihatsu Charade.
It has worked flawlessly, I used it on 3 different motorcycles during a trip - with no charging in between.

From Amazon, this one: https://www.amazon.com/JUNOJUMPR-Pocket-Size-Smartphones-Motorcycles-Flashlight/dp/B00MJNE44E/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1530990033&sr=8-43&keywords=mini+motorcycle+jump+starter looks to be identical. If it is exactly the same, rather than a cheaper knock-off, then it would be a good reliable unit. I don't know how to tell if it is the same unit with a different brand name on it, but it is certainly possible that one manufacturer has sold them to different companies to brand and package as they like.

The size is smaller than my smart-phone and easily fits in my tank bag.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought this one from Amazon: RK Power 400A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter – 8000 mAh Battery - USB Power Bank & Phone Charger (you got to search for it; don't know why this site messes up Amazon hyperlnks...)

The purchase was based purely on a mix of Amazon reviews and a [low] price-point. I have used it 2 times on my Versys 650, once on a 6-cylinder Ford van and once on a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry. Both cars were on parking lots and they had enough juice to power the lights until you cranked the engine. The Camry turned on the first try (one or two cranks). The van turned a few times (maybe 6-7) without starting then we left the pack connected for about a minute and it turned on after 3 cranks. The van was pretty old and beat up, if that matters.

I always carry it with me and have used it on every Honda AT ride, using the USB ports to charge/power my phone and GPS. If the charging bars are to be trusted, powering both devices for an aggregate of 30 to 40 hours uses about 1/2 of its charge (the bars are halfway up when I plug it in to recharge after a few rides).

The Versys battery is easily accessible under the seat but the Honda is a bit trickier. I just got the parts to install an accessory socket and will be installing a SAE connector cable for the trickle charger. I've been thinking of getting a "polarity inverter" adapter in order to be able to jump start it (one of the big disadvantages of the DCT - no jump starts...) but not sure what the amperages involved are. If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a look at the AntiGravity Batteries Micro Start Sport. It weighs Less than a pound and is around 5 x 3 inches. I have one for my bike and it also doubles for my boat. It’s pretty small but can start up to a 5 litre petrol engine , so plenty of power.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!
I still have not bought a jumper battery.

AntiGravity looks great. I had seen mention of the name a few times before and a few times since. Sport model seems fine for the AT. They do cost a little more but I have faith its going into a quality product.

Also they have the RE-START Battery--RE-START Battery intelligently monitors its status, and just before going completely dead puts itself to sleep with just enough energy to get your vehicle started again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts