Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lithium battery is dead for my 2018 atas does anyone know of a alternative lithium battery that will fit as I'm not giving honda £450-£500 for a battery .Before I just dump the bike in the garage and forget about it .

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm assuming that you have a lithium specific charger such as an Optimate Lithium?

TecMate OptiMate Lithium 0.8A Battery Optimiser (SAE)

I cant help with an alternative battery suggestion but I'd like to know if you have any idea why your battery has died?
I have a vested interest in your answer as I too have a 2018 with a lithium battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Ron3005

Sorry to read of your troubles. Is the bike under warranty still? Should be covered if so!

Do you know what the battery voltage is?

I had similar issues recently. Bike is 10 weeks old and one evening I went to start up to give the battery a top up and bike was dead and battery was at 8v. I connected a lithium charger and it just showed an error light.

Long story short I called Honda Assistance (AA) and the tech was keen to jump it but I was hesitant as I know they can be unpredictable if damaged internally/ depleted and/ or over charged. Anyway, didn’t have much choice so we agreed to jump it with a fuse in line with the battery to limit the current and managed to get the voltage back up to about 12 volts. I put my charger on and it’s now made a full recovery.

I read up and a lot of lithium batteries have a protection circuit that electronically switches off the battery once it gets below a certain voltage (usually around 3v). This protects the battery from becoming completely discharged and rendering it scrap. They can be “woken” up with a voltage / current boost. Have you the facility to try that?

If the battery is actually shot and not covered by warranty, Halfords have got some lithium ones available on special order. I didn’t check dimensions but the one that looked similar to the AT one was £100 with a trade card. Otherwise you could put in a lead acid.

Let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If the bike came OEM with a lithium battery, it is unlikely one will be able to fit a lead acid-based pile physically in the same space.

Lithium batteries have strong shelf life when idle (no load). It might be worthwhile to check when the ignition is off that there is no current draw from the battery mains. I did that once on a godforsaken HD V-Rod and its system was drawing 180 mA. The lead acid battery would be dead in a week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Ron - sorry - just saw this. Where are you in UK? I'm in South West London - I'd be happy to recharge with my optimate lithium charger if you can get your battery to me, or get a charger from sportsbikeshop (they delivered my TM294 next day). For a little more money (GBP149) allbatteries.co.uk will do you a new lithium battery - give them a call to see what they recommend / have in stock...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys I have a lithium charger I can only get it to 12volts and it does start the bike. I've lost faith in this battery as my charger does say its faulty I've ordered a YPL14 lithium battery which will fit £131 still a lot better than OEM prices only prob I have now looks like because of problems with the battery going dead the engine light now stays on

·
Registered
1 Posts
My lithium battery is dead for my 2018 atas does anyone know of a alternative lithium battery that will fit as I'm not giving honda £450-£500 for a battery .Before I just dump the bike in the garage and forget about it .
Go to Calsport.co.uk web site they have lithium batteries for £150.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update started the bike last night a went for a ride I checked the battery after and it read 14volts so looking good. When the new battery arrives I will keep for a spare
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have a Tracker fitted?.... I had discharge problems (?!!?) due to not getting a phone signal near my home, the tracker was constantly searching for a signal and draining the battery within 3 days.
a friend staying next door had same problem with his car. Left it 2 weeks and battery was flat, same issue, tracker and no phone signal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a Tracker fitted?.... I had discharge problems (?!!?) due to not getting a phone signal near my home, the tracker was constantly searching for a signal and draining the battery within 3 days.
a friend staying next door had same problem with his car. Left it 2 weeks and battery was flat, same issue, tracker and no phone signal.
Yea I've got a tracker fitted I dont have problems getting a signal. I'm going to check daily see how it goes

·
Registered
10 Posts
For future reference a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 is suppose to fit. The crf1000l 2018 battery dimensions are70x112x110 the Shorai is slightly longer at 113. I have just ordered one but might give the old battery another go after reading this.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts