Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new to riding (have owned various dual sport and dirt bikes), but I am new to an AT. After much research and riding, I’ve narrowed down to this bike and I’m excited. Use will be occasional commute to work, but primarily weekend fun riding, including to/from/at our ranch in the Texas Hill Country.

I am absolutely paralyzed on which variant to purchase. Base vs AS and 2018 vs 2019. All of the above are available and within $2k of each other. So if budget not the concern, which do you buy and why? I love the look and added functionality of the AS, but it’s SO high! Almost unnecessarily so in my opinion. The base would be fine for me, but I definitely like the paint options better on AS. Some will say to ignore the looks of the bike, but the excitement factor of how it looks matters (to me).

So for your money, which variant and why?

By the way, I’m 5’11, 240lbs, 31 inch inseam. I’ve had bikes I couldn’t flat foot, but not ones that are 550lbs haha. The AS in low seat position has me on balls of feet. The base in same position I can flat foot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
In your position I'd go 2019 ATAS and get someone to sort an inch reduction from the seat.
I have a 2017 DCT. If I didn't and was in your position, I'd do the above. Bigger tank and the bits I'd actually want...additional lights/grips etc. And like you, I like the ATAS colour scheme

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In your position I'd go 2019 ATAS and get someone to sort an inch reduction from the seat.
I have a 2017 DCT. If I didn't and was in your position, I'd do the above. Bigger tank and the bits I'd actually want...additional lights/grips etc. And like you, I like the ATAS colour scheme
Thanks for the feedback! Curious, why 2019 vs 2018? Do you prefer the silver gray and white better than the anniversary colors?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I went for an anniversary Sport with the DCT box and it's bonkers. Great fun to ride. If you miss the gear pedal, then add one. But the finger controls up and down are great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I’m 5’10, 210 lbs. I bought a OEM Low seat for my 2018 ATAS DCT. With boots I can almost but not quiet flatfoot it. I chose it over the base for the bigger tank and the Anniversary color scheme. The heated grips are problematic. Mine quit working about 10 miles from the dealer on my ride home. Apparently from the service guys in the dealer shop these OEM heated grips are junk. I’m getting them replaced under warranty. I love the DCT it’s an absolute blast to ride. In sport 3 mode when you crack the throttle it’s a lot of fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh and if your going to ride off-road get some real crash bars installed. The ones that come stock on the AS are not really crash bars. They are light mount bars. They are rubber mounted and if you drop the bike they will flex into your plastic fairing. Ask me how I know. I dropped my bike on my first off-road outing on some steep rocky muddy terrain. Broke both handguards and the OEM crash bar / light bars cracked my fairing because the bar flexed into the plastic. I’ve ordered some real solid mount crash bars and engine guards from brush busters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same dilemma. I’m 5’10, 210 lbs. I bought a OEM Low seat for my 2018 ATAS DCT. With boots I can almost but not quiet flatfoot it. I chose it over the base for the bigger tank and the Anniversary color scheme. The heated grips are problematic. Mine quit working about 10 miles from the dealer on my ride home. Apparently from the service guys in the dealer shop these OEM heated grips are junk. I’m getting them replaced under warranty. I love the DCT it’s an absolute blast to ride. In sport 3 mode when you crack the throttle it’s a lot of fun.
For the low seat, it only comes in black right? So it just doesn’t match up with the passenger seat and bike paint now? Or did you find a way to match it up?

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my 217 AT Tricolor, I had an upholsterer swap the blue cover from the OEM standard seat onto the OEM low seat. Ten minute job, he also tapered the front section to make my legs longer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On my 217 AT Tricolor, I had an upholsterer swap the blue cover from the OEM standard seat onto the OEM low seat. Ten minute job, he also tapered the front section to make my legs longer.
Hello Ghorgan, do you have any pics? I would like to see how he did the Taper so I can do the same thing to my seat. Well, the seat guy, not me. Where did you take your seat to? Just a normal reupholster place?

Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the low seat, it only comes in black right? So it just doesn’t match up with the passenger seat and bike paint now? Or did you find a way to match it up?
It only comes in black. I’m a form over fashion guy so I am fine with the rider seat being black. I plan to put plates on the rear seat and rack anyway for touring. Corbin also makes an even lower touring seat for the ATASCADERO. But it’s $500. I may spring for the Corbin before my Alaska trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if you guys were in the marke today would you buy a 2018 or 2019 ATAS? One is about to be a year old. But pretty cool anniv graphics. But the 2019 although more subtle is pretty cool also!

·
Registered
437 Posts
under the bonnet so to speak the two year models are identical.

I could have waited for the silver version.. or even the 2019 tricolour. But chose to get the 2018 as the discount was not insignificant. also the photos i saw of the silver made it look a little too "urban camo" for my taste. seeing it in the metal I might change my mind. But there is something a little special about the 30th anniversary badge on the tank.

if there is a 30th anniversary close to you then it might be worthwhile pursuing a discount as the 2019s are either imminent. or already out there and the dealer may be willing to take a cut in profits to 'make space'.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are we the same person? Mine quit working on the ride home from the dealer as well. After four trips they got them replaced under warranty and now they work very, very well.

I bought a base model seat which lowers the seating position on the bike by about 1.25 inches. I then ordered a krooztune 30mm lowering link, shorter sidestand, and added the destroker kit from the krooztune setup at a suspension shop. Total? 900 dollars. Result? Flat foot both sides. I am 5'11 and my knees are bent. Dope. With plenty of clearance under the skid plate I don't feel the capabilities are all that hindered and the bike is totally transformed from the perspective of riding confidence. Unfortunately, the front forks are complicated and every suspension shop I went to quoted several hundred dollars and one shop told me no. They're a bear.

Another advantage is that the bike confidently sits on the sidestand like most bikes now rather than being 5 degrees off vertical and making your butthole pucker.

I went with the Manual ATAS and I sometimes wonder if I would have been better off with a red base model that fit me well out of the gate. I also find myself in over an hour of stop and go traffic regularly and wish I had DCT for those moments. When I did my test ride on both the manual and DCT my gut reaction was the manual because the bike was simply more responsive. Period. I'm just constantly reminded of the decisions I make.

The bike can be lowered for cheap with an adjustable soupy lowering link, but without adjusting the front the suspension will be mismatched and you will have slower steering, wonky corner handling, and a light front end. I know this because I installed the link myself and then waited two weeks for the fork mods.

I still think the ATAS is just a freaking beastly bike and after adjusting to the wallet shock I won't regret it, but **** if this hasn't been a frustrating and expensive motorcycle honeymoon. The heated grips pissed me off.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
"So if you guys were in the marke today would you buy a 2018 or 2019 ATAS? One is about to be a year old. But pretty cool anniv graphics. But the 2019 although more subtle is pretty cool also!"

Man, that's going to be a difficult question to answer satisfactorily just now. Personally, I can't wait to see some more pictures of the 2019 ATAS with the new color scheme, here on the boards. Good pics, from all angles, with accessories, etc.

I couldn't be happier with my 2018 ATAS, with its "anniversary" colors. It really sets the bike apart.

But from what I've seen of the 2019 ATAS color scheme, it looks pretty cool too, if more subdued—and there's nothing wrong with subdued.

I can’t remember if I’ve told this story here before, have meant to do it many times, but don’t think I got around to it:

The second day I had the bike I was on the highway with my brother traveling east on 66 on a Sunday, here in VA, heading to my cousin’s motorcycle shop; somewhere between Falls Church and Arlington, just tooling down the highway at 65MPH. I’m mostly focused on the buffeting at this time, but it occurs to me that I’ve heard a train horn go off a few times. I keep riding and I hear the train horn again—going long this time. I’m thinking, WTF?! I look over to my left and see the Metro (over ground subway, here in VA with a line that runs between the opposing lanes on 66 all the way to DC). This metro train is running at the same speed and direction as us and I finally see the driver… he’s giving me a big thumbs-up sign and toots the horn yet again (this is a loud train horn, mind you, and he's got no business blowing this thing at his whim), and he’s smiling at me and letting me know he likes my bike! How often does something like that happen? Maybe he’d just bought an ATAS himself, maybe he was looking to buy one, whatever. Point is, the 2018 ATAS is anything but subdued. And anyone who knows adventure bikes can spot one from a mile away.

Would something like that happen with the 2019 bike with its more restrained, nearly black & white color scheme? Maybe not. Is that a bad thing? Maybe not. I think the black, silver and grey scheme looks pretty cool though, not quite as “sporty” as the 2018, but very bad-ạss nonetheless. And it grows on me every time I see it. But would I swap? Hẹll no. I can’t tell you how many compliments I get from non-motorcycle people on the color scheme of my bike—it’s just plain *pretty.*

·
Registered
191 Posts
Every time I look at special edition Honda colors for bikes from decades passed I always think about how cool they are and how neat it is that the owner has kept them so long. Fast forward to getting my hands on the 30th anniversary AT for my 30th birthday and, well, that all came together nicely.

And it better. My wife said no more bikes for awhile (6 in two years. Someone needs to start a 12 step motorcycle addiction group).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts