Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1100 basic, 6-speed. I'm having some difficulty understanding a few things in the settings and how (if possible) can I configure it to give me what I prefer for my preferred road riding, which is full power, preferably soft on/off throttling, full engine braking, with traction control somewhere in the middle.
I have been using Tour, which the simulator says: "Engine output: Highest". Good I want all the power it makes to be available, and the "P" circle shows one of 4 quadrants filled in Blue. Which seems odd that all are not blue, or gray. But whatever.
But Tour also gives "Throttle response from throttle grip operations: Quickest." Not what I want at all, I prefer less abrupt throttle.
Urban says throttle response "quick" which is ok, a little smoother I'll take that, but engine output is "high" so if I'm understanding correctly that means power is reduced from highest to just high. I don't want to give up power.
I'm unsure of what the engine braking circle with 3 sections means? Tour has 2 of the 3 filled in (blue). Urban has all three filled in, does this mean maximum engine braking or minimum engine braking? In other words for unimpeded and full engine braking do I want all 3 blue, or all 3 gray?

·
Registered
513 Posts
1100 basic, 6-speed. I'm having some difficulty understanding a few things in the settings and how (if possible) can I configure it to give me what I prefer for my preferred road riding, which is full power, preferably soft on/off throttling, full engine braking, with traction control somewhere in the middle.
I have been using Tour, which the simulator says: "Engine output: Highest". Good I want all the power it makes to be available, and the "P" circle shows one of 4 quadrants filled in Blue. Which seems odd that all are not blue, or gray. But whatever.
But Tour also gives "Throttle response from throttle grip operations: Quickest." Not what I want at all, I prefer less abrupt throttle.
Urban says throttle response "quick" which is ok, a little smoother I'll take that, but engine output is "high" so if I'm understanding correctly that means power is reduced from highest to just high. I don't want to give up power.
I'm unsure of what the engine braking circle with 3 sections means? Tour has 2 of the 3 filled in (blue). Urban has all three filled in, does this mean maximum engine braking or minimum engine braking? In other words for unimpeded and full engine braking do I want all 3 blue, or all 3 gray?
User on the 2019 allows you to change each of the settings and will hold those settings until you decide to change them despite how many restarts you make. User mode on the 1100 probably works the same.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. I've been trying to configure user 1 and user 2 but no luck yet setting them as I want. I'll keep fooling with them.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
73 Posts
Yeah the meaning of the settings are hard to grasp, it has been discussed a lot. Maybe the best way to think of it was stated by Richard on another post: The more blue on the settings the more relaxed the ride.

So full Power = 1 blue mark, Torque (traction) control somewhere in the middle = 3 or 4 blue marks and full Engine Braking = 1 blue mark

For “Less abrupt throttle” I would love to have that setting, but I’m afraid it ain’t one. Kind of softens the throttle response if you lower the Power setting with also maybe a high Torque Control, but then you lose power. I do find the throttle very jerky at low speeds in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. Seems to be an issue with the throttle by wire and the ignition settings to pass the current environmental requirements and the fact of not having a clutch lever on the DCTs. This is the single issue that I dislike the most of an otherwise awesome bike. There are several different kinds of aftermarket products that claim to address this throttle-fueling issue but I haven’t tried any of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have found that having the engine braking set to minimum (position 3, or 3 blue bars) makes it much easier to get on and off the throttle smoothly, so for general road riding I have set the user mode to:

max power: 1 blue bar of 4
Min TC: 1 blue bar of 7
min EB: 3 blue bars of 3

The engine braking seems counter intuitive, in that min braking, is the maximum position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have found that having the engine braking set to minimum (position 3, or 3 blue bars) makes it much easier to get on and off the throttle smoothly, so for general road riding I have set the user mode to:

The engine braking seems counter intuitive, in that min braking, is the maximum position.
Yeah the throttle is snatchy I think I'll try your settings thanks Herb.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
73 Posts
In agree with Herb71, I'm running with Eng. Braking on 3 marks (minimum) in order to have a smoother ride (don't think it'll affect much the throttle snatching though)

User Mode 1 Power 3 of 4 for slow City transit (low power smoother mode)
User Mode 2 Power 1 (max.) for Tour Mode
On Road ABS mode for those 2 On Road User Modes

and the factory Off Road mode with G switch in Cancel on non extreme Off Road

Torque Control on 3 marks in normal conditions

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Herb, do you know if user mode allow me to do this setting? It's basically what I want other than loosing just a bit of EB.

Mid TC: 3 blue bars of 7
more EB: 2 blue bars of 3

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Herb, do you know if user mode allow me to do this setting? It's basically what I want other than loosing just a bit of EB.

Mid TC: 3 blue bars of 7
more EB: 2 blue bars of 3
It should do. You can adjust all of the variables in User 1 and 2 modes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I started changing the ride mode to urban whenever I drive in the city, or when I change between first 3 gears a lot. The tour mode - well any mode with full power, is just so **** jerky and fiddling with the engine breaking doesn't seem to fix anything

Its a headache to drive and don't get me started on the better half behind you thinking you are an idiot, who can't drive smoothly :D

Hope Honda releases some software tweaks down the line for a smoother drive, but I guess there is always an aftermarket solution ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just seems incredible with all the different settings and modes we can't have all 96hp with smooth throttling and normal engine braking. In all honesty I don't understand the need for reducing engine maximum output anyway? I can see the benefit for a few levels of softening the throttle for smooth, gradual operation. And being able to turn off TC and ABS.
My 2016 AT had pretty nice throttle action. I traded it on a Crosstour and its throttle was horribly abrupt in lower gears which was one reason I got rid of it for another AT. This 2020 AT isn't quite as bad as the Crosstour but it is difficult for me to ride smoothly in 1st gear. In contrast my T700 has no "modes "or "settings" instead just a nice smooth, gradual throttle action, with full power and engine braking available at all times, with TC easily controlled by ones right wrist. It's really too bad because this AT is so good in most ways.
LOL I wish I could take some of the horribly sluggish throttle action from my Honda Ridgeline and add it to AT throttle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just seems incredible with all the different settings and modes we can't have all 96hp with smooth throttling and normal engine braking. In all honesty I don't understand the need for reducing engine maximum output anyway? I can see the benefit for a few levels of softening the throttle for smooth, gradual operation. And being able to turn off TC and ABS.
My 2016 AT had pretty nice throttle action. I traded it on a Crosstour and its throttle was horribly abrupt in lower gears which was one reason I got rid of it for another AT. This 2020 AT isn't quite as bad as the Crosstour but it is difficult for me to ride smoothly in 1st gear. In contrast my T700 has no "modes "or "settings" instead just a nice smooth, gradual throttle action, with full power and engine braking available at all times, with TC easily controlled by ones right wrist. It's really too bad because this AT is so good in most ways.
LOL I wish I could take some of the horribly sluggish throttle action from my Honda Ridgeline and add it to AT throttle.
The maximum power available is way too much for off road and gravel with any chance of corners and elevation. Having the adjustability makes the bike more suitable to a wider range of applications than it would be without.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The maximum power available is way too much for off road and gravel with any chance of corners and elevation. Having the adjustability makes the bike more suitable to a wider range of applications than it would be without.
Maximum power is completely controllable with the throttle, minimum power in low gears is what's more difficult to be smooth IMO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually, an initial snatchy throttle isn't desireable in racing, either. Most initial throttle openings occur when the bike is at a severe lean angle...not exactly the place to be upsetting the chassis.

I know of three ways to reduce the snatch...
  • Get really good with applying slight openings of the throttle. It's a fine motor control for which you'll have to program yourself. It won't completely eliminate the snatch but it will reduce it. I hang my index finger on the throttle housing to add stability to the movement.
  • In combination with an easy application of throttle, particularly in a racing environment, applying the throttle before you fully release the brakes virtually eliminates any snatch. As you're ramping off the brakes, get the ramp for the throttle started.
  • Tune it out with a piggyback device like a PowerCommander. You'll need a tuner that knows what they're doing.
Two of these techniques cost you nothing and are, imo, valuable assets in your toolbox of skills.
Speaking of toolbox, excessive chain slack can amplify the issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I've become as good as I can get at modulating the throttle back and forth between off and barely on. LOL I had good training on an FJ-09 and Crosstour, both of which were more difficult to ride than this AT. Once I'm past my gravel driveway and the single lane dirt road I live on and get up into 3rd gear it's typically not an issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts