21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found out that the 2020 ATAS DCT in "D" with wheelie control at 2, TC at 3 doesn't like it when you take off on a gravel shoulder, pop a slight wheelie and rooster tail some gravel... It puts a stop to that quite quick and cut power a lot. Fun police... lol

I ran in S1 for a while but now I've learned how "D" mode works on my bike and have no problems just running in it now. I keep the RPMs above 2000 and it appears to shift right were I would expect. I think the more I get used to this bike I feel more confident which allows me better throttle control. When passing I hit the downshift button twice and take off.

I've been doing more and more gravel. Gravel mode works pretty well. Off Road ABS works to allow me to drag the rear and keep the front in line. There isn't much dirt around where I am so gravel it is for now. I really want to change my tires to do anything more though. These Metzlers are great on road and ok on gravel but I don't think they will be very good in dirt. Given the current global situation I won't be doing the off road coarse I wanted to do this year so will probably run these tires into the ground before getting better tires.

Those exhaust blips... I love 'em. They don't appear all the time though. I love how this bike sounds stock.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
... When passing I hit the downshift button twice and take off.
Those exhaust blips... I love 'em. They don't appear all the time though. I love how this bike sounds stock.
That sounds about the same experience on the '19 AT as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great Pod cast here about how the DCT works, starts around 00:30:00 & explanation of the G mode 01:07, also talks about Recluse & slipper clutches
That is good stuff. Great explanation of how the DCT feels. Seamless / always in gear. I drive the S2 mode. It has the power that I want and the engine breaking that I want. It feels exactly how I ride a WR450 on the streets. It's really amazing and this is in the Tour/Urban/Gravel/Off Road modes.
I haven't touched the G mode or the Wheelie Mode or the User 1/2 modes or played with the Power/HSTC/Engine Braking.
I was playing on small dirt hills today (Off Road / S2) and ran across the situation @50:40 - 51:50. I wanted to shift down and have the bike kick that rock out. I manage to manually shift it into first and then floored the gas but the bike shifted into first and then second while I was still making my way up. The Torque Control Indicator started blinking. I made it up the hill but it was just a sorry slow ascent, not some grand accomplishment that I usually get from riding. I love kicking rocks is what I'm trying to say.

After listening to this guy though, it sounds like they have thought of everything. I have no doubt that tweaking the user mode and putting some tires on the bike will fix that problem real quick. Words are hard to come by describing this DCT. It's impressive technology.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When the DCT first debut some compared the engine with a Honda Fit cut in half.
It turned out it was only a joke, of course.
Recently, I had to replace a broken oil pressure sensor and almost spilled my morning joe when looking at prices in the parts vendors online.
Did some googling and ordered a pressure sensor for a Civic at a substantially reduced price and they are the same although part numbers do not match.
Free coffee for the rest of the year! (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
When the DCT first debut some compared the engine with a Honda Fit cut in half.
It turned out it was only a joke, of course.
Recently, I had to replace a broken oil pressure sensor and almost spilled my morning joe when looking at prices in the parts vendors online.
Did some googling and ordered a pressure sensor for a Civic at a substantially reduced price and they are the same although part numbers do not match.
Free coffee for the rest of the year! (y)
Good - to - know.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When passing I hit the downshift button twice and take off.
I used to do that but with the 2019 version, I found a better way to harness DCT.
Trick is to twist the throttle more abruptly and tap the downshift once.
The result is the same 2x downshift with the advantage of having the engine already in the higher rpm for passing.
The "downshift twice" method causes a slight rear wheel slip due to too much engine braking.
If you add throttle to that on slippery surface conditions,
TC may kick in or result in too much rear wheel spin.
Neither would be desirable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm putting my bike back together after experiencing the "fuel tank" issue. People are reporting more pep after they have a new fuel filter in place. I fell in love with the S2 mode when I first got my bike, but then I found myself preferring the S1 towards the end. I figured I was just learning the bike and easing up on it. It will be interesting to see if I can tell the change in pep and if it correlates to the drive mode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,
Very interesting stuff, and thanks to all for there sharing, helps us new owners get a bit more understanding...

Mine, a new 2018 AT DCT, White/red/blue. Now with 600km on the clock.

One of my concerns was how early it changed up, keeping the engine revs low, and maybe lugging the engine, not a good thing on a new engine in my mind, the other is the holding on to a gear a lot longer/later than expected, as mentioned early in this thread by Double Thumper, sort of caught me out, and by the time I had gathered my thoughts and pushed the upshift button, I was at quite high rpm, also happened when I took off from a stop sign, turning right, and gave it more of a handful of power/throttle than it was used to getting, in 1st gear, so yea lots of different scenarios and stuff to lear an get used to, magic how it changes an adapts to riding style and conditions...

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi all,
Very interesting stuff, and thanks to all for there sharing, helps us new owners get a bit more understanding...

One of my concerns was how early it changed up, keeping the engine revs low, and maybe lugging the engine, not a good thing on a new engine in my mind, the other is the holding on to a gear a lot longer/later than expected, as mentioned early in this thread by Double Thumper, sort of caught me out, and by the time I had gathered my thoughts and pushed the upshift button, I was at quite high rpm, also happened when I took off from a stop sign, turning right, and gave it more of a handful of power/throttle than it was used to getting, in 1st gear, so yea lots of different scenarios and stuff to lear an get used to, magic how it changes an adapts to riding style and conditions...
I’ve found that in “D’ mode keeping the RPM’s around 3k will give you a nice shift pattern (or at least one you are use to), In the end it will still end up in a high gear at a low speed but the shift points will feal more “natural“ “D” mode is ALL about fuel economy - and YES it does/will make a difference... Although sometimes because of traffic and roads it’s not very easy to take off and get 3000 rpm’s it is a bit of a fast acceleration...

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Hi all,

Honda engineered this bike, so I reckon they know available low end torque is reliably available from the engine to pull a higher gear when in Drive Mode. After all, they control the DCT gearing in Drive Mode, so they ought to know what is acceptable as fair use of the power. It won't stall, and it can feel lumpy, but it pulls bull-like. If this still feels uncomfortable, ride around in S1 Mode for awhile.

·
Registered
20 Posts
AT-Dragon, I will try the 3k shift point, see how I find it, just looking for some consistency with the shifting, and its all over the place at the mo, but probably because Im yet to understand how it sorts itself, so look forward to trying this, thanks...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Double Thumper, yea Im hearing you, and have had the Honda guys know best sorta thoughts, have been using S1, and S2, but as just mentioned, my shift points are all over the place in rpm at the mo, so yea, now I have a few kms on, I won't be so concerned at low rpm, she has heaps of pull, love the torque on these motors :)
Thoughts of two big pistons doing there thing, lol...
Thanks for the help guys...

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Double Thumper, yea Im hearing you, and have had the Honda guys know best sorta thoughts, have been using S1, and S2, but as just mentioned, my shift points are all over the place in rpm at the mo, so yea, now I have a few kms on, I won't be so concerned at low rpm, she has heaps of pull, love the torque on these motors :)
Thoughts of two big pistons doing there thing, lol...
Thanks for the help guys...
I accepted long ago to trust Honda lumps. The DCT thing is still a relatively new experience, but I have settled down with it.

Overall, I can process more of why we transcend the terrain before us and less on the mechanics of the steed charged with carrying us through. With life much more than halfway passed, there are some things not worth fussing over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Double Thumper, Sounds good, looking forward to settling into her myself.
How long have you owned.? How many Kms you done.?

I'm taking onboard your comment, ( With life much more than half way past, there are some things not worth fussing over )... I need to fuss less, and yea, I'm in my later years/area of life, time flies, and we never know whats around the next corner, enjoy while we can :D

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Double Thumper, Sounds good, looking forward to settling into her myself.
How long have you owned.? How many Kms you done.?

I'm taking onboard your comment, ( With life much more than half way past, there are some things not worth fussing over )... I need to fuss less, and yea, I'm in my later years/area of life, time flies, and we never know whats around the next corner, enjoy while we can :D
So far about six+ months and 5000 kms. This is much less than expected, but these are unexpected times. I had another DCT model prior to this for eight months and about 12000 kms. So here I am with a '19 AT DCT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool, we never got 19my in NZ, so the dealer tells me, as there were many 18s in the Honda importers store, but I'm led to believe the 18 and 19my are the same, and I decided I defiantly wanted the later dash, TBW throttle, and other upgrades, had a choice of the white, or a black with black wheels, and bronze decals, had not seen the black in the flesh, so went with the white, after I purchased the white, the dealer got the black in, and I got to see it, liked it a whole lot more than expected, have a hate for gloss black, as its soooo hard to keep, shoes every scratch, touch and rub, but the satin was very cool, and I'm now thinking easier and more tough than the gloss I got, to keep and will continue to look good long term, so maybe I'm wishing I got the black at the mo...
Red ones, white ones, the odd silver, seem to be seen on our roads, not seen a black yet out an about, so a bit more rare to....

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Cool, we never got 19my in NZ, so the dealer tells me, as there were many 18s in the Honda importers store, but I'm led to believe the 18 and 19my are the same, and I decided I defiantly wanted the later dash, TBW throttle, and other upgrades, had a choice of the white, or a black with black wheels, and bronze decals, had not seen the black in the flesh, so went with the white, after I purchased the white, the dealer got the black in, and I got to see it, liked it a whole lot more than expected, have a hate for gloss black, as its soooo hard to keep, shoes every scratch, touch and rub, but the satin was very cool, and I'm now thinking easier and more tough than the gloss I got, to keep and will continue to look good long term, so maybe I'm wishing I got the black at the mo...
Red ones, white ones, the odd silver, seem to be seen on our roads, not seen a black yet out an about, so a bit more rare to....
Not much choice in Canada. For 2019 we got the matte metallic black and the white with French flag colours (for the ATAS model). I agree with you, the matte metallic black seems durable and low maintenance. Example: I will never have to "wax" the paint job.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts