Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I’d share that I was able to install the Hepco & Becker handguards on my ATAS with the Touratech 20mm Bridged Riser.

I had to special order M8x70 (70mm long) countersunk screws to make it work. (The M8x50 screws that came with the H&B Handguard set obviously wouldn’t work with the additional 20mm riser installed—just weren’t quite long enough to bite, yet alone hold it all in place).

But once the screws arrived and I installed the Handguards, it all seems to fit very well. No problems with alignment—even with the additional 20mm height at the bar clamps.

***I watched a video on the install of these bars on a 2017 standard AT and the installer removed the weights in the grips per the instructions, assuming the weight of the guards would make up for it. My instructions did not call for removing the weights on the 2018 ATAS. The handguards appear very well built and strong—but they aren’t all that heavy, really. So, we’ll see how she handles. (Haven’t ridden yet).

They connect inside, at the bar clamps, with flanges that fit snuggly into the OEM top clamp screw holes and tighten down real well with the 70mm screws. The set comes with flush washer-type caps for the screws for additional clamping strength at the bar clamp. There is a bit of a gap between the top of the H&B clamps and the OEM clamp—this is normal, I checked with H&B, they want a flat surface for their clamp point. Tightened down to proper torque, the bars won't move—I think the flanges play a part here.

The outside (grip) screw connects to the weight in the grip (much like the OEM did) but their grip screw is a bit longer to accommodate the additional brace and has a much larger hex socket driver head.

The guards line up perfectly well with the groves in the OEM shields. They line up perfectly well in general. Everything looks great.

But best of all, I can’t imagine a stronger setup for handguard protection. These things are solid as hẹll. My bars, grips and shields should be safe in any fall or tip-over. For that matter, I should be able to run through small trees with these things and knock them down or out of the way—these things mean business.

I haven’t ridden the bike yet, but I imagine there will be a bit more overall weight to the bars. We’ll have to see how that plays. Worst case, I can remove the grip weights, I suppose, but I don't think it will be a problem--they really aren't that heavy.

But all in, I am happy with the protection and the looks—very subtle, the way I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I have yet to install the H&B handguards but will do so over the winter months. I think the handguards are the best looking option after looking at Barkbusters and other options, in fact I like the look of the OEM shields better than aftermarket ones. The bike looks great!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts