Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Droppin' in and sayin' hello! Currently, I am living in Fremont County, Colorado and ride a Concours 14. Looking at adding an AT to the garage for adventuring down the gravel roads I've been passing.

Road to and spent a few days adventuring around Death Valley this past June. While it was a great experience, I really needed a lighter, more off-pavement capable bike. I want to return to DV with the AT.
Picture below is at the top of the Burr Trail in UT.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome tot he forum! I just cringed a little thinking about bringing a bike like the Concours 14 off the paved roads. Did you install some sort of protection for the underside?
I can see why you would want to add the Africa Twin to your Garage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome tot he forum! I just cringed a little thinking about bringing a bike like the Concours 14 off the paved roads. Did you install some sort of protection for the underside?
I can see why you would want to add the Africa Twin to your Garage.

I did not. Well, wait. I did take a soup can and with a Dremel, I completely cut off the open end lip. Then, cut three long slits longitudinally. Wrapped it with a plastic beer can label (Red Leg) and slipped it over the oil filter. Snug as a bug! Been there well over 5k miles. :wink2:

Extra vigilance utilized all the time. Had to get up off the seat for this descent!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Droppin' in and sayin' hello! Currently, I am living in Fremont County, Colorado and ride a Concours 14. Looking at adding an AT to the garage for adventuring down the gravel roads I've been passing.

Road to and spent a few days adventuring around Death Valley this past June. While it was a great experience, I really needed a lighter, more off-pavement capable bike. I want to return to DV with the AT.
Picture below is at the top of the Burr Trail in UT.
welcome marc, glad you've found us!! so how was the Connie off track?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did not. Well, wait. I did take a soup can and with a Dremel, I completely cut off the open end lip. Then, cut three long slits longitudinally. Wrapped it with a plastic beer can label (Red Leg) and slipped it over the oil filter. Snug as a bug! Been there well over 5k miles. :wink2:
Can not tell if you are serious or not but if you are, that's some DiY skills!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
welcome marc, glad you've found us!! so how was the Connie off track?

Ms. Connie does well. Treat her with respect, and have not been let down.

Can not tell if you are serious or not but if you are, that's some DiY skills!

It's for real. Let me get a picture. :grin2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great to have you on the forum. That pic in your opening post is really nice.

Where are you planning on moving to? Colorado is beautiful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great to have you on the forum. That pic in your opening post is really nice.

Where are you planning on moving to? Colorado is beautiful.

Just returned last night from a seven-day ride up to the Bonneville Salt Flats (the only real destination) ID, OR, and northern CA.

My favorite places are Colorado, Utah, and southern California. Where might I be headed? Not sure. Stuff is now in storage and the house is sold. Still hanging out in CO, though.

I like vacationing and riding here, but residing here is different. Might be heading back to southern mid-TN. Riding is a year-round event as it turns out, however, it is really cold out here in the winter. :surprise:
Returning at anytime is always an option for me these days. Still watching the nearby housing market though.

If I stay, the Africa Twin is going to be with me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just returned last night from a seven-day ride up to the Bonneville Salt Flats (the only real destination) ID, OR, and northern CA.

My favorite places are Colorado, Utah, and southern California. Where might I be headed? Not sure. Stuff is now in storage and the house is sold. Still hanging out in CO, though.

I like vacationing and riding here, but residing here is different. Might be heading back to southern mid-TN. Riding is a year-round event as it turns out, however, it is really cold out here in the winter. :surprise:
Returning at anytime is always an option for me these days. Still watching the nearby housing market though.

If I stay, the Africa Twin is going to be with me.
yea i heard that colorado is changing, more and more yuppie life migrating from the coasts or something along those lines..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Those areas are nice, I live along the north east coast and for me moving south would be best, rather have it be warmer for most of the year than it is up north.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soup can!

The Red Leg beer can label is long gone it seems. :surprise:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No kidding. Scares me sometimes!

·