Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Girls,
Ive just ordered an ex demo Africa Twin Adventure sport in the 30th Anniversary edition colour scheme.

The local Honda dealer I bought it from was well aware of the recall on the fuel tank filter, and that work is being done this week at the dealership before I take delivery.

It’s not a new bike of course, but as a dealer demo I got a reasonable deal on it, and it has only done 275 miles!

My very first bike bought back in 1981 was a Honda , an XL125S, which back then I loved.

The bike scene has moved on a bit now of course, and my new ATDS has DCT, ABS etc etc so if going to be a fun learning curve for me.

I’m very excited to see it when it arrives, will share pictures then of course!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much! I am looking forward to having lots of riding adventures on it!

Also one of the reasons to get back into a Honda was the wide range of accessories available to add on.

I do like a bit of tinkering with my tools!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I totally agree. They sure are fun. That's something I love about owning one of these. The amount of customization and options is endless, couple this with a great community of smart and helpful people, and it makes the hobby that much more enjoyable.

What are you thinking about adding to the bike? Any changes you're planning?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree. They sure are fun. That's something I love about owning one of these. The amount of customization and options is endless, couple this with a great community of smart and helpful people, and it makes the hobby that much more enjoyable.

What are you thinking about adding to the bike? Any changes you're planning?
Well I have some very nice Rigid Industry Dually spot lights that were going to go on my Land Rover Defender, but I think they would look good on my ATDS protection bar, obviously wired in with the genuine Honda wiring loom and switch naturally!

·
Administrator
2,478 Posts
It’s not a new bike of course, but as a dealer demo I got a reasonable deal on it, and it has only done 275 miles!
Nothing wrong with a demo. My first Africa Twin 2016 was a demo with about as many miles. I put a lot more trouble free miles on it before trading it on my current 2019 ATAS.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing wrong with a demo. My first Africa Twin 2016 was a demo with about as many miles. I put a lot more trouble free miles on it before trading it on my current 2019 ATAS.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers Bud, I figured with miles that low it’s as good as new, and the dealer is doing the first service for free too, so it’s good to go, and I bet it’s not really run in with those miles on it as well!

Like all things when I look to buy fun toys the budget suffers from Project Scope Creep, I started looking at cheap off road Enduro bikes having previously owned A Yamaha WRF450F and a KTM 250SX, but I figured it would be more dual sport riding than pure off road so the search began, mostly because I was bored sitting at home due to Covid lockdown!

I started looking at KTM 790 adventures, and found one for £10k new at a local dealer, as the 890 model had replaced it,but someone snapped that one up.

I did briefly think about a new 890, but the price tag of £13k put me off.

Then I don’t know how, but I came around to looking at the new Africa Twin 1100, but was also blown away when the top of the range with DCT was £18k!

I think I have been out of the bike game too long, having also looked at BMW GS, but again at £20k it’s just madness.

So most unlike me I decided to be sensible and started the search for a nearly new ATAS, and this is where I ended up!

Im as excited as a young boy hope for a new push bike for Christmas!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin crf1100 ES adventure sport.
27 Posts
If you ever want a tour of Derbyshire and Yorkshire drop me a line, I have had my AFT AS a month now and gagging to get out as soon as lockdown ends.....

CC4F8182-00EC-41AF-AB18-8045DB562EF6.jpeg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you ever want a tour of Derbyshire and Yorkshire drop me a line, I have had my AFT AS a month now and gagging to get out as soon as lockdown ends.....

View attachment 60167
Wow that sounds like a great offer bud!

Many thanks for posting, I’m sure I will be taking you up on that offer!

Did quite a lot of riding around Chatsworth and local areas there, but that was many moons ago!

Would be nice to find some green lanes to ride too, I used to be a member of TRF, so I think I might join up to that again too!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congratulations on you new bike. i have got the ATAS manual one week today but due the circumstances have not been able to get out on it, so i have just literally rode it home. I was a bit disappointed about this recall but hopefully the new filter will sort it out. i can't wait to get a good run on it. I would really like to do the nc500 and also tour Wales if permitted this year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow that sounds like a great offer bud!

Many thanks for posting, I’m sure I will be taking you up on that offer!

Did quite a lot of riding around Chatsworth and local areas there, but that was many moons ago!

Would be nice to find some green lanes to ride too, I used to be a member of TRF, so I think I might join up to that again too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
No problem at all, the green lanes suitable for our bikes are becoming very restrictive but there are still a few good ones left, as for the TRF I wouldn't both TBH the lanes are getting closed down no matter how hard they try, I have just semi retired from the enduro scene due to a illness that is giving me a few issues, over the years of racing and going out laneing nearly every weekend the lanes have halved, so its a case of take the chance and ride them or ride the most boring stuff that's left, for proper enduro enthusiasts it not a challenge...

6345256E-1BD0-45A3-A47D-550ACC9C7215_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
5,138 Posts
Cheers Bud, I figured with miles that low it’s as good as new, and the dealer is doing the first service for free too, so it’s good to go, and I bet it’s not really run in with those miles on it as well!

Like all things when I look to buy fun toys the budget suffers from Project Scope Creep, I started looking at cheap off road Enduro bikes having previously owned A Yamaha WRF450F and a KTM 250SX, but I figured it would be more dual sport riding than pure off road so the search began, mostly because I was bored sitting at home due to Covid lockdown!

I started looking at KTM 790 adventures, and found one for £10k new at a local dealer, as the 890 model had replaced it,but someone snapped that one up.

Then I don’t know how, but I came around to looking at the new Africa Twin 1100, but was also blown away when the top of the range with DCT was £18k!

I think I have been out of the bike game too long, having also looked at BMW GS, but again at £20k it’s just madness.

So most unlike me I decided to be sensible and started the search for a nearly new ATAS, and this is where I ended up!

I once thought $5000 was too much for a bike. But that was soooo long ago. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I once thought $5000 was too much for a bike. But that was soooo long ago. :rolleyes:
i agree, but when we first started buying our Montesa Cotas they were only a few thousand pounds ! Now that was a real bargain!

·
Administrator
2,478 Posts

KTM still lists the 790 Adventure MY2020 in the US Market, but not the R model. The 890's replaced it as you say, but they have been having a hard time getting them here. Same with the 690 Enduro R. We recently purchased a 2021 690 and they mentioned while we were picking it up that it may be the only one they get this year.

Also as you mentioned, KTM and BMW aren't cheap. Paid more for that little 690 Enduro R than my Demo 2016 AT.

I assume in the UK the demos are still sold as "new" with full warranty and all? They are here, though I never needed warranty service. It never needed anything other than consumables.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well done mate ... sounds like there maybe a ride out to be had when the situation allows? I am getting a 2017 DCT on Thurs next week so like you I am a bit excited! Unlike you though I am hopeless on the spanners so add ons will be simple stuff only for me :LOL:
In the West Mids myself so keep an eye out for a black one on the M5 between J7 and J1 when the weather bucks up (y):cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well done mate ... sounds like there maybe a ride out to be had when the situation allows? I am getting a 2017 DCT on Thurs next week so like you I am a bit excited! Unlike you though I am hopeless on the spanners so add ons will be simple stuff only for me :LOL:
In the West Mids myself so keep an eye out for a black one on the M5 between J7 and J1 when the weather bucks up (y):cool:
Sounds good bud! I’m alright on the tools as it happens, I’ve been building Caterham race cars for the last 25 years, my current one is a 620R with a supercharged Ford Duratec running 310bhp via a Sadev flatshift sequential gearbox. So yeah I’m not bad on the tools! 😉😉😉🤓🤓😂😂

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds good bud! I’m alright on the tools as it happens, I’ve been building Caterham race cars for the last 25 years, my current one is a 620R with a supercharged Ford Duratec running 310bhp via a Sadev flatshift sequential gearbox. So yeah I’m not bad on the tools! 😉😉😉🤓🤓😂😂
Wow ... not a clue what that all means but sounds amazing ;) ... Caterhams are lovely, saw some superb ones at Caffeine & the Machine once ... I had a Duratec engine in a Ford Ka once, does that count?
Enjoy the new bike mate and see you on the road some time (y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome nigel, I've got the manual model same colour scheme, it's a really great riding position on the AT you will love it, DCT will be interesting. I struggle with all the buttons on the bike it does so many things, still it whiles away the hours messing with them in the garage 😂

1 - 20 of 56 Posts