Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
hi no
Wow ... not a clue what that all means but sounds amazing ;) ... Caterhams are lovely, saw some superb ones at Caffeine & the Machine once ... I had a Duratec engine in a Ford Ka once, does that count?
Enjoy the new bike mate and see you on the road some time (y)
If you have seen Caterham’s at Caffeine and Machine chances are you have seen mine, we used to go all the time!

Like most things can’t wait to go back out for meet ups again!

Thanks again and hope to meet up sometime in the future!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome nigel, I've got the manual model same colour scheme, it's a really great riding position on the AT you will love it, DCT will be interesting. I struggle with all the buttons on the bike it does so many things, still it whiles away the hours messing with them in the garage 😂
yes I think it will be quite an experience and learning curve, i can see me sitting in the garage for hours just playing with stuff!

And my 2019 model seems positively simple for buttons and controls, I mean just check out the latest version left hand handle bar!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome @nigelpugh7! I highly doubt we’ll ever cross trails on our AT’s, but I am sure we will swap a story or two here.

I had a XL185 as a teen, so can definitely relate to the memories and fun times. I suppose that is why we keep doing this, right? I just can’t give it up and can’t wait for the next adventure.

Sorry you have to wait for your baby, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Ride safe!
Bookem

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Welcome @nigelpugh7! I highly doubt we’ll ever cross trails on our AT’s, but I am sure we will swap a story or two here.

I had a XL185 as a teen, so can definitely relate to the memories and fun times. I suppose that is why we keep doing this, right? I just can’t give it up and can’t wait for the next adventure.

Sorry you have to wait for your baby, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Ride safe!
Bookem
no probs buddy, good to know you had an XL185, that was the bike I planned to upgrade to from my XL125, but in the end I went a bit more hard core and bought a Suzuzki PE175, lots of fun but very highly strung bike, and almost lethal on the road too.

Back in the 80’s here in the UK, when you took your motorcycle test, the examiner would send you on a course around well known roads, and he would observe you at certain locations.

One of the parts of the test was the emergency stop, where he would hide on a straight section of road and jump out on you to make you perform the emergency stop.

I took my bike test on that Suzuki PE175, and the brakes we so sharpe and efficient that I stopped probably about 100ft short of where he jumped out, so stopped well in time for the emergency stop.

The examiner had to walk from where he was to where I was sat ticking over on my bike!

Looking back now I wondered if that would be a fail, but it obviously wasn’t because he passed me first time.

amazing to think that was 40 years ago now too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
no probs buddy, good to know you had an XL185, that was the bike I planned to upgrade to from my XL125, but in the end I went a bit more hard core and bought a Suzuzki PE175, lots of fun but very highly strung bike, and almost lethal on the road too.

Back in the 80’s here in the UK, when you took your motorcycle test, the examiner would send you on a course around well known roads, and he would observe you at certain locations.

One of the parts of the test was the emergency stop, where he would hide on a straight section of road and jump out on you to make you perform the emergency stop.

I took my bike test on that Suzuki PE175, and the brakes we so sharpe and efficient that I stopped probably about 100ft short of where he jumped out, so stopped well in time for the emergency stop.

The examiner had to walk from where he was to where I was sat ticking over on my bike!

Looking back now I wondered if that would be a fail, but it obviously wasn’t because he passed me first time.

amazing to think that was 40 years ago now too!
Well ... firstly the Caterham ooooh yes, that's lovely, really nice!
Secondly ... reading Bookem's post and then your's then it might be parallel lives! :D if we are talking about the Suzuki TL185 then my first bike was one (same as pic and same colour) and past my test the same way i.e. bloke running around the block and observing me at different points! Soon tired of the 185 and moved onto a CX500 and then onto a GS 1000 ... and too many bikes since ... but the TL185 will always have a place in my heart

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well ... firstly the Caterham ooooh yes, that's lovely, really nice!
Secondly ... reading Bookem's post and then your's then it might be parallel lives! :D if we are talking about the Suzuki TL185 then my first bike was one (same as pic and same colour) and past my test the same way i.e. bloke running around the block and observing me at different points! Soon tired of the 185 and moved onto a CX500 and then onto a GS 1000 ... and too many bikes since ... but the TL185 will always have a place in my heart
How funny is that re parallel lives!

The Suzuki PE ( Premier Enduro IIRC!) was a proper beast and a real enduro bike built for completion use.

I bought it from a Motorcyle Dealer in Birmingham, Wakelin and Ward, based over in Perry Barr I think.

It caused quite a stir with my biker mates, as the most extreme thing they had was. Yamaha DT175, a great bike but by comparison the PE was a proper off road bike, I loved it.

I also bought the most beautifully made stiched leather tank protector for it, which was the same blue as the decals, I loved that look.

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Hi and welcome

Reactions: nigelpugh7

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bit of an update today.

My Honda dealer has been in touch to let me know the warranty work has been completed on the fuel tank on my bike.

And they also confirmed it’s due to be delivered next week too!

Wow I’m so excited, i feel like a big kid again.

And now I think back, I remember that very first Honda XL bike I bought being delivered to my parents house as I was at work.

In fact it was one of the reasons my parents let me buy a motorcycle in the first place, as an apprentice electrician I would ride my push bike to work every day over to the centre of Solihull, so a full day of work, and ride home.

I was worn out most days I can tell you!

So that day, I had come home on my pedal bike, gone in the house. Had some dinner in the kitchen and was watching TV, my parents hadn’t said a thing.

Then my Dad asked me to find something in the garage for him, I remember opening the door from the kitchen to the garage and seeing my new bike sat there gleaming!

I remember feeling like the luckiest lad in the world.

So now you know what I am going to be like next week!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
View attachment 60371

My PE 175 was ace I thrashed the cobblers off that bike and it just kept going...... View attachment 60372
oh wow those pictures take me back.

Beleive it or not, the local West Midlands police force hosted organised off road events for us back in the 80s, they were quarry ride type events.

most people who went to them had Honda XL and Yamaha DT bikes. So my PE 175 was something everyone thought was a bit special !

Those were happier days back then, good times.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So my New ( to me) ATAS , had had its tank warranty work done now, and will be delivered to me this Tuesday! I’m as excited as a little school boy!

Of course pictures when I get home from work later on Tuesday !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Guys and Girls,
Ive just ordered an ex demo Africa Twin Adventure sport in the 30th Anniversary edition colour scheme.

The local Honda dealer I bought it from was well aware of the recall on the fuel tank filter, and that work is being done this week at the dealership before I take delivery.

It’s not a new bike of course, but as a dealer demo I got a reasonable deal on it, and it has only done 275 miles!

My very first bike bought back in 1981 was a Honda , an XL125S, which back then I loved.

The bike scene has moved on a bit now of course, and my new ATDS has DCT, ABS etc etc so if going to be a fun learning curve for me.

I’m very excited to see it when it arrives, will share pictures then of course!

View attachment 60163

View attachment 60164
Welcome to the group.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts