Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The paintwork up close is really stunning!

Didn’t know the white is actually pearlescent, hard to photo well though!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Also love the fact that the front LED indicators come on with the ignition as marker lights!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
And of course the LED Headlights with Halo rings are a nice touch too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So first ride of my Africa Twin Adventure Sport today.

Just a quick ride to a local job in Warwick for a site inspection for our drone work.

The wind was the biggest issue as it turned out, as I went through the back lanes from home through some of my favourite and well known roads around Lapworth areas, at Times on exposed field areas my bike was pushed way off the vertical even on straight roads by the really strong gusting crosswinds.

But what a first ride, I was blown away!

As an experienced rider of a wide range of all sorts of bikes I was a little apprehensive of the DCT system I must admit.

My concern was the lack of clutch lever, and the fact should I ever need to , I could always reach for the clutch lever.

Which of course you can’t do on a DCT bike, it’s simply not there.

My next concern was low speed manoeuvring and handling, again no clutch to feather.

And my final worry was the frankly bewildering range of selectable options on the modes for riding.

So I’m pleased to report I was worried without a need to be.

The DCT is simply fantastic , it’s almost telepathic in the way it works.

On advice from you guys here, I first pulled away in D so full auto mode.

As described it’s commonly called Dull or Desperate mode, it changes up so fast you are in 6th ( top gear) before you get to 30mph.

So next up was sport mode, and my god what a difference!

It changes gear so intelligently, it’s almost beyond belief.

Fast twisted road section, roll into the corner with a bit of trail braking and it slots down one gear, brake a bit more, and it’ does the same with a nice blip of the throttle.

It’s that good I started laughing to myself in my helmet, as you think to yourself, right 60 zone to 40, set of bends, we are in 4th, I was about to say, brake then 3rd, more brake then 2nd , but the bike had already worked it out and done it!

I’m literally mind blown.

My god me and this bike are going to have some fun together I can tell you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
First few little extras to go with my ATAS today, nice neat little NoCo lithium charger to keep that expensive lithium battery well maintained!

Now to wire it up on my bike!

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
147 Posts
Welcome @nigelpugh7 to the forum! Sounds like you are no stranger to turning wrenches. I don’t hesitate tearing things down, but struggle to make the time to put them back together. Drives my wife nuts, but I can re-assemble most vehicles or motorcycles 5 years later without much thought. I still find it fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Welcome @nigelpugh7 to the forum! Sounds like you are no stranger to turning wrenches. I don’t hesitate tearing things down, but struggle to make the time to put them back together. Drives my wife nuts, but I can re-assemble most vehicles or motorcycles 5 years later without much thought. I still find it fun.
Thanks bud, yes I’m ok on the spanner’s ! Time served electrical engineer, IBM certified network cabling engineer, and Trained Vehicle Mechanical engineer, so I’ve built an engine or two.

My wife says I spend too much on Snap On tools though!

Anyway fitted the NoCo charging socket, and also fitted the spare Ctek battery sense I had too, whilst the battery cables were disconnected.

Only had one slight issue, the fuse for the NoCo charge lead has a waterproof cover which makes it quite bulky.

At first i zip tied it in the battery tray box but then realised that the silly tool box that the tool kit won’t even fit in , actually clips to the bottom of the battery box, so had to cut those zip ties off and move the fuse holder.

Worked out OK in the end though!

this was when the toolbox wouldn’t go back in.

this is the updated cable layout, much better in the end.

Here’s where I managed to locate the Ctek battery sensor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks bud, yes I’m ok on the spanner’s ! Time served electrical engineer, IBM certified network cabling engineer, and Trained Vehicle Mechanical engineer, so I’ve built an engine or two.

My wife says I spend too much on Snap On tools though!

Anyway fitted the NoCo charging socket, and also fitted the spare Ctek battery sense I had too, whilst the battery cables were disconnected.

Only had one slight issue, the fuse for the NoCo charge lead has a waterproof cover which makes it quite bulky.

At first i zip tied it in the battery tray box but then realised that the silly tool box that the tool kit won’t even fit in , actually clips to the bottom of the battery box, so had to cut those zip ties off and move the fuse holder.

Worked out OK in the end though!

View attachment 60586

this was when the toolbox wouldn’t go back in.

View attachment 60587

this is the updated cable layout, much better in the end.

Here’s where I managed to locate the Ctek battery sensor.

View attachment 60588
and here’s the connector for the NoCo charger fitted behind the frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That is the kindest word anyone on the Forum used to describe the Honda Africa Twin "Tool Box".
It’s certainly pretty useless!

I can’t work out why you would need a tool, albeit an Allen key to open it too!

I assume the theory goes that the Allen key is safely stored under the seat protected by the key lock.

But sureley it would have been a better design if the tool box was also under the seat, so safe from thieving hands but easy to access using the seat key.

I am pleased to report that mine came with a full toolkit too, which I happen to think is almost identical to the one supplied back with my little XL125S back in the eighties!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin crf1100 ES adventure sport.
20 Posts
I have just ordered myself on of those chargers looks a nice bit of kit... I am just 3D printing my switch mods for my bike ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I have just ordered myself on of those chargers looks a nice bit of kit... I am just 3D printing my switch mods for my bike ...
yes I noticed your post about the 3D printed switches ! Nice job.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts